• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT - Tottenham Hotspur v South Coast's Biggest Club

Man of the match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I cannot see there not being fireworks between Mourinho and Levy sometime over the next two windows. I don't buy Mourinho saying that he is happy with the squad, I think that is spin. He has never operated like that in his career and I don't think he'll start now.

Of course not and neither should he. I hope he holds Levy's feet to the fire; Daniel knew who he was getting,and Mourinho cannot be expected to change his ways now.

Poch would have had the final say and run the rule over any signing, i never once infered otherwise. Trouble is when you have literally no money to spend the pool of players you can target and are offered becomes less and less - this shouldn't really need explaining.

So as a manager do you continue to sign brick like Nkoudou and Njie to get players in the door or do you say no i don't want the targets available and have a summer with no signings at all?

When you say "literally no money ", have you totalled up how much Poch spent on those 26 signings? Even brick like N'Koudo, N'Jai, Jansen, Stombouli, Llorente, Sissoko, Aurier, Moura, Sanchez, etc etc cost a pretty penny. That's not even including this summers quartet of signings. It was his poor decision making when " having the final say over signings" that was at fault.

Of course not and neither should he. I hope he holds Levy's feet to the fire; Daniel knew who he was getting,and Mourinho cannot be expected to change his ways now.

You can equally say that Jose knew what he was getting and Levy’s ways have been set for far longer than Jose’s.

The problem is that with Mourinho that anger turns destructive quite quickly. I hope that Levy knows what he is letting himself in for and that they are both pulling in the same direction at the moment.

Disssssssagree!!!!! Had Levy sold Alderweireld and Eriksen, had he taken, say 40 mill for Toby instead of 50-60, had he taken, say, 90 or 100 for Eriksen rather than holding out for what was it, 140? We'd have approx 150-180 million in, Poch might well have then been able to sign QUALITY within the remit you offered and there we are. Jesus, we wouldn't even fudging unload Janssen and Nkoudou without bleeding a few extra quid? As for those who talk about "business" and "books" we will now lose a player in Eriksen for free when we could've sold him abroad for somewhere close to his value (a value he has currently lost). So it didn't really work did it?

The main stubbornness Poch showed was in keeping largely quiet. I wish he'd bitched more. Perhaps we would not have ended up with the sad drift of this season.

Or was it perhaps that Poch still had some misplaced loyalty to those players who had served him so well and couldn't stand the thought of Toby or Eriksen ever wanting to leave him? If Levy had undercut Poch and sold Toby and Eriksen at their peak for under their perceived value, how would Poch have felt then? It's all just speculation.

I think our fanbase have different expectations from the likes of Emirates Marketing Project/Liverpool/Man Utd though. And rightly so generally for financial reasons.

You can be sure though that if those clubs finished in 2nd place and made a decent fist of a title race (though we never really got that close that season), they'd be looking to kick on and win the league next season. Or win something at least.

A lot of our fans seemed happy though to fall back (and not even see it as falling back), as long as we carried on finishing in the top 4. With the general view of the long term.

Which is fine...but we also need to look at least partly to the short and medium term. We're a football club, not (solely) a business. As fans, we're there to watch our team win games and trophies if we can, not sit there comparing our revenues now and 20 years ago or crow about our training ground/ how advanced the technology is in the stadium.

Sometimes you need to seize the moment and strike, make a small gamble for a big payoff. For a while now, we have had opportunities. Times when the opposition flank is exposed and if we just gambled with our troops just a little bit, we could have swept in and really achieved something huge. Instead we've dithered, kept the centre in the centre and ploughed on.

If you'll allow me to indulge my historical geekiness for a second, you don't become a Caesar, a Hannibal, a Napoleon, by always taking the safe option. if you want to really rise to the top, sometimes you have to take that risk. Otherwise you risk missing your shot and being consigned to small print of the history books.
"To dare is to do"????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

You can equally say that Jose knew what he was getting and Levy’s ways have been set for far longer than Jose’s.

You could but as the man in charge, if you hire a Chef who has Michelin stars for Chinese cuisine for your Mexican restaurant and steadfastly refuse to give him the Chinese ingredients his style works best with, then I think you’d be considered foolish (bear in mind I could be very wrong and Levy might be about to hand him a wonga pile!!!)...

Or was it perhaps that Poch still had some misplaced loyalty to those players who had served him so well and couldn't stand the thought of Toby or Eriksen ever wanting to leave him? If Levy had undercut Poch and sold Toby and Eriksen at their peak for under their perceived value, how would Poch have felt then? It's all just speculation.

I can categorically tell you that he wanted both Toby and Rose gone two seasons ago so as he could reinvest. I “believe” he also wanted us to break our wage structure to keep
Eriksen. I also “believe” that when Eriksen saw the hardball line from Levy yet also saw Levy giving himself a (4 mill?) bonus it might well have not gone over too well. It is not about whether he did or did not deserve the bonus, it is about the message sent.

The problem is that with Mourinho that anger turns destructive quite quickly. I hope that Levy knows what he is letting himself in for and that they are both pulling in the same direction at the moment.

Absolutely!

When you say "literally no money ", have you totalled up how much Poch spent on those 26 signings? Even brick like N'Koudo, N'Jai, Jansen, Stombouli, Llorente, Sissoko, Aurier, Moura, Sanchez, etc etc cost a pretty penny. That's not even including this summers quartet of signings. It was his poor decision making when " having the final say over signings" that was at fault.

Sorry, no.
FWIW, Sanchez and Llorente were not “brick”, he has got his value out of Sissoko and Moura paid his fee with that hattrick (playing through the middle for Kane - Mourinho today said we had no options when Kane went off when what he meant was no expert International class CF...which we had with Llorente who we let go without replacing!!!!)

Llorente was a strange one! I think he was accidentally OK! but nothing more.
Let see if Jose is going to bother with this window!

I can categorically tell you that he wanted both Toby and Rose gone two seasons ago so as he could reinvest. I “believe” he also wanted us to break our wage structure to keep
Eriksen. I also “believe” that when Eriksen saw the hardball line from Levy yet also saw Levy giving himself a (4 mill?) bonus it might well have not gone over too well. It is not about whether he did or did not deserve the bonus, it is about the message sent.

FWIW if Poch wanted Toby and Rose gone then simply don't select them. He just needed to select Sanchez and Davies. I " believe" he thought he could talk Eriksen round and wouldn't think he could be " disloyal" or lose faith in ""the project". Personally, I think Eriksen wants trophies and it wasn't about the money.

And why did he let Llorente and Trippier go without signing replacements?

The worst performance i have seen for months by a Spurs. Poorly coached and confirming what i feared in that football has left Jose behind and that he and his methods are past-it.
Nothing apart from sideways passing and long-balls when Soton allowed (and that was meat and drink for their tall backline, like it was for Norwich's).

Oh well, this is the culmination of what happens when at the very top they don't care so much about football achievements and more about profiteering from real estate.

The worst performance i have seen for months by a Spurs. Poorly coached and confirming what i feared in that football has left Jose behind and that he and his methods are past-it.
Nothing apart from sideways passing and long-balls when Soton allowed (and that was meat and drink for their tall backline, like it was for Norwich's).

Oh well, this is the culmination of what happens when at the very top they don't care so much about football achievements and more about profiteering from real estate.

I agree with your assessment. It was nothing short of criminal that we could only muster two dead ball goals against Norwich and Southampton. Can't work out JM's tactics here. We seem completely uncoached at the moment. However, it wasn't any better under Poch this season. Something really does have to change - and quickly.

I agree with your assessment. It was nothing short of criminal that we could only muster two dead ball goals against Norwich and Southampton. Can't work out JM's tactics here. We seem completely uncoached at the moment. However, it wasn't any better under Poch this season. Something really does have to change - and quickly.

Sadly, i can't see much change..ironically, Jose as a coach has been going rapidly downhill for some time now, the main point from which he has been nosediving was five years ago today imo...

Back