• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Climate Change

The greatest challenge is human psychology. We are not designed to act beyond our lifetimes. As everyone in power won't be around to see the more dramatic effects of climate change, whether they admit it or not, they kinda stops them acting. Even kids today won't see the worst of it. And maybe secretly you're upset you'll miss the apocalyptic events! The problem is, humans are designed to care for themselves. We can't really think, feel and project effectively. At the end of this century is when the world will suffer seismic changes. Trump, Boris, you and I will be unlikely to be here. Unless there is a scientific medical breakthrough prolonging human life - which would devastate the world even more!
Seriously?

OK. Have fun.

Edit: your take on the timescale is utterly wrong by the way.

Last edited:
I know this is old, but it actually gave me sweaty palms.. But the trajectory seems irreversible at this point.

earth_temperature_timeline.png
Why pick the timescale around human existence? The Earth has been around a lot longer than that and didn't start in an ice age.

There is flooding everywhere mate. You can see it dramatically in some places say like Miami. Average sea level there is up 6 inches in the last decade or two. This manifests as more frequent flooding downtown but eventually, it will engulf Miami (even though they are raising the roads - narrator: it won't work). Venice is another example of something similar. New York last year got hit badly too. Places susceptible to flooding will flood more frequently with storm swells but low lying areas are doomed and will eventually get overwhelmed.

My opinion is that there are already so many warning signs in the news daily that if you still need a wake up call then you're a bit thick, a denier or a nihilist.

Edit: this is the article that jolted me into action from defcon1 to defcon3 (in my own head). It is a few years old and he then wrote an even more horrific book of the same name...
http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2017/07/climate-change-earth-too-hot-for-humans.html

That article is fuuuuucked

Uhh to illustrate the undeniable human influence on global temperatures?
What influence did people have 20K years ago? The scale was chosen because it was the lowest temp in the (post atmosphere) history of the Earth.

I'm not saying that humans haven't affected temperatures, but when someone chooses arbitrary scales to try and make a point, their view should be dismissed.

Edit:

The following graph is taken from someone who (I assume, based on their site address) is at least as biased in the other direction. But it's useful to show just how cherry picked the graph you posted is:

1500px-All_palaeotemps.svg.png

Careful with the horizontal scale on there - it's not linear.

Uhh to illustrate the undeniable human influence on global temperatures?
Human's have had an influence on the climate, yes, agreed.... but there have been hotter periods and colder periods in the earth's history when there were no human's around to cause them. We are in an interstadial at the moment, (ie between ice ages) and there will no doubt be another as the last one was at it's greatest extent 25,000 years in the northern hemisphere.... the earth seems to have the ability to wipe out species that really endanger it!

Human's have had an influence on the climate, yes, agreed.... but there have been hotter periods and colder periods in the earth's history when there were no human's around to cause them. We are in an interstadial at the moment, (ie between ice ages) and there will no doubt be another as the last one was at it's greatest extent 25,000 years in the northern hemisphere.... the earth seems to have the ability to wipe out species that really endanger it!

It would do well to get rid of us! A disease of a kind. That is unless we can turn it around. The frustrating thing is we have the know-how and infrastructures of science, developed economies, inter-governmental frameworks to cooperate globally. How can all that translate into faster effective action?

This warming is all us. The orbital cycle should have us on a downslope into the next ice age but we've managed to buck that trend.
Was it us 20000 years ago? Because that's what the creator of that chart is (imo, intentionally) making it look like.

Nope, it wasn't us 20000 years ago.
Hence my point. Cherry picking a start point of the lowest temperature the earth has had as evidence of what man has done to the planet is particularly disingenuous.

It will be impossible to make people believe and make changes when zealots keep using bad science to try and fool people when good science will do the job.

Last edited:
Hence my point. Cherry picking a start point of the lowest temperature the earth has had as evidence of what man has done to the planet is particularly disingenuous.

It will be impossible to make people believe and make changes when zealots keep using bas science to try and fool people when good science will do the job.
To be honest I wouldn't really worry about the last few hold outs. If you are still a denier at this stage the only science that will matter is when they cut your skull open in a lab to see what's wrong with you.

To be honest I wouldn't really worry about the last few hold outs. If you are still a denier at this stage the only science that will matter is when they cut your skull open in a lab to see what's wrong with you.
It might be the minority that think that way but it's enough to create a drag on societal changes.

I give a fudge, but not enough to not buy a V8. If society deems that completely unacceptable them I'll have to run the clams over change my behaviour. There's plenty of people for whom man-made climate change isn't a binary answer. People like those creating that chart leave enough doubt in the minds of enough people that we can't fix it.

It will be impossible to make people believe and make changes when zealots keep using bas science to try and fool people when good science will do the job.

It’s bad science not to recognise that the rate of current temperature change is unprecedented. The world has warmed and cooled before, but never at this rate of change.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Back