• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Son Heung-Min

Indeed, I'm embarrassed by some fans (Scaramanga, SpurMeUp etc) claiming we are such hard done-by victims.

Their reading of referee incidents is so one-eyed as to make a Scouser blush red.
I think they were right to send Son off. But that was no worse than the punch he took from Rudiger seconds before and a hell of a lot less than the shin-high tackle early on in the match.

The refs got that right but missed a whole pile of brick they should have seen. With VAR there's no excuse for it.

That footage doesn’t really prove anything I’m afraid, you can’t tell 100 percent if he punches him as the arm goes in a natural movement.

VAr is for clear and obvious to be over turned which it’s not

The Rules for a straight red card for violent conduct is three games and has been for years, it’s violent conduct - the laws the club signs up for at the start of the season.

They ruled on it so quickly as

1. It’s cut and dry red - even if you don’t agree there isn’t enough to turn around

2. It’s xmas they always speed it up.

Your clutching at straws, apart from Liverpool no one does victims better than us.

Natural movement, yes. Unnatural force, also yes. It's obvious Rudiger puts a lot more force into his arm slamming than what a natural movement would do. This is not shoulder to shoulder, this is arm to body, with excessive force.

Often players naturally use their arms actively when they go up for headers, sometimes leasing with their elbows. When they hit an opponent, it’s a free kick, possibly a yellow. If they use excessive force in their natural elbow swing, that's easily a red card.

Why should it be different when you intentionally hit an opponent with your arm?

Also; VAR is very clearly not only reserved for the clear and obvious refereeing errors, which we've seen countless examples of. It's more a random nitpicking tool that closely examines millimetre offside decisions while completely overlooking blatant fouls and other controversial situations.

I think they were right to send Son off. But that was no worse than the punch he took from Rudiger seconds before and a hell of a lot less than the shin-high tackle early on in the match.

The refs got that right but missed a whole pile of brick they should have seen. With VAR there's no excuse for it.

I couldn't agree more. The blatant inconsistency and complete lack of accountability is killing VAR.

A dish best served cold. Next time, someone needs to make sure he's got something to roll round the floor about. All in the spirit of Christmas, of course.

Ok, I'll give my perspective as a referee. First some basic background. The role of the referee is not to hand out cards for every offence that a card could be awarded for. The role of the ref is to manage and control the game. If the game is going well and in an "orderly fashion" there is no need to flash cards, even if the foul itself could warrant a card.

This is why I think it's the on-field ref that should make every decision of those kind of situations, as he is the one that feels the mood of the game. If it's a straight punch or obvious kick, then yes, it's a red card, as that is considered putting a bad reputation on the sport.
But the situation with Son was not like that. The ref was in control of the game, and the situation was not serious, or fueling the intensity of the game. That's why I think he didn't send off Son. As per say its a red, but I think the ref thought that the game was not out of control, so he didn't show a red card, because he was well placed to see it. I strongly disagree with the way its done in the PL. I think the ref should at least be the one that has the final say, and that he at least should go and check it himself, to see if there is something he's clearly missed.
I don't think he'd change his mind if he did, because of what I've previously written.

Last edited:
Son is head down player like Moura and Defoe, either scores a worldie or hits Row Z like Zamora.

Exactly this. What summed this up better than anything was our third goal at Chelsea a couple of years ago. He went himself despite having Lamela (I think) in a better position. Luckily Dele scored the rebound but Lamela and particularly Eriksen gave him an ear bashing for it.

Based on the logic here, Mane and Salad are also poor.
As they missed chances!

I don't think anyone has said Son is poor. Personally, I enjoy watching him more than any other Spurs player. But his decision making is sometimes suspect and he seems to have tunnel vision a lot of the time. It's a legitimate criticism and has been levelled at Harry too although I think Harry's decision making is better than Son's.

Based on the logic here, Mane and Salad are also poor.
As they missed chances!
Wish we had got Mane after Pochettino had given him the guided tour of Hotspur Way, whilst his finishing might not be any more clinical than Son his work rate and mentality is on par with Lamela but without the chronic injury issues.

With Kane out for a lengthy spell I hope that Son will avoid any more silly sendings off and hit another purple patch in front of goal to finally hit that 20 league goal mark which his talent warrants.

Back