• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Japhet Tanganga

I love it how so many atheists claim to have all the answers and to know beyond belief that there’s no deity and yet...here we are all on a rock that one day magically from nothing appeared and on that rock..and also from nowhere...life magically exists.

Now I’m not saying that there’s definitely any deity. But what I am saying is to say there isn’t one and to call people idiots for believing one may be considered naive given that no one can actually have certainty either way.

I would prefer to think that people could be open minded; both those who have a belief, and those that do not, to think that no one actually knows all the answers and so to be so dismissive of either side shows a huge lack of respect. Believe what you want to believe but who can lecture others on what to believe.

If Tanganga is a devout Christian then that’s his faith, good for him and I expect that he uses it to help him through his life. If that helps him to be more confident, and to move through any struggles then it can only be a benefit to his life.

I am not in the slightest way a religious person but that is a great post sir, as for his performance well i will say it was one of the best i have seen from young player coming into a team which in all honesty has been struggling.

Early days of course but lets hope he can carry it on and become a top player for us, religious or whatever he may believe in.

I think you've got caught in some lazy terminology that we're all a bit guilty of.

Pretty much everyone I'm friends with would be described by most people as atheists, yet not a single one actually is. All of them, and I suspect everyone here, is agnostic. If there's a scale of 0-100, with the pope and his kiddy fiddling friends being at 0 and a true atheist at 100, then I am agnostic at around 99.999999999. But, most importantly, none of us claim to have all the answers, we're just able to say that the existence of a GHod, and belief in such nonsense is ridiculous.

It's much easier to refer to ourselves as atheist though, otherwise people assume you're at 50 on the scale and just don't care.

But to say that the existence of GHod is ridiculous is exactly my point. So whether you label yourself as agnostic, or atheist, that you ridicule someone’s belief system just because you don’t agree with it might be a bit much in a World in which it’s likely better to have an open mind irrespective of which end of the chart you place yourself faith wise.

Even those who are devout believers in a deity shouldn’t dispel the possibility that there may be nothing. I equally dislike those on the street shouting at people to believe, in a deity,without people allowed to choose their own faith.

As long as it doesn’t impact on others, people should be allowed their own faith. And where people post about it, admittedly that invites a level of criticism, but it shouldn’t be directed against that person as has been the case in this thread, instead people can provide their own beliefs and if they want, explain why they believe what they do.

Someone isn’t stupid just because their opinion doesn’t match your’s when there is a level of open debate about what the truth is. Obviously if someone started telling you something which was factually inaccurate ie that the sea was mango juice then you could shut them down but less so on an open subject like religion.

Again, you just make yourself look an intolerant fool. How about we just live and let live.
Great idea. Don't feed the starving, live and let live. Don't warm or clothe the cold, live and let live. Don't offer medicine to the sick, live and let live.

I prefer not to allow the intellectually feeble to go through life without offering the logic and reason that will allow them to become proper people.

But to say that the existence of GHod is ridiculous is exactly my point. So whether you label yourself as agnostic, or atheist, that you ridicule someone’s belief system just because you don’t agree with it might be a bit much in a World in which it’s likely better to have an open mind irrespective of which end of the chart you place yourself faith wise.

Even those who are devout believers in a deity shouldn’t dispel the possibility that there may be nothing. I equally dislike those on the street shouting at people to believe, in a deity,without people allowed to choose their own faith.

As long as it doesn’t impact on others, people should be allowed their own faith. And where people post about it, admittedly that invites a level of criticism, but it shouldn’t be directed against that person as has been the case in this thread, instead people can provide their own beliefs and if they want, explain why they believe what they do.

Someone isn’t stupid just because their opinion doesn’t match your’s when there is a level of open debate about what the truth is. Obviously if someone started telling you something which was factually inaccurate ie that the sea was mango juice then you could shut them down but less so on an open subject like religion.
I've never seen Peru. I've never been, so I can't say with all certainty that Peru exists.

But it would be really fudging stupid to suggest it doesn't.

I've never seen Peru. I've never been, so I can't say with all certainty that Peru exists.

But it would be really fudging stupid to suggest it doesn't.

Yes, because it’s been featured on television, on maps, people have travelled there and there’s a lot of history that stems from that country.
In terms of concepts is it not ridiculous to believe that this Universe, the planets, the life that exists within those planets, and the food chains, eco systems, the laws of nature, and the interactions that occur and almost to such precise numbers that it’s a miracle that we are here to have this conversation at all, simply just decided to happen from nothing? Is it not possible even at the 0.01% stage that there is a greater force that has acted to create this. To be honest, it is a headache in itself to understand how this Universe is possible with or without a deity as either way everything came from nothing. It’s why I believe in open mind, I am in the process of changing my religion to one that better suits my views, but having an open mind is to simply say about the questions that we cannot answer...‘I do not know’..rather than to be dismissive of people who have a view contrary to our own. I can understand why you dong believe in a deity.

I don’t judge you for your view, as it’s your personal faith and decision. I only think people shouldn’t be judgmental of those with a religious belief.

Yes, because it’s been featured on television, on maps, people have travelled there and there’s a lot of history that stems from that country.
In terms of concepts is it not ridiculous to believe that this Universe, the planets, the life that exists within those planets, and the food chains, eco systems, the laws of nature, and the interactions that occur and almost to such precise numbers that it’s a miracle that we are here to have this conversation at all, simply just decided to happen from nothing? Is it not possible even at the 0.01% stage that there is a greater force that has acted to create this. To be honest, it is a headache in itself to understand how this Universe is possible with or without a deity as either way everything came from nothing. It’s why I believe in open mind, I am in the process of changing my religion to one that better suits my views, but having an open mind is to simply say about the questions that we cannot answer...‘I do not know’..rather than to be dismissive of people who have a view contrary to our own. I can understand why you dong believe in a deity.

I don’t judge you for your view, as it’s your personal faith and decision. I only think people shouldn’t be judgmental of those with a religious belief.
And equally there's nothing but stacks of evidence to suggest that a deity didn't make the world. Not absolute proof, but see my Peru point for why that doesn't matter.

And equally there's nothing but stacks of evidence to suggest that a deity didn't make the world. Not absolute proof, but see my Peru point for why that doesn't matter.

Peru definitively exists. It can be proved conclusively. There’s no way to conclusively show that no deity exists. I understand you have stacked up evidence to show that one doesn’t exist, but that’s still your belief as opposed to confirmed facts. And if you take it as your belief, why attack others just because their belief and your belief differs? Are we not permitted to have differing views but still respect other people? Either way we are massively off topic, and it’s been an engaging conversation but if we disagree on this point then I doubt any more back and forth will change views. So thank you for your part and let’s get the subject back to appreciating Tanganga for his footballing skills irrespective of his religious beliefs.

Peru definitively exists. It can be proved conclusively. There’s no way to conclusively show that no deity exists. I understand you have stacked up evidence to show that one doesn’t exist, but that’s still your belief as opposed to confirmed facts. And if you take it as your belief, why attack others just because their belief and your belief differs? Are we not permitted to have differing views but still respect other people? Either way we are massively off topic, and it’s been an engaging conversation but if we disagree on this point then I doubt any more back and forth will change views. So thank you for your part and let’s get the subject back to appreciating Tanganga for his footballing skills irrespective of his religious beliefs.
It's not belief, that's the entire point. My position aligns perfectly with the evidence - that it is almost impossibly unlikely that a deity exists.

Anything that doesn't align with the evidence is belief, this is anything but.

The reason I attack those beliefs is to help them - to make them more like actual people. Just like I'd try to talk anyone (except Sol Campbell) out of suicide or cutting off their legs, I think it's the responsibility of those who can use logic to help others do so. Why should we let people intentionally be less intelligent?

Of course Peru exists, it's where Paddington comes from ffs!

Now, can we get back on topic please and discuss our new star, he deserves it.
This is on topic. He's clearly got a lot of ability but we will need to shape our tactics around the fact that he's less likely than others to be able to make decisions correctly.

It didn't hurt Defoe.

Anyway...... Tanganga...... hope we make him a regular part of the team now. Give him 15 games to May. Pull him out when he wobbles a bit (he will) .
Let him learn from the good and the bad. The season isn't great. But it's a great chance for a couple of youngsters.

Tottenham youngster Japhet Tanganga has revealed that Jose Mourinho asked him if he would be scared to face Liverpool before handing the youngster his Premier League debut on Saturday.

Mourinho’s decision to start Tanganga came as somewhat of a surprise especially with Jan Vertonghen and Eric Dier both sat on the bench.

However, the defender didn’t look out of place at all as he held his own against the likes of Sadio Mane and Mohamed Salah.

The 20-year-old, who earned Mourinho’s praise after the game (Football.London), revealed what happened in the week leading up to the game.

Speaking to the club’s official website, the defender said: “The gaffer mentioned it on Tuesday and asked me, ‘do you want to play?’, I said ‘yes’ and he said ‘you won’t be scared?’, I said ‘no, I won’t be scared’ so we did shape two or three days leading up to the game and I thought ‘yep, I’m in the team’.

“From there, the boys have been excellent, cheering me on, encouraging me, letting me know it’s just another game, as much as it’s my debut, as much as I’m playing against one of the best teams around right now, it doesn’t matter.
“I come up against Sonny in training, Harry Kane, all the top guys here, so it’s like training, keep going, keep my head up and they were great.”

While Tanganga admitted that making his debut against a side like Liverpool was a dream come true, he insisted that it was a bittersweet experience due to the result.

He said: “It means a lot, honestly, a lot. From a young age you dream about this. You see guys on TV, and you are like ‘I want to be there, I want to have that opportunity’ and when it comes, it’s just a great feeling.

“Again, it would have been much better if we’d won the game, a much better feeling. I’m happy to make my debut but the feeling is still disappointing.

:I’ve made my debut, but like the game, it’s gone now. I’ll celebrate with my family, they are all here, but after tomorrow it’s gone and onto the next one.

“Hopefully I’ll get a chance in the Middlesbrough game (FA Cup replay, Tuesday, 8.05pm) and we can get through to the next round. After that, we’ll just see how it goes from there. I’ll keep working hard in training, doing the right things, listening to what the gaffer wants, just keep my head down and leave it to the gaffer.”

The Spurs academy product claimed that the Reds couldn’t cope with Spurs in the final 20 minutes and that the home side could have nicked something from the game.

He added, “We said we had to reach half-time at 1-0 with the game still there for the taking. At half-time we said to make sure we kept our heads up and in the second half, last 20, I thought they couldn’t handle us.

“When Coco (Erik Lamela) and Lo Celso came on, they brought energy and gave us a lift, and we were able to create chances.

“Overall, it’s a bittersweet debut, happy to make my debut but disappointed about the result. I really thought we could have nicked something out there, a draw, maybe even a win, but results don’t always go your way.”

This young man has a big future. Everything he has done in the preseason and this last match has been impressive. A starter for me now.

Back