• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Dele Alli

He was fine yesterday

I've seen him get a lot of abuse online but I thought he did ok yesterday particularly in the last 30 where we started to apply some pressure. There was a lad sitting next to me who blamed Alli for absolutely everything that went wrong. Even when it wasn't him.

Some fans seem to have it in for Alli because his style sometimes screams flash and lazy. But he's a class act for me and when he has good players to play with, he's top quality.

I've seen him get a lot of abuse online but I thought he did ok yesterday particularly in the last 30 where we started to apply some pressure. There was a lad sitting next to me who blamed Alli for absolutely everything that went wrong. Even when it wasn't him.

Some fans seem to have it in for Alli because his style sometimes screams flash and lazy. But he's a class act for me and when he has good players to play with, he's top quality.

The whole flash/fame gone to his head thing is such a lazy stereotype and so untrue of the type of character he exhibits when interviewed where he always comes across as a mature humble lad that i really have to question the motives of those who throw those terms around tbqh

He's a frustrating player though and will try the flick or the trick too often sometimes, especially when playing deeper where it can lead to a damaging loss possession

The whole flash/fame gone to his head thing is such a lazy stereotype and so untrue of the type of character he exhibits when interviewed where he always comes across as a mature humble lad that i really have to question the motives of those who throw those terms around tbqh

He's a frustrating player though and will try the flick or the trick too often sometimes, especially when playing deeper where it can lead to a damaging loss possession

Well said. Anyone that watched his Phenoms on Sky can see what he’s been through and how humble and appreciative he is.

He was fine yesterday. He’s in there with Eriksen against the so called best team in the world and has still played nearly every minute under Jose and could do with a rest.

Think he is suffering due to Eriksen and Kane not being there as there was a time when the three of them used to interlink really well.
Saw some signs of this in the last 20, it helps what I consider to be the more technical players when they have others in the same wave length to move and take the ball quickly. When he plays deeper it does take away a lot of the benefit of what he can do, but if we aren’t getting the ball into attacking areas it must be difficult not to go looking for it with the best intentions of helping the team.

Well said. Anyone that watched his Phenoms on Sky can see what he’s been through and how humble and appreciative he is.

He was fine yesterday. He’s in there with Eriksen against the so called best team in the world and has still played nearly every minute under Jose and could do with a rest.

spot on Benny!

Just to be clear, I don't think he is flash or lazy in the slightest but it's easy to think that way when you see him trying nonchalant flicks or getting frustrated when things go wrong. I agree totally with your post and think he's always come across very well in interviews and been the exact opposite of the stereotype.

I did have hopes for Alli becoming a midfielder but I do think his ability and strengths are much more suited to playing further forward.

It's not Dele's fault that he's not a midfielder. He's not a defender either and he's absolutely crap in goal. He's a ghost-finisher.

for me Dele can be great in tight spaces and on the box. Give him time and he cannot make that pass

I think he's becoming quite a niche player (if in a top side), the ghosting in and one touch flicks and off the cuff play are his standout qualities, that only works in a limited area of the field and probably only in the 'off the striker' position.

He's a bundle of frustration otherwise. The dilly dallying in the fastest league in the world. Turning into trouble. Caught in possession. 10 touches when 1 would do. Everyone else's fault. He often plays in not his best position but his best position is very specific and we also have to play in a certain way to get the best out of him.

That's just not good enough. I want our supposedly best players to be adaptable and more rounded. If someone offered £100m I'd take it.

I think he's becoming quite a niche player (if in a top side), the ghosting in and one touch flicks and off the cuff play are his standout qualities, that only works in a limited area of the field and probably only in the 'off the striker' position.

He's a bundle of frustration otherwise. The dilly dallying in the fastest league in the world. Turning into trouble. Caught in possession. 10 touches when 1 would do. Everyone else's fault. He often plays in not his best position but his best position is very specific and we also have to play in a certain way to get the best out of him.

That's just not good enough. I want our supposedly best players to be adaptable and more rounded. If someone offered £100m I'd take it.
His passing map shows he is fine with close areas. Given space to play long passes and he simply struggles

I will be blunt (unlike me of course).
I think people slagging him off now fall into one of these categories:
1) institutional dislike based on misconception.
2) people who don’t acknowledge the role he is playing in a particular game.
3) people who do not fully understand the finer points of football.

I am aware the last point is patronising. That’s fine, I believe it to be the truth.

On a wider point, yesterday, anyone who did not understand the game pattern and plan would’ve called it a “poor” first-half. The reality is it was well managed and maturely handled. The major blip was Rose, who played some very stupid passes.It was not a half to go gung-ho, it was one to sit in and be patient. Had we taken one of the two fine chances created we’d have gone in level at HT.

Dele was very mature yesterday. Flicks? I have no issue whatsoever.

As for ‘passing range’ his job yesterday was not to hit long balls or seek channels with 20-30 yard sliders. I thought he was big for us yesterday personally.

What I will say, in general, is that we need to sharpen up out basic touch/control.

I am aware the last point is patronising. That’s fine, I believe it to be the truth.

On a wider point, yesterday, anyone who did not understand the game pattern and plan would’ve called it a “poor” first-half. The reality is it was well managed and maturely handled. The major blip was Rose, who played some very stupid passes.It was not a half to go gung-ho, it was one to sit in and be patient. Had we taken one of the two fine chances created we’d have gone in level at HT.

As for ‘passing range’ his job yesterday was not to hit long balls or seek channels with 20-30 yard sliders. I thought he was big for us yesterday personally.

What I will say, in general, is that we need to sharpen up out basic touch/control.

Great post and as frustrated as I was at half time, it was very clear what José set us up to do and it was fairly successful. He just wanted to stay in the game. There are two, maybe three, criticisms of Jose if I'm being hyper critical. Selecting Rose was a bad decision and so it proved. He was abysmal. He tried but he was awful. Selecting Tanganga was a massive risk. He ultimately played very well but it could have been a disaster if it went the other way. I was satisfied with the first half aside from how awful we were in possession.

Now, to be fair, Liverpool make it hard to keep the ball particularly when they are running at 100mph. But the amount of aimless hacks away was poor and invited pressure. We'd have been better kicking for touch rugby style to break up play. And on goal kicks, everyone piled into the same left hand part of the pitch to have Gazzaniga lump it long. Fair enough if we were having success but we weren't and it was a tactic out of the stone age.

But those are me being hyper critical as I say. I thought José played a blinder yesterday with his selection and tactics and we were unlucky to come away with nothing. And I thought Dele did pretty well particularly when the Argentinians came on.

Great post and as frustrated as I was at half time, it was very clear what José set us up to do and it was fairly successful. He just wanted to stay in the game. There are two, maybe three, criticisms of Jose if I'm being hyper critical. Selecting Rose was a bad decision and so it proved. He was abysmal. He tried but he was awful. Selecting Tanganga was a massive risk. He ultimately played very well but it could have been a disaster if it went the other way. I was satisfied with the first half aside from how awful we were in possession.

Now, to be fair, Liverpool make it hard to keep the ball particularly when they are running at 100mph. But the amount of aimless hacks away was poor and invited pressure. We'd have been better kicking for touch rugby style to break up play. And on goal kicks, everyone piled into the same left hand part of the pitch to have Gazzaniga lump it long. Fair enough if we were having success but we weren't and it was a tactic out of the stone age.

But those are me being hyper critical as I say. I thought José played a blinder yesterday with his selection and tactics and we were unlucky to come away with nothing. And I thought Dele did pretty well particularly when the Argentinians came on.

The biggest issue is he has no striker right now. It is why despite being unable to read the game with nous, Lucas gets a massive pass from me because be out a giant shift in and essentially played like a target man a foot taller than he actually is - lion hearted effort.

I agree, sometimes the lumping was “arrrrrggghhh” but in fairness we actually created a fair amount yesterday all-told.

Re: Dele/Argentians, absolutely. It underscored how unique Dele is, perhaps the only player we have who can easily play two different roles per game; such a smart player. LoCelso was really good BTW, agreed.

That's just gonad*s. You put yourself above everyone else and claim you are right and everyone else that think differently don't know anything about football.
For 60-70 minutes he was tinkle poor going forward. Dilly dally Dele at his worst. Holding on to the ball when an easy pass could have us though on goal, getting dispossessed, cowered out of tackles, especially for the goal. If that was Eriksen the amount of stick would fill 100 pages here! He did his job OK defensively except for those cowarding out moments, and improved for the last 20 minutes, but before that he was absolutely no better than Eriksen.
And he's been like that for a long time, and his moments of brilliance are few and far between now. It's nice to have that ability, and when things are going on rails, you can afford to carry players like that in the team, but in the situation we're in now, we can't afford to have players performing on such a limited level.

Re: Dele/Argentians, absolutely. It underscored how unique Dele is, perhaps the only player we have who can easily play two different roles per game; such a smart player. LoCelso was really good BTW, agreed.
It maybe unique but the problem is he is not very good at one of these roles. (Not saying he's awful).

It's true he has had to play there Inc under Poch and he is helping the team out by doing so but it doesn't mean it's a good option (going forward). Equally that's why people instantly say 'its not rocket science to play him in his best position and surprise surprise he starts playing well' . Off the striker is his ONLY position, and that's for as much his benefit as the team. He doesn't need time on the ball, he just wastes it, slows things down. It's almost like too much thinking time is kryptonite to his game. It makes him indecisive.

But Dele played 5 or 6 of those long passes and none made their man. There is a pass map on here somewhere and his long passes were poor and caused counter attacks
His game is the flicks and tricks and intricate attacking play

Yes i did but I guess we saw and felt differently. And I'm not basing this on one match but a full year.

Yesterday with kane out and eriksen uncommitted he should have stepped up as the most senior.

And our situation now requires urgent reinforcements in other areas of the pitch. Alli money could be useful to push us up another level.

Sorry my friend, just so inaccurate. Did you watch the game yesterday?

Sent from my SM-G975F using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Last edited:
Back