• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Christian Eriksen

That’s what I was thinking too.

If we show we are still using him and prepared to play him, then he has a perceived value to us. This gives Levy an angle in negotiations rather than a complete position of weakness.

Yes, though equally we need to get shot of him as he's worth zero to us after 31 Jan, and worth almost zero to us on the pitch.

Would also be a breath of fresh air not having the speculation around him constantly being talked about and move on

It's not the big step up he probably hoped for, but he leaves for a good team with a good manager in a different country. More of a sideways move to a different league, IMO. He'll likely win trophies there too, so I doubt he's very disappointed.

He's been a great servant for the club, so personally I'll try to remember him for his good years and don't let his recent efforts - or rather lack of - taint his reputation too much.
He's never said that Tottenham wasn't "big" enough, or didn't match his ambitions, or that he wanted to join a "bigger" club. All he has said is that he wants a new experience.

He's never said that Tottenham wasn't "big" enough, or didn't match his ambitions, or that he wanted to join a "bigger" club. All he has said is that he wants a new experience.

This isn't all Eriksen problem imv, he has always said he wanted to try something new. As a well paid sportsman I'm sure he doesn't have worry about money, it's a lifestyle he wants to change and try something different.

The problem is we over valued him and scared people off. Levys reputation doesn't help and I think what happened with coutinho at barca has made people wary.

Eriksen should have been sold last summer for £30m. But no one would pay £40-50m that was his perceived value by Spurs.
So he's done us up like a Ramsey.
This will happen more and more.

Eriksen should have been sold last summer for £30m. But no one would pay £40-50m that was his perceived value by Spurs.
So he's done us up like a Ramsey.
This will happen more and more.

Doesnt that imply that the problem was with us? We were asking for something which no-one else was prepared to pay. Or do we say that we are right and everyone else was wrong.

And how would that be Eriksen's fault?!?

Doesnt that imply that the problem was with us? We were asking for something which no-one else was prepared to pay. Or do we say that we are right and everyone else was wrong.

And how would that be Eriksen's fault?!?

This is a relatively new problem for every club with the player who wants to run their contract down.
If they have not got 3 years left on their contract beware because their value will drop through the floor when it is down to 2 years.
Then the prices for the new contract will increase exponentially.

I don't think he has done us up, I think we've done it to ourselves.

It's now how you stop the Eriksen and Ramsey scenarios which are going to cost clubs far more.

Rashford will be next. He wants a mega deal to sign for Man U. Apparently close to a Messi type deal due to this type of scenario.

This is a relatively new problem for every club with the player who wants to run their contract down.
If they have not got 3 years left on their contract beware because their value will drop through the floor when it is down to 2 years.
Then the prices for the new contract will increase exponentially.

So we should have asked a more appropriate value last summer, or just accept that we would be getting more or less for him this year

It's now how you stop the Eriksen and Ramsey scenarios which are going to cost clubs far more.

Eriksen has said from day one he would move on, from the window after he signed his last extension we should have been actively trying to sell him, at an acceptable price.
Ramsey wanted to stay, the problem was what they thought he was worth to them in wages. Eriksen will not stay regardless of what we offer.
It will become more likely that this what players will do though, and we need to be more on the ball.

No matter what the club thought he was worth and whether that stopped him leaving in the summer. The two main things you have to weigh up are that he was too vocal in saying he wanted to leave when there was no obvious options for him to go.

But the biggest issue is just his playing attitude. Which has stunk for over a year now. So for the biggest Difference between Ramsey and Eriksen is that Ramsey actually was playing well before he left. Eriksen is letting us all down and hence the boo birds coming out. Its his own fault. if he was as good as he thinks he is then teams would have met his price in the summer.

So we should have asked a more appropriate value last summer, or just accept that we would be getting more or less for him this year

'Appropriate value' is the kicker.
If we had sold Eriksen for £20-25m last summer we would have been labelled bonkers! Now £25m and we'd bite their arm off.

Eriksen has said from day one he would move on, from the window after he signed his last extension we should have been actively trying to sell him, at an acceptable price.
Ramsey wanted to stay, the problem was what they thought he was worth to them in wages. Eriksen will not stay regardless of what we offer.
It will become more likely that this what players will do though, and we need to be more on the ball.

These are the lessons now being learned IMO.
Rashford is rumoured to want close to 500k a week for the new contract with United!
Harry's next won't be too far away from the above IMO.

No matter what the club thought he was worth and whether that stopped him leaving in the summer. The two main things you have to weigh up are that he was too vocal in saying he wanted to leave when there was no obvious options for him to go.

But the biggest issue is just his playing attitude. Which has stunk for over a year now. So for the biggest Difference between Ramsey and Eriksen is that Ramsey actually was playing well before he left. Eriksen is letting us all down and hence the boo birds coming out. Its his own fault. if he was as good as he thinks he is then teams would have met his price in the summer.

I have no problem with how Eriksen went about it off tge field. Yes in Hindsight saying barca was his destination of choice maybe looks a bit silly now, but you can't blame him for being ambitious.

I will gloss over his on field antics recently and chose to remember him at his peak. No point being bitter, it only damages you, makes no difference to any else.

His public comments included ‘If I have to go, hopefully it’ll be a step up’, and ‘If nothing pops up that is more exciting, why not stay at Tottenham?’

So not too bad, but not the most tactful thing to say publicly IMO - especially the first quote. And it certainly erodes any passion or commitment I might have previously felt towards him.

We shot ourselves in the foot rather by not bringing in a potential replacement for Eriksen prior to last summer. Good squad

I have a several mates who are ST holders at Arsenal (yeah, I know - poor me!). A couple of them have commented that it was only really after Ramsey had agreed his deal with Juventus that he played well that season. I've no idea whether that is true or a revisionist version of events but just thought I'd put it out there.

Back