• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Daniel Levy - Chairman

So having taken on £637 million of debt directly to pay for the stadium it should've been fine to take on an extra £100 to £200 million of debt to overhaul the playing squad? Or alternatively taken on £800+ million of debt for the stadium (fine as it is a long life asset) and used the football club generated profits for player spending as we tended to do before embarking on the capital project?
Affordability and profit are two separate measures (over the short term).

The club could have easily borrowed a few £00M more if needed, I'm sure. On infrastructure projects that's an easy choice to make as they'll almost certainly make their money back (plus a return) over the period. I don't think there was a problem with affordability.

But eventually those books have to balance. We have to get value for our purchases and we can't just stockpile players who aren't good enough. We have to be sure the player's we're buying are right. After a period of rapid price inflation, player prices appear to have settled again - we can now go into the market a little more certain than we were at the time.

Portsmouth favourites...give over:D
They got extremely lucky that year. Fluked a win over United and the other big clubs fell surprisingly early. Other than Utd they didn’t play any other top flight team I think and beat a Championship club, Cardiff in the final.

Last edited:
They got extremely lucky that year. Fluked a win over United and the other big clubs fell surprisingly early. Other than Utd they didn’t play any other top flight team I think and beat a Championship club, Cardiff in the final.
Think we're talking about our loss to them in the 2010 semi;)

Boo hisssss.

Now we can go back to enjoying not completing the signing of players until we have played our first four matches of the season.

Great. [emoji52]

What the fudge, why have they voted for that? Is it just so there isn't a discrepancy between selling and buying? If so, couldn't they have closed the window for outbound players before 1 September, or is that not in the league's control?

What the fudge, why have they voted for that? Is it just so there isn't a discrepancy between selling and buying? If so, couldn't they have closed the window for outbound players before 1 September, or is that not in the league's control?

It's because the other European leagues haven't follow the PL's example. Good question on the 2nd part, I'm not sure. I imagine they probably can't.

brick.

But you cannot have a situation every year where you risk losing your best players and be unable to replace for half a season.

It's because the other European leagues haven't follow the PL's example. Good question on the 2nd part, I'm not sure. I imagine they probably can't.
Maybe to do with employment legislation, freedom of movement, etc.

I guess they thought the advantage of not having to sell a player to a rival before the season starts, was outweighed by having a player nicked/unsettled by a club abroad without being able to replace. It will only work if Europe has the same deadline.

I think thats a good move, though it would be better if all the leagues came together and agreed a common, earlier date roughly around mid-August when most leagues start

And look forward to fans bitching for a further three weeks ;)
;)
Yet again another farce of a weekend bought to you by VAR.

Could not agree me, its a fudging joke and was always going to be.

What my favourite buttplug.

Well one thing is obvious we do not need to wait for Xmas to see pantomimes, we have it every week with VAR. What a joke.

fudging joke again.

They are of course but not as big my favourite buttplug as VAR is.

It gets a bigger VARse every week. Killing the game for match going fans.

Its been a fudge up since day one.

Can not really blame Jose for laughing, its my favourite buttplug and its getting worse.

Inny meanny minny moo where VAR is concerned its a fudging joke.

I feel the league had no choice as it leaves everyone vulnerable to European teams unsettling players. Perhaps we should let our window run a week longer so we can do the same to them!

Although I’d prefer everyone’s work to be done and dusted before the league starts it’s less of an issue for us as it’s more likely we’d be doing the unsettling as we shouldn’t have anyone looking to go on strike to play for United any more.

Boo hisssss.

Now we can go back to enjoying not completing the signing of players until we have played our first four matches of the season.

Great. [emoji52]

Levy's shed some bad habits lately - our January just concluded was a pleasant surprise for me, even if we could have done more.

I'm going to hope that he also sheds this stupid obsession with delaying signings by months until it's too late for them to have a pre-season.

Levy's shed some bad habits lately - our January just concluded was a pleasant surprise for me, even if we could have done more.

I'm going to hope that he also sheds this stupid obsession with delaying signings by months until it's too late for them to have a pre-season.
Have you noticed how many signings get done in the last three days of the window compared to the first 8 weeks .... it will never change as clubs don5 fully understand their buying and selling position until someone makes moves

Sad fact is there are some fans who are never satisfied/happy. Ring any bells??

Back