• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Would you fly on a Boeing 737 Max?

Logged, coming up for 100. In total, somewhere around 200 I'd guess, but they don't count for anything in terms of a commercial licence as they're not official.

So, about a 100 logged and another 100 joy riding.
I don't believe that you are taking flying seriously.
I assume that these are on some type of a Cessna plane.
Serious trainees do their first solo flight at around 15 hours.
Air Force cadets at around 10 hours.
After about 40 hours, you should be able to get your PPL.
This allows you to take non paying passengers.
For taking paying passengers, you need a CPL.
Are you working towards that?

Boeing have admitted to major wiring issues on the 737 MAX.
These can create short circuits with major consequences :(:eek:

So, about a 100 logged and another 100 joy riding.
I don't believe that you are taking flying seriously.
I assume that these are on some type of a Cessna plane.
Serious trainees do their first solo flight at around 15 hours.
Air Force cadets at around 10 hours.
After about 40 hours, you should be able to get your PPL.
This allows you to take non paying passengers.
For taking paying passengers, you need a CPL.
Are you working towards that?
No, I have no plans to earn money from it. I don't particularly like taking any passengers - this is a hobby and one that causes relaxation. Passengers are the opposite of that.

@scara.
Great. I was an air force pilot way back in 1966.
Hated it. Air force rules are VERY strict.
Got out as quickly as I could, and joined the IT revolution in 1967.
Never looked back, in terms of job satisfaction and MONEY.
Managed to comfortably retire at age 55.

@scara.
Great. I was an air force pilot way back in 1966.
Hated it. Air force rules are VERY strict.
Got out as quickly as I could, and joined the IT revolution in 1967.
Never looked back, in terms of job satisfaction and MONEY.
Managed to comfortably retire at age 55.
Then I'm sure you're familiar with that wonderful peace (strangely accentuated by the drone of a prop) that being in air with no distractions brings

The previous Boeing, the 787-800, seems to be crashing a lot. A relatively new plane, I survived a flight on one 3 days ago. Is this record a statistical anomaly:

FlyDubai 737-800 from Dubai crashed while trying to land at Rostov-on-Don airport in Russia, killing 62 onboard. Another 737-800 flight from Dubai, operated by Air India Express, crashed in May 2010 while trying to land in Mangalore, India, killing more than 150 onboard.

Then the one last night flying from Iran to Kiev.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

The previous Boeing, the 787-800, seems to be crashing a lot. A relatively new plane, I survived a flight on one 3 days ago. Is this record a statistical anomaly:

FlyDubai 737-800 from Dubai crashed while trying to land at Rostov-on-Don airport in Russia, killing 62 onboard.
Crew error:
https://www.mak-iac.org/upload/iblock/3d1/report_a6-fdn_eng.pdf

Another 737-800 flight from Dubai, operated by Air India Express, crashed in May 2010 while trying to land in Mangalore, India, killing more than 150 onboard.
Crew error:
http://dgca.nic.in/accident/reports/VT-AXV.pdf

Then the one last night flying from Iran to Kiev.

Pure speculation based on a few photos, but there's a huge spread of the wreckage which almost always means mid-air explosion.
Some people have been showing photos of what looks like frag damage on the fuselage but it's not clear as to which direction it came from. Also reports of comms stopping well short of where the flight was last tracked to.

My money's on godtards

Edit:
I just read that Iran is refusing to allow anyone access to the flight data recorders. I'm doubling down on godtards.

Crew error:
https://www.mak-iac.org/upload/iblock/3d1/report_a6-fdn_eng.pdf

Crew error:
http://dgca.nic.in/accident/reports/VT-AXV.pdf

Pure speculation based on a few photos, but there's a huge spread of the wreckage which almost always means mid-air explosion.
Some people have been showing photos of what looks like frag damage on the fuselage but it's not clear as to which direction it came from. Also reports of comms stopping well short of where the flight was last tracked to.

My money's on godtards

Edit:
I just read that Iran is refusing to allow anyone access to the flight data recorders. I'm doubling down on godtards.

Does seem a coincidence that the night they fired off missiles a plane crashes.

A few other fatalities associated with the 787-800, is it harder to fly safely than Airbus? Or just a popular plane?

One of the most recent fatal incidents involving a 737-800 occurred in September 2018, when a flight by the Papua New Guinea airline Air Niugini undershot the runway at Chuuk airport in Micronesia and landed in a lagoon. One of the 47 occupants died.

In January 2010 an Ethiopian Airlines flight to the Ethiopian capital of Addis Ababa crashed into the Mediterranean Sea shortly after takeoff from Beirut Rafic Hariri airport, killing 90.

In 2007 a Kenya Airways flight carrying 115 people crashed shortly after takeoff from Douala, Cameroon, on a flight to the Kenyan capital, Nairobi, with no survivors.

Does seem a coincidence that the night they fired off missiles a plane crashes.

A few other fatalities associated with the 787-800, is it harder to fly safely than Airbus? Or just a popular plane?

One of the most recent fatal incidents involving a 737-800 occurred in September 2018, when a flight by the Papua New Guinea airline Air Niugini undershot the runway at Chuuk airport in Micronesia and landed in a lagoon. One of the 47 occupants died.

In January 2010 an Ethiopian Airlines flight to the Ethiopian capital of Addis Ababa crashed into the Mediterranean Sea shortly after takeoff from Beirut Rafic Hariri airport, killing 90.

In 2007 a Kenya Airways flight carrying 115 people crashed shortly after takeoff from Douala, Cameroon, on a flight to the Kenyan capital, Nairobi, with no survivors.
There's just a lot of them around - and unfortunately a lot of brick pilots too.

Please don't use Ethiopian Airlines as a yardstick - have a look at some pilot forums to see what the professional opinion of them is.

There's just a lot of them around - and unfortunately a lot of brick pilots too.

Please don't use Ethiopian Airlines as a yardstick - have a look at some pilot forums to see what the professional opinion of them is.

All these fatal crashes do seem to be on less developed airlines. Are there any stats you know of re. this? Would be interesting.

At the moment people just use a price comparison engine, and tend to book the cheapest flight on the list. That could change if a clear link between fatalities and quality of carrier is identified. Though in the UK, US etc. I guess even the budget airlines are trusted with safety and pilot training/quality?

All these fatal crashes do seem to be on less developed airlines. Are there any stats you know of re. this? Would be interesting.

At the moment people just use a price comparison engine, and tend to book the cheapest flight on the list. That could change if a clear link between fatalities and quality of carrier is identified. Though in the UK, US etc. I guess even the budget airlines are trusted with safety and pilot training/quality?
US/EU rules are across the board - no matter how budget the airline, the rules are uniform.

In my experience, US carriers are beyond compare when it comes to training, maintenance, etc. At the other end of the scale tend to be those that are nationally owned, as the regulator is also the owner - never a good idea.

In terms of booking, it's hard to say from a UK perspective. 99% of the flights I book either leave from or arrive in the UK, so they tend to be UK carriers. On the few occasions I've taken a 2 legged flight, they've been in the US or on a high end Middle Eastern carrier. Because of that, I've never had to look at the safety record of the operator, but I'd absolutely think twice before getting on an Ethiopian Airlines flight.

US/EU rules are across the board - no matter how budget the airline, the rules are uniform.

In my experience, US carriers are beyond compare when it comes to training, maintenance, etc. At the other end of the scale tend to be those that are nationally owned, as the regulator is also the owner - never a good idea.

In terms of booking, it's hard to say from a UK perspective. 99% of the flights I book either leave from or arrive in the UK, so they tend to be UK carriers. On the few occasions I've taken a 2 legged flight, they've been in the US or on a high end Middle Eastern carrier. Because of that, I've never had to look at the safety record of the operator, but I'd absolutely think twice before getting on an Ethiopian Airlines flight.

African and previous Russian carriers were notorious! With the growth in air travel, some of the new Asian ones seem questionable too? have invested quite heavily in airline stocks (and Airbus) so taking an interest. As I posted 10 pages back, wanted to Short Boeing. Knew their share price would drop. Has anyone short sold stock as a layperson? What are the best brokers, ideally with an app?

African and previous Russian carriers were notorious! With the growth in air travel, some of the new Asian ones seem questionable too? have invested quite heavily in airline stocks (and Airbus) so taking an interest. As I posted 10 pages back, wanted to Short Boeing. Knew their share price would drop. Has anyone short sold stock as a layperson? What are the best brokers, ideally with an app?
There are a few bad ones in Asia too.

I wouldn't try and short by yourself, your exposure is almost limitless and would be extremely risky. Best bet is to try and find a fund that shorts and see what their position is re: Boeing.

Most Odey funds probably have a short position on Boeing, but you've probably missed that boat. You need to be in for a while though, his stuff's really volatile. There's a Janus Henderson funds that's heavy on US shorts.

There are a few bad ones in Asia too.

I wouldn't try and short by yourself, your exposure is almost limitless and would be extremely risky. Best bet is to try and find a fund that shorts and see what their position is re: Boeing.

Most Odey funds probably have a short position on Boeing, but you've probably missed that boat. You need to be in for a while though, his stuff's really volatile. There's a Janus Henderson funds that's heavy on US shorts.

Cheers. I don’t fully understand shorting. Say with Boeing, e.g. it has lost 25%, you’d previously shorted it to lose 20%. Is your profit just the 20%?

Invested in Wizz air and Spirit Airlines both use Airbus. 20% and 10% up in 3 months. Spirit could be a good tip. Share price is half what it was, PE is seriously low, and their biz model is v sound imo. Europe has gone budget for short-haul flights, the US will follow and Spirit are growing etc

Cheers. I don’t fully understand shorting. Say with Boeing, e.g. it has lost 25%, you’d previously shorted it to lose 20%. Is your profit just the 20%?
I suppose you could manually short if you could find a broker to "lend" stock to you personally and buy back at whatever price you choose, making the full 25%. Most of these trades are automated though and you'd automatically trigger the buy at 20%.

I've never shorted anything myself, but I'd imagine they would want to see some kind of collateral from you as your potential debt to them could be huge.

Invested in Wizz air and Spirit Airlines both use Airbus. 20% and 10% up in 3 months. Spirit could be a good tip. Share price is half what it was, PE is seriously low, and their biz model is v sound imo. Europe has gone budget for short-haul flights, the US will follow and Spirit are growing etc

That's a good tip, thanks. Most of my money's in funds rather than individual companies but it sounds worth a punt.

Looks pretty clear that a missile or two brought down that Boeing. Planes don't catch fire with such intensity in such a short space of time.

Looks pretty clear that a missile or two bought down that Boeing. Planes don't catch fire with such intensity in such a short space of time.
There's a remote possibility that an engine was on fire, combined with massive over-fueling to it and a complete failure of all fire suppression. The explosion of the cowling could have made those external shrapnel marks.

Considering be location, missile is far more likely though.

Back