• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

This boards view on *alleged* racist behaviour

^^
Just read that THST statement.

Really, what is the point? What does it add or how does it help?
Maybe, just maybe, the club actually know what they are doing in this instance (plus it is still the holiday period).
It's a no win situation for the club (unless Rudiger is willing to say he misheard), so perhaps leave it to them to decide when the most appropriate time for a statement is?

The trust get some attention. Makes them feel relevant I guess.

THST statement on investigations into allegations made at our home game against Chelsea
1/3/2020

It’s now 12 days since allegations that Antonio Rüdiger was racially abused by the home crowd at the Premier League game between Spurs and Chelsea on Sunday 22 December. In the interests of all concerned, there now needs to be a clear statement on what has been established by the investigation THFC announced immediately after the game.

Either there was racist abuse, or there wasn’t. If racist abuse occurred, the perpetrators must be punished. If none occurred, the reputation of Tottenham Hotspur fans must be cleared.

We understand the need for any investigation to be conducted properly. We acknowledge that the number of working days over the Christmas and New Year period presented a challenge. And we have been mindful of the need to refrain from comment while the investigation was in progress. Too many people have rushed to judgement before being sure of the facts.

But the lack of any update from either the Club or the Police after the initial Club statement on 23 December, other than a brief reference to the investigation being ongoing on 24 December, is leading to increasing levels of speculation and conjecture. The time has come for the facts as they are known to be laid out.

We have continuously urged for a swift conclusion throughout the festive period and now publicly call upon THFC and the Metropolitan Police to clarify as a matter of urgency what facts have been established, and what still remains to investigate.

THST Board
3 January 2020

Mixed feelings on this statement. Wholeheartedly agree with the sentiment, the Club, preferably with a separate or back up statement from the Met, need to bring this to a conclusion. Just not sure about the slightly pompous tone.

I dont have a problem with that statement. They're clear that if anyone has racially abused someone they should be punished appropriately. However if lip-readers cannot find any racial abuse, then the club and the Met should say that they have looked through all the images and dont see any evidence of racist abuse.

In terms of timing, there's only a certain number of people in that part of the crowd, and they're probably only looking at a 30 second period (max) so it shouldnt take too long at all

^^
Just read that THST statement.

Really, what is the point? What does it add or how does it help?
Maybe, just maybe, the club actually know what they are doing in this instance (plus it is still the holiday period).
It's a no win situation for the club (unless Rudiger is willing to say he misheard), so perhaps leave it to them to decide when the most appropriate time for a statement is?
I think it is a worthwhile statement from the trust. If the club and police can find no evidence of racist abuse then I think the club should be making a statement informing of this.

I think it is a worthwhile statement from the trust. If the club and police can find no evidence of racist abuse then I think the club should be making a statement informing of this.

I agree. The trust are supposed to represent US, the fans. And in that our reputation has been tarnished and yet not proven means this needs to be moved on with. If there are no corroborating witnesses and no video or audio to confirm it then our name needs to be cleared of this. Rudiger made a mistake. He mistook boo's for what he thought he heard.

They found the one Chelski fan quick enough.

And we have been mindful of the need to refrain from comment while the investigation was in progress.

That part of the statement made me chuckle, never stopped them from blabbing on other occasions.

I think so too. And I'm sure they will at the appropriate time - once the investigation (including presumably by the Met as well) has concluded.

I agree. The trust are supposed to represent US, the fans. And in that our reputation has been tarnished and yet not proven means this needs to be moved on with. If there are no corroborating witnesses and no video or audio to confirm it then our name needs to be cleared of this. Rudiger made a mistake. He mistook boo's for what he thought he heard.

They found the one Chelski fan quick enough.

If there is no evidence to corroborate Rudiger's allegations then I think the club will make this clear, in as diplomatic a way as possible. I think it most likely he did mishear. It seems wholly unlikely that what he was claiming would not also have been heard by others closer then he was.
But unless Rudiger himself admits that as a possibility, then our reputation will remain to some extent tarnished, whatever evidence we find or don't find, because mud sticks. Hence the club need to be very thoughtful as to how they word their final statement. Any hint that Rudiger was wrong to make his allegation could backfire and make the situation worse.

I'd absolutely love for our name to be cleared and for the media to retract the comments they made. But given that a few of our fans are not perfect (although far and away better than certain other clubs) (e.g. @Bedfordspurs said a mate of his heard a fan of ours racially abusing Son at the same game; plus the banana skin incident from last season which now gets mentioned in almost every report on football and racism and I bet will again be mentioned when the conclusion of this particular case is reported) I suspect the club will not want to stick its metaphorical head too far above the parapet and give this any more oxygen than necessary.

I agree with the second sentence there.

I'm fairly sure the club doesn't need a group of attention-seeking busybodies to tell them that.

black person alleges white person was racist in a situation where it is impossible to prove or disprove
white people check, and say: "no one was racist here. the black person is mistaken or playing the race card. because we have found no evidence, this racist abuse obviously did not happen.
many people are lead to think: by extension, this means most people who allege racism are just making it up and it just sucks we can't have a full investigation every time.
black people think: nothing has changed, white people are as racist as ever, this happens every time, I swear to GHod one of their fans threw a banana on the pitch and i saw that one with my own eyes; next time i'll just keep my mouth shut because what is the point.

can you not see the optics?

we just need to let it die by itself

And we have been mindful of the need to refrain from comment while the investigation was in progress.

That part of the statement made me chuckle, never stopped them from blabbing on other occasions.
The investigation is still ongoing?.....'mindful' but gave up on the refraining.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Has there been another statement?

No, I feel the poster has got somewhat mixed up with the THST statement....Just minor details like where the information is actually coming from that helps to know before reacting to something, nothing too crucial!

Tough this. I do feel we need to follow this to the end. I read the article from Daily Mail and it is so emotionally driven. A person cannot lie to take advantage of either the social or formal judgement? If you defend yourself then you are most likely guilty. I thought it was innocent until proven guilty.

The club can’t be held to ransom. With all the cameras and recordings, as well as thousands of people - witnesses - it should be easy to identify any racism and deal with the individual/s promptly.

That no one has been arrested suggests the media and political nonsense are stopping us from providing a clear update

That daily fail article is disgusting. No one is blaming Rudiger. But truth must out. That the daily mail are not interested in truth says a lot about their journalists.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Back