• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT - Tottenham Hotspur vs Smoggies in FA Cup

Man of the match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m assuming he is trying to find a formation that suits the players he has so he can go through evolution rather than revolution
Sensible approach IMO

He had a formation that suited the players. That lop sided 4231. He came in with a formation that works for the balance of our squad. Got decent results. People were happy enough.
Then he turns up against Chelsea and Lampard and decides to be 'clever' and play a 433 instead with Alli deep. Ends up 'out-tacticed' by Lampard.
And he hasnt picked the same starting formation since.
We've won 1 of the 5 games since he started changed things up.
We won 5 of the 7 with the settled 4231 formation they got used to.

He had a formation that suited the players. That lop sided 4231. He came in with a formation that works for the balance of our squad. Got decent results. People were happy enough.
Then he turns up against Chelsea and Lampard and decides to be 'clever' and play a 433 instead with Alli deep. Ends up 'out-tacticed' by Lampard.
I think it’s Alli dropping deep myself to help with the lack of a passer in midfield (we were without or not playing any at one point)
And now Alli is in a rut

So...first off, do you think Mourinho asks him to switch off like he does defensively? Question what you like, I think to suggest as much as ludicrous. Secondly, he has played the three more recently but it has not been his common shape. That has been 4-2-3-1. If you want to go through match by match I’d be happy to. Thirdly, and this is the one place I agree, Aurier is Aurier. He can be great going forward, albeit erratic, and he is not a great defender. So it is on the manager when he plays him. I am personally baffled Mourinho persists with him, it must be for what he hopes he can bring going forwards. Let’s see how he does next weekend; I predict he will cost us at least one goal if not more depending on shape.
Sorry.... When did he switch off defensively? All players make mistakes, I don't think he has made more than any of our players since Mourinho took over.

Also while we may set up with the TV telling you we're a 4-2-3-1 with Vertonghen at left back, don't gullibly believe that and instead look with your own eyes at how Vertonghen doesn't venture forward any more than Alderweireld does as another one of the three centre halves.

So his poor performance was everybody else's fault but his?

Once he dropped deeper he actually improved IMO as he was a disaster when further forward and Lo Celso and Lamela showed up how bad he was by showing how easy it was to make things happen in the final third by injecting some pace into the attack.

You asked me a question I gave you an answer. If you don’t like it, great, but that is my answer. I think he is a player who unless producing magic every game attracts criticism from certain people. You appear to be one of them. Mitigating circumstances matter not. As for LoCelso and Lamela improving the game, they certainly did but not at Alli’s expense. He remained on the pitch and played yet another position. Also, despite “improving” the game, we still drew and still didn’t create a huge amount of chances. Final thought, perhaps a further reason for improvement was the ball getting forward quicker from midfield as opposed to being lost in the Winks/Eriksen bermuda triangle.

I almost hope he doesn’t play next week so we can all see how it goes without him!

1 in 5 against teams that are at best no better and most cases much worse than us.

It's time for a lot of people to wise up, this team is dead, and has been for a considerable time.

He has a free role in Mourinho's team. Having a free role is a huge privilege. Players with a free role need to make good things happen every game.

Well that’s not how football works. Especially when there’s minimal movement around him.

Looks like we’re on a different page. Happy to move on.

Can't believe how many crossing opportunities Aurier gets. I guess if Trippier was still here the opposition would not be allowing us so many.

OK. By that logic, I take it you never question any manager's decisions as they are professional managers and you are not? You could turn it on its head and say Poch's failure to drop dross like Alli cost him his job.
And Mourinho? A new manager who has identified Dele as a key player?

You asked me a question I gave you an answer. If you don’t like it, great, but that is my answer. I think he is a player who unless producing magic every game attracts criticism from certain people. You appear to be one of them. Mitigating circumstances matter not. As for LoCelso and Lamela improving the game, they certainly did but not at Alli’s expense. He remained on the pitch and played yet another position. Also, despite “improving” the game, we still drew and still didn’t create a huge amount of chances. Final thought, perhaps a further reason for improvement was the ball getting forward quicker from midfield as opposed to being lost in the Winks/Eriksen bermuda triangle.

I almost hope he doesn’t play next week so we can all see how it goes without him!
We agree on one thing then (your last paragraph). His last two or three appearances are ones worthy of being dropped. Players given a free role need to be assisting or scoring every game, not causing attacks to break down.

Jose is not turning this lot into winners. He will need huge investment in this squad and it’s highly doubtful that will come.

Players still look like they are just going through the motions. It’s understandable that certain players levels have dropped. Toby and Jans best days are behind them.

Best buckle up as we are heading for some tough times I have no doubt.

Assume that the replay will be between the Liverpool and Watford games on Tuesday 14th January, as Boro are playing on Friday (17th)

Did you think Dele played well today? I am generally a big advocate of his but I thought today he was appalling. It was a George Weah's cousin type performance
Didn't think he was appalling. Just thought he was average like most with Lamela, Aurier and Eriksen the only players who were above. But Dele was no where near as bad as some of the hyperbole suggests.

Do you not feel his poor form has been ongoing over an extended period of time? IMO his performances fell off a cliff after the last season at WHL.
I think his form has been inconsistent but then he is playing in a team whose form is likewise. He has 6 goals and 3 assists in 14 PL matches compared to 5 goals and 7 assists for Son. So hardly the disaster that has been suggested. Could he do better ? Most definitely but that applies to 90 % of the current first team.

Sorry.... When did he switch off defensively? All players make mistakes, I don't think he has made more than any of our players since Mourinho took over.

Also while we may set up with the TV telling you we're a 4-2-3-1 with Vertonghen at left back, don't gullibly believe that and instead look with your own eyes at how Vertonghen doesn't venture forward any more than Alderweireld does as another one of the three centre halves.

The TV comment is cheap; I expect better from you. Maybe I should downgrade my expectations.

We have played with a four a fair few times. Of course Verts doesn't venture forth. I am neither gullible or a TV slave. Again, your assertion of both os patronizing and insulting. I think it would serve you well to try ever so hard to understand the criticisms being put forward.
When playing with four at the back, Aurier costs us a covering DM every match. Usually Sissoko. Which leaves one. Usually Winks or Dier under Mourinho. Which means teams can press two areas to force mistakes. Often, in the scramble to cover Aurier, it leaves our CBs vulnerable (Toby is slow) and as we have ascertained, Verts is also not playing the fast game (!!!). When Moura decides to switch off as well (he often does unless instructed) and if Dele is playing up top off Kane, we end up with Sissoko haring over to cover Aurier's slot, Davos moving across to try and help, we're light in the DM position due to Sissoko and Toby gets left solo to deal. Look with your own eyes how many times that has happened per game. Dier gets coated here -and he is not the player he was- but leave him isolated and he is a sitting duck. Toby? His legs went 16 months ago! Sissoko is not a RB and should not be. In fact, truthfully, the main cover for Aurier should come from Moura (when on that side obviously) or whoever IS on that side, but sadly that also remains a problem. The ONLY place I can find even a shred of agreement with you on Aurier is that he is who he is (an un-coachable frustratingly talented player) who is picked tom play by the manager. So, as I do with every player, when they start in our shirt, they get my full support whatever I think about them.

\

I think his form has been inconsistent but then he is playing in a team whose form is likewise. He has 6 goals and 3 assists in 14 PL matches compared to 5 goals and 7 assists for Son. So hardly the disaster that has been suggested. Could he do better ? Most definitely but that applies to 90 % of the current first team.

A good example of stats being deceiving. Alli is a passenger for 90% of games, whereas Son is one of our main outlets and biggest threats.

I think Alli has been very consistent - consistently poor. He doesn't go through highs and lows, but is and has been underwhelming and ineffective for a very long period of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back