• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

VAR: Sponsored by Chelsea

OIP.qhCGaH3RectVHyxtuGWsdAHaEe

Tis good to see a monitor being used, finally, but I do think Hudd had a kick out and provoked a lot for the reaction of the Palace player. Yellows for both was the right call unless he deems the kick and the head movement as both being violent in which case should have been a double red imo

Another shocking decision from VAR in the SU vs West Ham game. Rice is running, his arm isn’t going to be down by his fudging side is it?!

Not shocking at all. VAR is just following the rules as they are written.

I’m not sure I totally agree. I think the handball rules are written poorly. But even within those rules I’m not sure it was a good decision - I think you could argue that Rice was in a natural running ‘silhouette’, wasn’t making his body bigger, and I thought they were still supposed to take into distance between ball and hand when struck? (Which was about 1 foot)

But you’re partly right - maybe I would have been more accurate to say ‘VAR has led to another brick outcome, partly due to the stupid handball guidance’.

Edit: https://www.premierleague.com/news/1263332

The rule here just mentions ‘unnaturally bigger’, and refers to being above shoulder height.

Double edit: or is the issue that that counts as creating a goal with the use of the arm? I thought that only meant for the final assisting touch or later?

Triple edit: having finally been able to find the official IFAB doc in the rule changes, I see that the rules do say the goal shouldn’t stand if the assisting player gained control of ball via arm - so fair play I stand corrected, it was the right decision according to the rules.

Last edited:
VAR is not wanted in Premier League - West Ham's Declan Rice

West Ham midfielder Declan Rice says no Premier League players want the Video Assistant Referee system used after his side were denied a late equaliser at Sheffield United.

"I think they are the thoughts of every Premier League player, not just me - pretty much everyone doesn't want VAR in the game.

"There have been so many decisions this season that have been absolutely crazy. They were celebrating VAR like it was a goal and football should not be like that."

So who are the anti-VAR holdouts who agree with Rice? I'm sure Noble also agrees.

I’m not sure I totally agree. I think the handball rules are written poorly. But even within those rules I’m not sure it was a good decision - I think you could argue that Rice was in a natural running ‘silhouette’, wasn’t making his body bigger, and I thought they were still supposed to take into distance between ball and hand when struck? (Which was about 1 foot)

But you’re partly right - maybe I would have been more accurate to say ‘VAR has led to another brick outcome, partly due to the stupid handball guidance’.

The rule here just mentions ‘unnaturally bigger’, and refers to being above shoulder height.

Double edit: or is the issue that that counts as creating a goal with the use of the arm? I thought that only meant for the final assisting touch or later?

Triple edit: having finally been able to find the official IFAB doc in the rule changes, I see that the rules do say the goal shouldn’t stand if the assisting player gained control of ball via arm - so fair play I stand corrected, it was the right decision according to the rules.
You got there in the end, chappeau :D

Three edits? Took you far too long to reach your decision. Shambles

I'm not done ranting about VAR, because why the fudge can't they a) simply correct clear and obvious errors that affect the outcome of a game, like say that throw in before their goal, and b) treat similar situations similarly from game to game, like say a studs first tackle to the shin?

There's no point in video refereeing if clear and obvious errors aren't corrected and there's no point adding more refs if they still aren't able to maintain even a basic level of consistency to their refereeing.

I'm not done ranting about VAR, because why the fudge can't they a) simply correct clear and obvious errors that affect the outcome of a game, like say that throw in before their goal, and b) treat similar situations similarly from game to game, like say a studs first tackle to the shin?

There's no point in video refereeing if clear and obvious errors aren't corrected and there's no point adding more refs if they still aren't able to maintain even a basic level of consistency to their refereeing.
That's not VAR, that's referees.

A system was brought in to correct the incompetence of referees but they employed those same referees to run it.

Back