• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jose Mourinho - SACKED

So the expected huge outlay on players, nay - superstars - that Jose was going to DEMAND has so far been a £4m (€?) loan fee with an option to buy if the player works out.

And the EXPERIENCED QUALITY, probably OLD WITH NO RESALE which was guaranteed now that Jose is in charge is actually an inexperienced 21 year old startlet with big potential.

Days after our 19 year old academy prospect got the nod ahead of Jan Vertonghen (and started the following game - in place of Alderweireld)

Alongside the 19 year old prospect we picked up in the summer but didnt have the chance to play under Poch (9 appearances under Jose by the way)

Alongside the slightly more experienced (but still youthful) talent of Lo Celso getting more and more minutes....

Early days, of course, but its almost as if Jose actually understood the job before he took it - and was fully prepared to respect the club he went into. And not, in fact, be the high spending prima donna so many just assumed he would be.

So the expected huge outlay on players, nay - superstars - that Jose was going to DEMAND has so far been a £4m (€?) loan fee with an option to buy if the player works out.

And the EXPERIENCED QUALITY, probably OLD WITH NO RESALE which was guaranteed now that Jose is in charge is actually an inexperienced 21 year old startlet with big potential.

Days after our 19 year old academy prospect got the nod ahead of Jan Vertonghen (and started the following game - in place of Alderweireld)

Alongside the 19 year old prospect we picked up in the summer but didnt have the chance to play under Poch (9 appearances under Jose by the way)

Alongside the slightly more experienced (but still youthful) talent of Lo Celso getting more and more minutes....

Early days, of course, but its almost as if Jose actually understood the job before he took it - and was fully prepared to respect the club he went into. And not, in fact, be the high spending prima donna so many just assumed he would be.

Could not agree more, i find it hard to understand why some fans thought Jose would demand mega money in this window. Always thought that Levy and Jose would have sat down and it would be made clear to Jose that money was available but it was not a open cheque book.

Shut up with your stupid facts and inconvenient truths

There was an interesting article in the Guardian by Jack Pitt-Brooke, about the difference between Mourinho and Pep + Klopp in terms of football approaches, and why the latter may have surpassed Mourinho in terms of practical ability to build successful teams.

Essentially, Pitt-Brooke highlights what Klopp and Pep do to take randomness out of football - every conceivable scenario, attacking and defensive, is drilled endlessly, until there are no surprises in football for either of their teams. In other words, 'periodization' - every scenario is broken down into its base elements (which 'square' of the pitch it starts in, speed of action, supporting movements, time in the game, and so on), and drilled again and again until football becomes predictable - or at least, more so.

He essentially argues that while Mourinho does that for the defensive side of the game, he sort of lets his players figure out the attacking side of it, trusting them to play to the general ethos - which is more random, and thus inferior, to Klopp and Pep's drilled approach to the game, which is why they end up with 100+ points on a regular basis.

Now, I think Pitt-Brooke's analysis is unfair on Mourinho - because it was Mourinho who brought periodization to English shores in the first place. Prior to him, English football was dominated by two very different coaches.
  • Ferguson, who focused on game management in terms of mentality, with his team able to switch up the tempo at will (their strongest weapon), and
  • Wenger, who focused on fitness management (resulting in the fittest team in the league) and a free-flowing, unpredictable, unstructured style of play.
Mourinho was the first coach who arrived in England and showed that, with drilling and organization, every defensive phase and action can be anticipated and controlled - and in doing so, he created his Chelsea machines of 04-05 and 05-06. So, he was the originator of today's all-aspect periodization by Klopp and Pep - unfair to say he doesn't have that in his locker.

However, I think Pitt-Brooke is right in a broader sense - coaches relying on randomness and the instincts of their players are increasingly failing, across football. The game is growing more structured, and fitness management and free-flowing instinct are both actually becoming secondary to periodization and relentless drill.

I think it's a major reason why Wenger failed at the end - the era of drilling allowed even ordinary teams with tactical coaches to regularly beat his free-flowing, 'random' sides.

And, sadly, I think it's a reason why Poch may have struggled towards the end of his time with us - he spent so, so much energy on fitness and mentality (the latter possibly inspired by Fergie), but his tactical approach was fairly basic through it all, relying on quick transitions into the final third, but largely leaving it up to the players to score from there. The times when Poch drilled a specific approach are memorable - the tigerish close pressing against City in one of Guardiola's first games, the back post headers by Dele against Conte's Chelsea, the straight balls over Lovren for Kane against Liverpool in 2017. But they're memorable precisely because they weren't the norm.

And that approach came up short against teams that practised periodization more than we did - Chelsea, City, Liverpool. And, in time, the players let Poch down, their mentalities turned out to be weak crap, and Poch fell on his sword.

The thing to take away from that article, in reflection, is that randomization is on its way out - in this phase of the game. There are too many tactical and technological tools (from drones and training cameras to xG and statistical analysis), and football is far too much of a business, to allow for the level of randomness in attacking and defensive play that existed in the past. And the more coaches rely on their players to think for themselves, the worse they'll do - drill is key.

I wonder if Mourinho and Joao Sacremento think the same way - Sacremento is one of Europe's most promising young tacticians, and a big shift in Mourinho's management style from the days of the fitness-focused Rui Faria as his second. And it will be interesting to see if we go down that road ourselves in time.

while Mourinho does that for the defensive side of the game, he sort of lets his players figure out the attacking side of it, trusting them to play to the general ethos - which is more random

When MouMou was boss at Man Utd he was accused of stifling their attacking players, making them chase back and be the first line of defence, and not overcommit.

During today's game the co-commentator Efan Ekoku was saying he was surprised at how open we are, how Winks was isolated as the only midfielder with a solid position and he needed someone alongside him, and surmised that maybe Mourinho felt pressured to play a more expansive game because that is the Spurs way and our motto.

So it seems MouMou is both too random, too strict, too structured, too expansive... basically people will just say anything they like about him as it creates discussion and sells papers.

When MouMou was boss at Man Utd he was accused of stifling their attacking players, making them chase back and be the first line of defence, and not overcommit.

During today's game the co-commentator Efan Ekoku was saying he was surprised at how open we are, how Winks was isolated as the only midfielder with a solid position and he needed someone alongside him, and surmised that maybe Mourinho felt pressured to play a more expansive game because that is the Spurs way and our motto.

So it seems MouMou is both too random, too strict, too structured, too expansive... basically people will just say anything they like about him as it creates discussion and sells papers.

I'm amazed by how much brick he's getting in the media. Because he doesn't play tika taka or have his players pressing relentlessly, he's yesterday's man. And his struggles here, especially the loss to Liverpool, prove it.

It's bollox. Look, Jose may not be a success here. And if he's not, I think it'll be because him and Levy probably arent on the same wavelength. But give Jose a fudging chance. We got a bounce and then it's died off. In that bounce spell, we never looked like a Jose team. We looked like Poch's team at the start of last season. Getting results despite performances. Jose needs to break this team down and rebuild it in his image. I've seen signs over the last two weeks that he's doing that. Of course, there needs to be personnel changes. Winks and Lo Celso are as far from a Jose midfield as you'll find for example.

He's making changes and he's a proven winner. The press and pundits aren't worthy of their jobs if theyre writing him off already. Give him a chance.

He's suggesting the players are the real issue, you simpleton. Which has always been clear as day.

Miss management is the problem! The place has been run like scout troop! now the players are all upset because the troop leader got the tin tack! Bless’um!

Motherplucking 10mm away from being a goal.

_110560000_wfc_no_goal.png

So 1 win in 6 league games including games v Southampton Norwich Brighton and Watford - good job we had that initial new manager bounce as it's quite clear where the real issues lay.

I know we have lots of injury problems, but after the initial bounce, I really thought JM had sorted many of our problems. I have to say our current form has left me very unimpressed. Dele in particular is symptomatic of this. Earlier this season, we had his brother playing, then the real Dele showed up when JM took over. Now he has been replaced by his dreadful half cousin, twice removed. WTF is going on with him - and why has JM pulled him back to his least able position?

I know we have lots of injury problems, but after the initial bounce, I really thought JM had sorted many of our problems. I have to say our current form has left me very unimpressed. Dele in particular is symptomatic of this. Earlier this season, we had his brother playing, then the real Dele showed up when JM took over. Now he has been replaced by his dreadful half cousin, twice removed. WTF is going on with him - and why has JM pulled him back to his least able position?

Dele is a good call - he MUST play just of the striker.
JM is trying to get this working but I'm afraid the players are not good enough as we found out in the last 2 years.
JM is still seeing who is worth a berth long term.

I'm amazed by how much brick he's getting in the media. Because he doesn't play tika taka or have his players pressing relentlessly, he's yesterday's man. And his struggles here, especially the loss to Liverpool, prove it.

It's bollox. Look, Jose may not be a success here. And if he's not, I think it'll be because him and Levy probably arent on the same wavelength. But give Jose a fudging chance. We got a bounce and then it's died off. In that bounce spell, we never looked like a Jose team. We looked like Poch's team at the start of last season. Getting results despite performances. Jose needs to break this team down and rebuild it in his image. I've seen signs over the last two weeks that he's doing that. Of course, there needs to be personnel changes. Winks and Lo Celso are as far from a Jose midfield as you'll find for example.

He's making changes and he's a proven winner. The press and pundits aren't worthy of their jobs if theyre writing him off already. Give him a chance.

Where is this improvement? I've seen a few people say this.
No wins, or goals in three league game.
A half arsed win against a lower league side.
Players being played out of position, players about to leave being played, no real sign of any system or fight in the team.
If there's improvement its miniscule.

Back