• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Climate Change

Sounds interesting. He seems to be heavily invested in that kind of thing - wasn't he one of the investors in those micro-nuclear plants they've got buried in the desert?
It is the beginning of a solution at least for one of the trickier areas where previously no obvious carbon free path existed. The clever bit is that they have made the efficiencies through the better use of computing power rather than capital outlay. Micro adjustments of the mirrors are calculated and made in real time so they never waver from the target for a microsecond. Computing power is getting cheaper by the day so it was a good way to approach the problem.

Gates seems to be invested in a lot of green tech but I haven't heard about the micro nuclear plants.

It is the beginning of a solution at least for one of the trickier areas where previously no obvious carbon free path existed. The clever bit is that they have made the efficiencies through the better use of computing power rather than capital outlay. Micro adjustments of the mirrors are calculated and made in real time so they never waver from the target for a microsecond. Computing power is getting cheaper by the day so it was a good way to approach the problem.

Gates seems to be invested in a lot of green tech but I haven't heard about the micro nuclear plants.
It seems to have been shelved for now. The theory was that lots of small, underground reactors could be safer and more efficient than one large one. I think they claimed to be able to get as small as around 10m3.

It was also supposed to run on the waste from other nuclear power stations, which I found a little far fetched. Not impossible, but just unlikely.

Anyone see the new Tesla truck unveiling. Funny as fudge.

(ps: note to the 5 year old designer of that horror - curves, draw them)

I know this is old, but it actually gave me sweaty palms.. But the trajectory seems irreversible at this point.

earth_temperature_timeline.png

Using current models, to limit temperature to a 1.5c increase (best case above) we would need to reduce the average GHG emission 15% globally year on year starting this year. We've almost certainly missed that boat already. Emissions are still increasing. And just to put that in perspective, a 1.5c average increase is literally hell on earth for millions of people and genocide for most small islanders.

4c increase is the end of civilisation as we know it, and that is not hyperbole.

Why hasn't sea levels risen already? What does science say about the lag or how long it might take to see an increased see level. Such a dramatic event might give people a wake-up call.

Why hasn't sea levels risen already? What does science say about the lag or how long it might take to see an increased see level. Such a dramatic event might give people a wake-up call.
There is flooding everywhere mate. You can see it dramatically in some places say like Miami. Average sea level there is up 6 inches in the last decade or two. This manifests as more frequent flooding downtown but eventually, it will engulf Miami (even though they are raising the roads - narrator: it won't work). Venice is another example of something similar. New York last year got hit badly too. Places susceptible to flooding will flood more frequently with storm swells but low lying areas are doomed and will eventually get overwhelmed.

My opinion is that there are already so many warning signs in the news daily that if you still need a wake up call then you're a bit thick, a denier or a nihilist.

Edit: this is the article that jolted me into action from defcon1 to defcon3 (in my own head). It is a few years old and he then wrote an even more horrific book of the same name...
http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2017/07/climate-change-earth-too-hot-for-humans.html

Last edited:
Yep that doesn't seem a lot if you consider one year in isolation but the rate of increase has started to go up. We've hit an inflection point and all predictions on this are dire. However I will also say that sea-level rise is the scary poster boy of climate change but not really the worst problem by far.

Yep that doesn't seem a lot if you consider one year in isolation but the rate of increase has started to go up. We've hit an inflection point and all predictions on this are dire. However I will also say that sea-level rise is the scary poster boy of climate change but not really the worst problem by far.

The greatest challenge is human psychology. We are not designed to act beyond our lifetimes. As everyone in power won't be around to see the more dramatic effects of climate change, whether they admit it or not, that kinda stops them acting. Even kids today won't see the worst of it. And maybe secretly you're upset you'll miss the apocalyptic events! The problem is, humans are designed to care for themselves. We can't really think, feel and project effectively into the future. At the end of this century is when the world will suffer seismic changes. Trump, Boris, you and I will be unlikely to be here. Unless there is a scientific medical breakthrough prolonging human life - which would devastate the world even more!

Back