• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT - Tottenham Hotspur Vs Liverpool

Man of the match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Andrew Robertson?

He really is going to have a field day Saturday, isn't he!?!

Aurier is at his least incompetent when further up the pitch. A tactic we've just about got away with against lesser teams. But were seriously exposed against Man U and Chelsea.

And they're not in LiVARpool's league for threats down the flank.

OK...my attempt at a team selection which might graft us something...

Gazza

Dier Sanchez Vertonghen

Skipp
Alli Eriksen

NDombele

Son Lamela
Moura

SUBS: Keepah, LoCelso, Alderweireld, Aurier, Parrott, Tanganga, Sessegnon

Yes, another gamble side which probably shows
a) why I am not a top manager and
b) why I am not a top manager...but hear me out.

If we play four at the back I think we'll get killed. If we try to go 4-3-3, we'll get killed.

This way we at least have three big, strong CBs playing in positions they know. Davo is fast. Toby will get done IMO.
Skipp is a gamble as a holding player. Immense gamble. But I don't see a choice unless we play Winks there instead. I would trust Skipp to be more industrious, grafty and simple in laying it off quickly.

Dele on the right is another gamble, but I believe that he can help keep that side locked down shape-wise, that him and Dier have a good working relationship and that again, critically, although it is not the ideal position for Dele, he allows us to play an extra attacking player whilst still doing a competent job.
I think NDombele in that role can break the lines, and providing Son, Lamela and Lucas are smart in their movements, this could be very effective. Eriksen? I SHOULD play LoCelso, but in a game like this, Eriksen is still more reliable as Gio finds his feet.

I am of the firm belief that Lucas should be the one up top, it is the position he plays best, he is an incredible ariel threat for his size and could cause the two CBs a spot of bother by splitting them with his direct running/pace.

Of course, this selection will never happen, but I DO think it would be an interesting one...back to my day job!

p.s. layout does not allow but this is essentially a 3-4-2-1!!!!

We will -of course- go 4-5-1, sit deeper than deep and try to punt the ball 60 yards to a racing Lucas thus evading all our potential footballers on the pitch. fudge me, I just want us to TRY and play FOOTBALL. I'd rather see some bravery than be bored to death by "big punt soccer ball" and still get fudging thumped!!!
But you know he will play 4 at the back, etc, etc...

OK...my attempt at a team selection which might graft us something...

Gazza

Dier Sanchez Vertonghen

Skipp
Alli Eriksen

NDombele

Son Lamela
Moura

SUBS: Keepah, LoCelso, Alderweireld, Aurier, Parrott, Tanganga, Sessegnon

Yes, another gamble side which probably shows
a) why I am not a top manager and
b) why I am not a top manager...but hear me out.

If we play four at the back I think we'll get killed. If we try to go 4-3-3, we'll get killed.

This way we at least have three big, strong CBs playing in positions they know. Davo is fast. Toby will get done IMO.
Skipp is a gamble as a holding player. Immense gamble. But I don't see a choice unless we play Winks there instead. I would trust Skipp to be more industrious, grafty and simple in laying it off quickly.

Dele on the right is another gamble, but I believe that he can help keep that side locked down shape-wise, that him and Dier have a good working relationship and that again, critically, although it is not the ideal position for Dele, he allows us to play an extra attacking player whilst still doing a competent job.
I think NDombele in that role can break the lines, and providing Son, Lamela and Lucas are smart in their movements, this could be very effective. Eriksen? I SHOULD play LoCelso, but in a game like this, Eriksen is still more reliable as Gio finds his feet.

I am of the firm belief that Lucas should be the one up top, it is the position he plays best, he is an incredible ariel threat for his size and could cause the two CBs a spot of bother by splitting them with his direct running/pace.

Of course, this selection will never happen, but I DO think it would be an interesting one...back to my day job!

p.s. layout does not allow but this is essentially a 3-4-2-1!!!!

Can't see a world where Dier is deemed more effective than Toby in the 3CBs??? Couldn't see a rationale in your post for leaving toby out other than "he'll get done" - that's surely true of Dier too?

Eriksen acting as a cover on the left against TAA?? Do me a favour. The guy doesn't know how to tackle! If we've struggled to contain their FBs in the past with Davies / Rose / Tripps / Aurier, what faith can we have that Eriksen and Alli will do so?

Oh, and I think Ndombele is injured.

Our best hope is to take our chance on containing the FBs as best we can, and flood the middle of the park with the likes of Dele, Winks, Lamela and maybe Dier. Break up the play with tactical fouls (Lamela) and stop the ball reaching the wider areas as best we can.

I admire your positivity but we tried playing Norwich off the park and look what happened there. Defend deep as we probably will have to anyway and get Toby (and Eriksen if selected) to ping passes in behind their full backs for Moura, Son and Sessegnon to counter. Fearing the worst regardless of how we approach this game.

That team would get murdered! Need something in CM to try to shut things down a bit, and Dele really isnt a CM at all. I'd play Dier and Ndombele in there if fit, but failing that Eriksen, Winks or Skipp. Options for us in CM really arent great at all at the moment

Guys, we're three pages into the OMT and there's not one win prediction but plenty of predictions for a high scoring Liverpool victory... ..There's probably not a team selection available to Jose that couldn't end up on the wrong side of a thrashing. If in the unlikelihood he were to choose the same team I've put together or very similar, you're correct @AdamB when you say it could be murdered...

The consensus seems to be, that we will not come out of this game with any points regardless of team selection, but if it's to be so, then even in defeat we should at least be looking to get something out of this game.

I can take losing but not in the manner of our recent losses to Man Utd, Chelsea and Southampton where our game was error strewn. A little bit of pressing by the opposition and our play goes to pot so I'm looking to put a stop to this..

I'd start with Lo Celso, Lamela, Dele/Eriksen, who can be compact and defend their positions with discipline. When in possession they can frustrate Liverpool and also play quick football on the counter with accurate passes. Our players, Dele in particular must be instructed not to needlessly dwell on the ball. Napoli have shown us how - compact defending allied with good possession - players that can play themselves out of tight situations and beat the press.......

If Jose goes with either Dier or Winks, or both, Liverpool like, Chelsea and Southampton, will target them with the press and our forward players will be left isolated and eventually frustrated..It'll be doing the same thing all over again and expecting a different outcome..

We need to be brave and not go into the game filled with trepidation...

Martin Atkinson is no friend of ours either.

Sending off Son at Goodison Park and still can't forgive him for the Lampard 'ghost' goal in the Cup semi final. Certainly never favours us in any games against the other top 6 clubs

Yeah, he's pretty crap all round to everyone!

I just found it laughable and also a little sad, that football fans seeing their team sitting on 58 points out of a possible 60 can still find time to moan about a referee in their forthcoming game..

Can't see a world where Dier is deemed more effective than Toby in the 3CBs??? Couldn't see a rationale in your post for leaving toby out other than "he'll get done" - that's surely true of Dier too?

Eriksen acting as a cover on the left against TAA?? Do me a favour. The guy doesn't know how to tackle! If we've struggled to contain their FBs in the past with Davies / Rose / Tripps / Aurier, what faith can we have that Eriksen and Alli will do so?

Oh, and I think Ndombele is injured.

Our best hope is to take our chance on containing the FBs as best we can, and flood the middle of the park with the likes of Dele, Winks, Lamela and maybe Dier. Break up the play with tactical fouls (Lamela) and stop the ball reaching the wider areas as best we can.

I suppose I am thinking about us actually having possession? Probably foolish. The biggest issue with what I have there is we have no natural deep CM to drop in and make a 4. And the whole thing falls down if NDombele is not fit, at which point we need to play Lamela in there IMO. No-one will be tackling TAA, it will be about reading the game around him, and Eriksen is intelligent.

As for Dier v Toby...I think Toby is a warhorse but he is basically done. Cannot jump like he used to and has lead legs. I genuinely believe that Dier on the right of a three with Davo in the middle is better in this sort of game; shame Davies isn't fit as he'd be my left of the three in our current predicament.

Bedford! I saw you deleted, be interested to see what it was and if it was in response to my madness? LOL...again, not managerial material I suppose, but don't tell me it might not be a fun thing to watch?

Guys, we're three pages into the OMT and there's not one win prediction but plenty of predictions for a high scoring Liverpool victory... ..There's probably not a team selection available to Jose that couldn't end up on the wrong side of a thrashing. If in the unlikelihood he were to choose the same team I've put together or very similar, you're correct @AdamB when you say it could be murdered...

The consensus seems to be, that we will not come out of this game with any points regardless of team selection, but if it's to be so, then even in defeat we should at least be looking to get something out of this game.

I can take losing but not in the manner of our recent losses to Man Utd, Chelsea and Southampton where our game was error strewn. A little bit of pressing by the opposition and our play goes to pot so I'm looking to put a stop to this..

I'd start with Lo Celso, Lamela, Dele/Eriksen, who can be compact and defend their positions with discipline. When in possession they can frustrate Liverpool and also play quick football on the counter with accurate passes. Our players, Dele in particular must be instructed not to needlessly dwell on the ball. Napoli have shown us how - compact defending allied with good possession - players that can play themselves out of tight situations and beat the press.......

If Jose goes with either Dier or Winks, or both, Liverpool like, Chelsea and Southampton, will target them with the press and our forward players will be left isolated and eventually frustrated..It'll be doing the same thing all over again and expecting a different outcome..

We need to be brave and not go into the game filled with trepidation...

Oh no, he said it.

Thing is, none of us are football managers and there is a good reason for that so it doesn't matter squat what we think. Jose is a pro, one of the best in the business, and he'll set us up to get a result the way he thinks best. My money is that that will involve us being defensive/solid and, if it is, I'll go with that.

I heard Pat Nevin or someone say that Liverpool go out to bombard teams in the first 15-20 mins and if you give them a head start, you are f**ked coz they'll steamroll you. If that point of view holds water, and Pat Nevin knows more than me, you couldn't blame Jose for setting up to frustrate.

Lamela as a wing back anyone??
= penalties galore, he is not a clean tackler. Giving away freekicks is fine in the final third and middle pitch less forgiving in our own penalty box.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Fapatalk

Lamela statistically gives away exactly the same number of freekicks per game as Aurier, they just don't have the same impact because they are much higher up the pitch.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Fapatalk

A fair share of those challenges will be tactical in nature tbf and due to our pressing from the front tactics so i would i expect to see that number come down substantially if his role and position on the pitch altered - for someone who gets so many yellows he has never seen red which would suggest a certain level of control despite the high number of fouls.

Wasn't a particularly serious suggestion though tbf

We’re going to get absolutely bummed.

What sort of lunatic would risk their avi starting on OMT against a Liverpool team of this strength and calibre?....

4-5-1 but with wide midfield players who will track back and help with Liverpool’s attacking full backs every time. Dier holding and I mean properly holding. I don’t want to see him any more than 10 yards inside Liverpool’s half unless up for one of our corners. Moura and Lo Celso trying to feed off scraps and make something happen. Of course even with this team defending for their lives we are still fcuked as soon as Liverpool get a corner....

————————————Gazza
Aurier———Alderweireld————--Verts——————Rose
Lamela—-—Moura————Dier——-Lo Celso———Sessegnon
—————————————Son

Last edited:
Yeah, he's pretty crap all round to everyone!

I just found it laughable and also a little sad, that football fans seeing their team sitting on 58 points out of a possible 60 can still find time to moan about a referee in their forthcoming game..

Yes , quite unbelievable they are moaning , have they seen his history with us !!!????
Its a common tactic they deploy, as they did before the CL final moaning the ref was biased against them and he would cost them the final , really pressured a weak , inexperienced ref ( at that level) and he caved.
Atkinson is the very worst ref possible for us, he's horrendous and I actually think he doesn't understand football and completely guesses most of his decisions, not least the Chelsea semi final goal , which has been proven that it was impossible for him to see the ball , so he guessed , he cheated!
Hate him with a passion !

Last edited:
Would be tasty to put an end to their undefeated run... Shame we have a bunch of gutless cowards running around for us at the moment.

I fear the CL final loss and the shame of getting Poch sacked are going to haunt this squad for a long time yet. fudging fragile little pricks.

3-0 to us.

Back