• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - Licence To Stand

Thought these fag-packet calculations about earnings from the stadium might be fun to share, picked them up from SSC:

"General Admission: 42K-ish ST holders + 9K-ish Members = 51K
There are two elements as I understand it, seat reveunue (almost pure profit) and concession purchases (which I guess is roughly 70% profit after all expenses).
What is the average seat price for General Admission? No idea - three categories of games, seats available at multiple pricing levels - complete guesswork but my ballpark is £75-£80: £77.50 it is

For discretionary spending, I'm going to use a pie and a pint model (P&P), and assume that the average concession spend is exactly that. My guess: average price of P&P = £7+. Profit per head = £5 (at least)

So, the maths: £77.50 (ave seat price) + £5 (ave net profit on food/drink) = £82.50.
Multiply that by 51,000 ...aaaaand we have £4,207,500

Away fans = 3.1K
3.1K multiplied by standard PL away ticket price of £30, plus the P&P of £5 net = £108,500

Premium = 8.5K, maybe creeping towards 9K
Goodness knows! What I have done is reversed this; if 8,700 Premium Members contribute £200 (net) per game (which they surely must), in TOTAL the club is making just over £6 million NET per game.

In addition to the 19 PL games, we have been averaging 9 HOME cup matches (League, FA and CL). So that totals at 28 home games multiplied by £6 million = it's a world record of £168 million (about 10% larger than the current top two matchday earners Real Madrid and Barca).

10 years ago and even 5 years ago our matchday revenue was consistently between £40-£44 million."

And this, of course, totally excludes any earnings from other events that we allow the venue to be used for. As well as the hoped for Grail of a higher stadium sponsorship deal than would have been possible at our old home.

If this is close to being true, then this is the machine that should be able to fund incrased transfer spending maybe from the summer onwards if sustainability has been factored in and reasonable run-time elapsed for confidence to be high enough.
I would say that the above probably overplays the average seat price somewhat as it doesn't take enough account of the fact that we have a reasonable number of junior and senior concessions, nor the fact that not too many games are category A games where I think that £77.50 average price point might be close to applying. The corporate offering at Spurs also offers access to all games over the season (including the cup games) so there isn't additional income from that income stream depending on progress in Cup competitions.

I tried to do something like this previously prior to the stadium opening....
I assumed 42,000 season tickets at average price of £1,100. = ~£46 million.
3,000 away fans @ £30 x 19 games = ~£2m
8,000 Corporate seats at average of £4500 per season = ~£36M
8,000 members/general admission @ £60 average x 19 games = ~£9m
= £93 million of ticket revenue for minimum of the 19 PL games only.

Cup games obviously depend on the level of opposition along with what competition we're in and how far we progress.
Let’s assume a reasonably low baseline of 6 games (which assumes we make either CL or Europa group stages each season)
We know that the corporate offering already includes these games so no additional income here.
Use the same £30 average price for 3,000 away fans here x 6 games = ~£500k ,
assume an average 40,000 home fans turn up not including the corporates and a lower average ticket price of £40 per person due to potential for some reduced price games = ~£10m
So that’s another ~£10.5m from 6 cup games.
= £103.5 million per season from corporate, season ticket and general match day ticket revenue based on a 25 game season (+/- £2.5m per game for additional/reduced number of Cup games).

For the catering revenues I think I remember something posted that Spurs were taking £750k per game in food/drink sales in the first few games after WHL was opened. If we assume that figure has held up as being consistent that is £18.75m revenue from the 25 games.

That's a total of ~£122 million of revenue from only the THFC football income stream (profit on this obviously depends on costs for food/drink supplies, catering and service staff, corporate hosts/ex players etc, stewards, cleaning, power, stadium wear and tear maintenance, fan ambassadors, IT Support, security, etc, etc).

I would be interested to know what sort of fee Spurs are charging for the hire of their stadium for additional full stadium events? Whether the model is that we charge a set fee of (e.g) £2 million for event hire or whether Spurs just take a percentage of ticket sales? Also whether the food/drink revenues are split or not? In theory there is close to £6 million of revenue for every (full) event at the stadium assuming the events have similar price points to Spurs football matches. I would've thought that revenue would be split two thirds / one third (at best case for THFC) in favour of the event promoter. So perhaps we could expect another £2 million of revenue per major event.

Assuming a stadium sponsor comes in at about £18 million a year and we managing to attract 10 major events each year then we could be looking at something close to that £160+ million of 'stadium' revenue per season that would give us the highest match day revenue in the World.... and that's before considering smaller corporate type events that use the other spaces in the stadium.

I would say that the above probably overplays the average seat price somewhat as it doesn't take enough account of the fact that we have a reasonable number of junior and senior concessions, nor the fact that not too many games are category A games where I think that £77.50 average price point might be close to applying. The corporate offering at Spurs also offers access to all games over the season (including the cup games) so there isn't additional income from that income stream depending on progress in Cup competitions.

Cup games obviously depend on the level of opposition along with what competition we're in and how far we progress.
Let’s assume a reasonably low baseline of 6 games (which assumes we make either CL or Europa group stages each season)
We know that the corporate offering already includes these games so no additional income here.
assume an average 40,000 home fans turn up not including the corporates and a lower average ticket price of £40 per person due to potential for some reduced price games = ~£10m
= £103.5 million per season from corporate, season ticket and general match day ticket revenue based on a 25 game season (+/- £2.5m per game for additional/reduced number of Cup games).

For the catering revenues I think I remember something posted that Spurs were taking £750k per game in food/drink sales in the first few games after WHL was opened. If we assume that figure has held up as being consistent that is £18.75m revenue from the 25 games.

That's a total of ~£122 million of revenue from only the THFC football income stream (profit on this obviously depends on costs for food/drink supplies, catering and service staff, corporate hosts/ex players etc, stewards, cleaning, power, stadium wear and tear maintenance, fan ambassadors, IT Support, security, etc, etc).

I would be interested to know what sort of fee Spurs are charging for the hire of their stadium for additional full stadium events? Whether the model is that we charge a set fee of (e.g) £2 million for event hire or whether Spurs just take a percentage of ticket sales? Also whether the food/drink revenues are split or not? In theory there is close to £6 million of revenue for every (full) event at the stadium assuming the events have similar price points to Spurs football matches. I would've thought that revenue would be split two thirds / one third (at best case for THFC) in favour of the event promoter. So perhaps we could expect another £2 million of revenue per major event.

Assuming a stadium sponsor comes in at about £18 million a year and we managing to attract 10 major events each year then we could be looking at something close to that £160+ million of 'stadium' revenue per season that would give us the highest match day revenue in the World.... and that's before considering smaller corporate type events that use the other spaces in the stadium.
I did the same thing and had is at the £120m mark so I agree with yours

Close, a couple of additions

- I believe the revenue re food/drinks is 1M per game
- The rumour is Levy is pushing for a 25M/yr naming rights deal
- A good CL season (last season = 87M) also makes a significant upside

And the big wildcard is any expanded NFL deal (more games, resident franchise, etc) which would just put those numbers in another category.

The numbers being right/wrong by a few million here or there is moot point, the thing people should see is the foundation for the club to compete financially with clubs that have been traditionally out of our league.

There may be a transition season or two, but the future is very promising.

Last edited:
Great news.... add another £7 million on in that case.

Hence why we’re still without a deal. I put £18m as I thought it was probably a sensible amount +/-£2m

That is total revenue though, not match day. Remember also that we won’t have CL games every year. Next year for example is a long shot at the mo.

Close, a couple of additions

And the big wildcard is any expanded NFL deal (more games, resident franchise, etc) which would just put those numbers in another category.

The numbers being right/wrong by a few million here or there is moot point, the thing people should see is the foundation for the club to compete financially with clubs that have been traditionally out of our league.

There may be a transition season or two, but the future is very promising.
Absolutely. NFL games at NWHL are almost guaranteed to sell out, probably at an average of £50 a ticket -- it was £80 for me up in the gods (still a good view, mind!) and there weren't all that many kids around. That's £3M from ticket sales alone. With the ability to drink at your seat, those two games smashed the beer sales...maybe another £3M taken on concessions, which I'd assume means at least £2M profit.

That's at least £5M per game, and that's ignoring any other revenue streams. Get an expanded franchise and we're laughing.

Absolutely. NFL games at NWHL are almost guaranteed to sell out, probably at an average of £50 a ticket -- it was £80 for me up in the gods (still a good view, mind!) and there weren't all that many kids around. That's £3M from ticket sales alone. With the ability to drink at your seat, those two games smashed the beer sales...maybe another £3M taken on concessions, which I'd assume means at least £2M profit.

That's at least £5M per game, and that's ignoring any other revenue streams. Get an expanded franchise and we're laughing.
I seriously doubt that THFC get all of the profit (or even a lions share) for NFL games. I would imagine the NFL just pay us a rental fee. I expect that we'll get the revenue from the food/drink sales though, although I don't see where the assumption would come from that there could ever be anywhere near as much £2 million of profit on £3 million of food and drink sales? Remember that immediately 25% of the sales price for a pint of beer is lost and duty and VAT. It is the same for any sales of hot food, 20% VAT lost immediately.

I seriously doubt that THFC get all of the profit (or even a lions share) for NFL games. I would imagine the NFL just pay us a rental fee. I expect that we'll get the revenue from the food/drink sales though, although I don't see where the assumption would come from that there could ever be anywhere near as much £2 million of profit on £3 million of food and drink sales? Remember that immediately 25% of the sales price for a pint of beer is lost and duty and VAT. It is the same for any sales of hot food, 20% VAT lost immediately.

Depends, there are multiple NFL scenarios that not all of which people are understanding

- Simple/current -> NFL runs a set amount of games per year in London at NWHL, option to push "double header" type all day events to upside
- Residency -> NFL franchise gets based at NWHL and basically we have significantly more income due to extra games
- Franchise -> ENIC/Levy invest in a franchise to have in London (NFL makes more money than football) and the sponsorship, tv money, merchandising, everything goes into another level.

Drinks are a high profit margin business, food less so but still decent margin.

Either way, without a sponsorship deal (on stadium or shirt sleeves), without the NFL rental money or first events (2 GnR concerts) we surpassed the Scum's revenue last year, this year will step up that.

My opinion, in two years only United and Pool will be close/ahead on revenue.

Depends, there are multiple NFL scenarios that not all of which people are understanding

- Simple/current -> NFL runs a set amount of games per year in London at NWHL, option to push "double header" type all day events to upside
- Residency -> NFL franchise gets based at NWHL and basically we have significantly more income due to extra games
- Franchise -> ENIC/Levy invest in a franchise to have in London (NFL makes more money than football) and the sponsorship, tv money, merchandising, everything goes into another level.

Drinks are a high profit margin business, food less so but still decent margin.

Either way, without a sponsorship deal (on stadium or shirt sleeves), without the NFL rental money or first events (2 GnR concerts) we surpassed the Scum's revenue last year, this year will step up that.

My opinion, in two years only United and Pool will be close/ahead on revenue.
Yes but you cannot expect to have a profit margin of 67% of revenues for food/beer when you are losing 20% & 25% respectively immediately in VAT & duty. It assumes a ridiculously low cost for everything else.

As well as Man Utd and Liverpool, Emirates Marketing Project's revenues will continue to outstrip ours by a big margin. Their success means that their kit manufacturer deals will be hugely higher than ours as will their commercial sponsorships (where they also have the advantage of in-house extra sweetened deals).

If we drop out of the CL (as looks very likely next season) then we also immediately drop behind Arsenal again (even if they fail to qualify themselves) as well as continuing to stay behind Chelsea (but being so by an even bigger margin).

Our stadium gives us a big advantage over the non top 6 clubs. However only continued CL participation and added success in terms of trophies will allow us to grow our commercial revenue so it is more in line with the likes of Chelsea and Arsenal.

Yes but you cannot expect to have a profit margin of 67% of revenues for food/beer when you are losing 20% & 25% respectively immediately in VAT & duty. It assumes a ridiculously low cost for everything else.

As well as Man Utd and Liverpool, Emirates Marketing Project's revenues will continue to outstrip ours by a big margin. Their success means that their kit manufacturer deals will be hugely higher than ours as will their commercial sponsorships (where they also have the advantage of in-house extra sweetened deals).

If we drop out of the CL (as looks very likely next season) then we also immediately drop behind Arsenal again (even if they fail to qualify themselves) as well as continuing to stay behind Chelsea (but being so by an even bigger margin).

Our stadium gives us a big advantage over the non top 6 clubs. However only continued CL participation and added success in terms of trophies will allow us to grow our commercial revenue so it is more in line with the likes of Chelsea and Arsenal.

Not disagreeing with the profit margin conversation

I do think you are discounting the "non football" revenue capabilities of the stadium, that is the safety card for when we don't have particularly good years or miss on CL.

Just taking a quick look at the clubs above us (last year's Deloitte report),
- we have made up so much revenue gap on Scum and Chelsea in last 5 years, that I'm pretty confident we will be above them both in next two years and moving forward.
- Pool surprised me, I thought there would be a bigger gap, but their CL run and likely run this year will keep them ahead of us.
- City is a bit ahead, United for me is the only uncatchable one .. (fudge they have revenue)

We get base profit I believe. Hence why they have different beer. I believe we make the profit up to a level £4 a pint and the NFL take the money off top (think it’s was £6 a pint)

Nice one thank you. Thought I saw that last time I was over but the club site says there isn't one. Much appreciated.

Well, unless anything has changed but I have heard stewards directing people in that direction, and seen the long, long queues afterwards (if you have time to spare before getting to the airport I suggest hanging back for a bit), so there certainly used to be.
I think the aim of the club is just to discourage people bringing bags so they don't advertise the facility.

Well, unless anything has changed but I have heard stewards directing people in that direction, and seen the long, long queues afterwards (if you have time to spare before getting to the airport I suggest hanging back for a bit), so there certainly used to be.
I think the aim of the club is just to discourage people bringing bags so they don't advertise the facility.

Was over in December and definitely saw a sign for it. Staying overnight but flights been delayed so won't have time to get to the hotel and back to the ground for the game so bag drop would be great and won't be under time pressure after. Thanks again

Back