• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics (so long and thanks for all the fish)

Incredibly simple? Japan will want us to follow EU or US regulations on cars, so they don't have to make a bespoke UK model. The UK government say we won't follow any EU regulations. We can't influence the regulations of the EU (or US) as we used to. We are trying to replicate an EU trade agreement with Japan, made with the weight of 500m consumers to attract Japan to open up its market, but we're trying to do it with appx a tenth of the consumers in return. You think food producers can produce lots of different qualities of say food e.g. chicken for various markets and that is simple? Chlorinated for the US and UK able to use sheds that are not cleaned of poop for two cycles so the chickens need to be chlorinated, and for export to Japan, we'll provide EU quality chickens...etc etc etc.
Why would they have to make a bespoke UK model? We could just agree not to place any further requirements on manufacturers above the EU standard.

Also known as...following EU standards :D
Nope, that's saying EU regs are our upper limit. We could have fewer regulations and still keep Japanese car manufacturers happy.

Or we could simply agree a trade deal with fewer regulations.

Nope, that's saying EU regs are our upper limit. We could have fewer regulations and still keep Japanese car manufacturers happy.

Or we could simply agree a trade deal with fewer regulations.

Does that logic stack up? What happens If the EU change their car regs, with your setup the UK will then follow?

Similar applies to aviation and many other standards. The UK is not going to be setting global standards. There are only two main global standards - the US and the EU. China with 1.4 billion consumers can crash the party in the coming years and set its own regs, the UK with 60m, no chance. We will be followers, ironically with less control.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Last edited:
Does that logic stack up? What happens If the EU change their car regs, with your setup the UK will then follow?

Similar applies to aviation and many other standards. The UK is not going to be setting global standards. There are only two main global standards - the US and the EU. China with 1.4 billion consumers can crash the party in the coming years and set its own regs, the UK with 60m, no chance. We will be followers, ironically with less control.

That's up to the Japanese car makers. If the EU increases legislation they have the option of making a single model suitable for all or making cheaper UK models and more expensive EU ones. That won't have anything at all to do with our trade deal.

That's up to the Japanese car makers. If the EU increases legislation they have the option of making a single model suitable for all or making cheaper UK models and more expensive EU ones. That won't have anything at all to do with our trade deal.

Though a. we’ll be getting EU determined goods, with no say in what they are like and b. Japan will be extremely interested in whether we’ll follow EU food standards, as the EU deal we’re trying to replicate opens Japan to EU food exports.

Though a. we’ll be getting EU determined goods, with no say in what they are like and b. Japan will be extremely interested in whether we’ll follow EU food standards, as the EU deal we’re trying to replicate opens Japan to EU food exports.

Why the hell would we ever want more regulation than a massive bureaucratic, over-regulated entity like the EU?

If we ever end up with a government retarded enough to want that then we're all fudged anyway.

The Brexit war is over, but some people aren't ready to stop fighting

I didn’t expect to be writing about Brexit this week. Doing Question Time in Buxton last Thursday was a useful reminder that the country is already moving on. The people of Buxton didn’t really want to talk about leaving the EU at all, they wanted to talk about trains. It makes sense. After nearly four years concentrating on the macro, people now want to talk about how the hell they get to work.

I felt surprisingly phlegmatic about the whole thing on Thursday and Friday – but, by Saturday, seeing people online bullying a woman who had clearly spoken on live TV for the first time made me want to vote for Brexit all over again. In fact, it made me want to go for a hard, WTO, up yours Delors, bendy bananas Brexit. Baiting people with lower socio-economic status or poor linguistic skills isn’t a good look for the supposedly caring wing of British politics. If someone really is "thick", then giving them stick for it is just about the least liberal thing you could do. Personally, if my side kept losing votes to the "stupid" alternative, I’d keep quiet about it

Nevertheless, now we've left the EU I’m not going to use Remainers as a broad pejorative anymore. It's ridiculous to think millions of people are anything like some of the #FBPE nutters you get on Twitter.

It didn’t take long for those lazy tropes to come out, of course. Some patronised Leave voters by reminding us that everything things we love originates outside Britain: "Actually St George was born in Palestine, his Dragon was from Westeros…keep Calm & Carry on was culturally appropriated from Hobbits." A few examples of hateful bigots were shared as proof the country was spiralling into a racist dystopia. I hate to break it to you, but we had racists and idiots before Brexit. In fact, I’d go as far to say that racists and idiots have voted in every single election since the dawn of British democracy. I seem to recall the British National Party seeing its first councillor elected in the first councillor in the early 1990s.

I know! The nineties! We even had mindless bigots in the era of free love and acid house. But back then, we didn’t have Twitter or camera phones to share these outliers with the declaration: "This is who we are now!"

Despite Brexit Day having passed, some people still actively want to hold onto futile hostilities. On Friday, I appeared on both The News Quiz and The Last Leg. I had a great time. Despite being in the political minority on both shows, both in terms of the panel and the audience, we had playful back-and-forth and the audiences and fellow guests were generous. Subsequently, a handful of Leave voters accused me of "selling out" by being there. First, I’m a Tory, so it should come as no surprise that I quite like working and getting paid for it. Second, the same people who have moaned at the lack of political diversity on panel shows now seem to be furious that it's starting to happen.

Part two

The truth is Brexit has been a war. All wars leave scars. When they end some people, aren’t ready to stop fighting.

Maybe they're traumatised and over the next few years we’ll see a Brexit version of shell shock. Wards of men and women screaming obscenities at Andrew Neil in the dead of night. Deranged souls diving behind couches when they hear the opening strain of Newsnight. Blokes from Crouch End attacking domestic cats because they thought they saw the spectre of Dominic Cummings beanie hat.

Meanwhile, the vast majority of the country is ready to give moving on a tentative try. The smart ones, anyway. Because what’s really dumb is insulting the people you need to start winning over, or keep hold of, if your wing of politics is to stand any chance of future success.

Thank goodness. There I was thinking our government is still balls deep in EU trade negotiations, Japan and every other meaningful country trade negotiations, trying to protect UK jobs, the value of the pound and the UK economy. [emoji3]

Julian Smith gone as well. That is a travesty.

Authoritarians need syncophants I suppose.

Last edited:
The irony? We have an unelected bureaucrat running our government. I thought that only happened in Brussels!?!

I thought the hyperbole would calm down post Brexit, your claim is based on what?

I could counter by saying the 2 biggest economic decisions made this year were the new chair of the FCA and HS2 both of which your man Dom was allegedly against.

Back