• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Company Car

I wonder why they didn't believe you were serious about buying a £2mil car. Very rude of them.
I think I just took the wrong approach.

Rather than convince them I wanted to buy it, I should have suggested to them that people seeing me hoon about in it for a couple of days would increase demand.

Don't think I want to spend £25k on a car. More like 12k or something around £350 a month max.
Then look no further:
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201912135319929

Perfectly grown up and sensible family car, but it sounds like the video above and goes like a rocket.

If you know your way around a car and you're a bit of a connoisseur then there's always this:
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201912014923566
But you will find yourself fixing bits and pieces here or there if you buy a Maserati.

So, the lease runs out on my current company car which is a BMW 1 series.

The company have given us an option of:

A- Skoda Octavia with a tracker
B - £500 a month allowance to sort our own cars

I have always had company cars and enjoy the no hassle of them. However, I do not want to be driving around in a Skoda! they have given us no choice apart from that car. Im not that old and work in the design industry so for the to give us such a brick car I surprised. I think they don't really want to have to give us a car, they would prefer to give an allowance.

The £500 a month is obviously taxable but id also pay less tax on my wages. I don't really like the idea of leasing a car and the cars I would buy are expensive.

So not sure what I want to do. I work in and around London so would also use the train on some days.

what would you do?

I've always had a passat company car, couldn't get one last year due to VW changing the range so I went to a skoda superb. Its awesome, bigger, quicker and better spec than the passat.
Also a better ride, don't Diss it until you try it.

I do have studded tyres. And believe me, I'm not going anywhere near 50 in the winter. Rarely in the summer too, as I go on a lot of bicyle/pedestrian roads. 25-30 is actually quite enough.
Show us a photo sometime!

@Spursman you'd have a lot of fun in something like this https://www.pistonheads.com/classif...-smg--immaculate----------------2004/10337292 and be able to sell it for more than it cost in a few years time. Great fun car. The convertible is awesome too, softens the lines, and fun in the summer. https://www.pistonheads.com/classif...mw-e46-m3-convertible-silver-grey-smg/9906197

....I'm behind the thread. A 3 series like you had is a nice car for about £10k, and you will be able to resell it when you want a change. Alfa Julia's are quite interesting, stylish. Volkswagen Golf R...

Show us a photo sometime!

@Spursman you'd have a lot of fun in something like this https://www.pistonheads.com/classif...-smg--immaculate----------------2004/10337292 and be able to sell it for more than it cost in a few years time. Great fun car. The convertible is awesome too, softens the lines, and fun in the summer. https://www.pistonheads.com/classif...mw-e46-m3-convertible-silver-grey-smg/9906197

....I'm behind the thread. A 3 series like you had is a nice car for about £10k, and you will be able to resell it when you want a change. Alfa Julia's are quite interesting, stylish. Volkswagen Golf R...
Whatever you do, don't buy a BMW or an Audi.

The performance, quality and depreciation will be good, but every time you open your front door, your heart will sink a little. I had a fairly rapid 5 series for a few years and it was just so boring.

Whatever you do, don't buy a BMW or an Audi.

The performance, quality and depreciation will be good, but every time you open your front door, your heart will sink a little. I had a fairly rapid 5 series for a few years and it was just so boring.

E46 M3 is awesome. 4 seats, biggish boot - practical when you need it. But an absolute hoot to drive. Nice interior, sound system. Get a convertible and use it in the summer too. For the money, its an awesome car. 50k+ new. Buy a manual over an auto though, factor in oil changes and tyres (on average 1.5k a year) and sell it for the same or more when done. They are going up in value.

E46 M3 is awesome. 4 seats, biggish boot - practical when you need it. But an absolute hoot to drive. Nice interior, sound system. Get a convertible and use it in the summer too. For the money, its an awesome car. 50k+ new. Buy a manual over an auto though, factor in oil changes and tyres (on average 1.5k a year) and sell it for the same or more when done. They are going up in value.
I'm not saying it's anything but a very good car,y issue is that it's a soulless tin that goes very fast.

There are so many cars that are marginally less fast but much more enjoyable to own for that money. My personal choice would be an Elise or even a MkIII MR-2 with a K20 swap.

I'm not saying it's anything but a very good car,y issue is that it's a soulless tin that goes very fast.

There are so many cars that are marginally less fast but much more enjoyable to own for that money. My personal choice would be an Elise or even a MkIII MR-2 with a K20 swap.

Evidentially you haven't driven one. Different to a 5 series. A compact M3, sounds decent with no turbos, and urges you on. The manual gear change has a nice mechanical feel, and on a damp day getting the back moving around is a blast! Awful videos on Youtube, had to embrace it and pick the worst:

All that fun from just 10k!

Last edited:
Evidentially you haven't driven one. Different to a 5 series. A compact M3, sounds decent with no turbos, and urges you on. The manual gear change has a nice mechanical feel, and on a damp day getting the back moving around is a blast! Awful videos on Youtube, had to embrace it and pick the worst:

All that fun from just 10k!
I've driven one, never owned one. They're fun on a track, probably more so around the Nurburgring but that place is full of clams.

There isn't a BMW on this planet that I'd want to own.

I've driven one, never owned one. They're fun on a track, probably more so around the Nurburgring but that place is full of clams.

There isn't a BMW on this planet that I'd want to own.

Not designed for the track, not that fast or tight. Breaks are good but not track ready. Perfect on the road. Modern performance cars seem too quick for road use, older performance cars of this era are a sweet spot for road use? More fun and you're not breaking the law within 3 seconds of accelerating. You don't have to drive these cars fast though. Their beauty is they are quite happy running around town. Bags of shopping etc.

Definitely not, never felt comfortable in it and family didn't like it, cost a fortune to have it serviced, sold it after 2 years, real shame as I'd wanted one for nearly 40 years.
I've always wanted one too. I test drove the V6 a few years ago and it didn't feel like a Jag. Good car, but not nearly interesting enough, luxurious enough or powerful enough to be a real Jag.

The V8 isn't any more luxurious but it does win the other two.

Not designed for the track, not that fast or tight. Breaks are good but not track ready. Perfect on the road. Modern performance cars seem too quick for road use, older performance cars of this era are a sweet spot for road use? More fun and you're not breaking the law within 3 seconds of accelerating. You don't have to drive these cars fast though. Their beauty is they are quite happy running around town. Bags of shopping etc.
But then people will see you in a BMW and think you have a criminal record ;)

But then people will see you in a BMW and think you have a criminal record ;)

Jags have been associated with thieves and swindlers. Balding dodgy men! Audis released/took over bmw stereotypes, now old bm's are just cool. How about this car? Will have to get one one day... Too fast to explore fully on the road. You mentioned the ring:

Then look no further:
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201912135319929

Perfectly grown up and sensible family car, but it sounds like the video above and goes like a rocket.

If you know your way around a car and you're a bit of a connoisseur then there's always this:
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201912014923566
But you will find yourself fixing bits and pieces here or there if you buy a Maserati.
My mate has a maserati, his kids refuse to get in the back as the ride is so uncomfortable.

I've always had a passat company car, couldn't get one last year due to VW changing the range so I went to a skoda superb. Its awesome, bigger, quicker and better spec than the passat.
Also a better ride, don't Diss it until you try it.

Im sure its nice to drive. I had a prius once, also nice to drive but its a vile looking car.

Back