• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

This boards view on *alleged* racist behaviour

At the risk of opening up a whole other can of worms, where are people’s heads at with the ‘rent boys’ comments / songs? I heard plenty of that yesterday - surely there should be zero tolerance on that too?

Two wrongs etc comes to mind.
Also, I used to call Ray Parlour a ginger tosser, is that racist?

At the risk of opening up a whole other can of worms, where are people’s heads at with the ‘rent boys’ comments / songs? I heard plenty of that yesterday - surely there should be zero tolerance on that too?
Depends on the meaning.

I've always taken it to mean that they'd do anything for money, that they're cheap, etc. That's fine if so.

If the suggestion is Chelsea = Gay and Gay = bad then it's entirely wrong.

Depends on the meaning.

I've always taken it to mean that they'd do anything for money, that they're cheap, etc. That's fine if so.

If the suggestion is Chelsea = Gay and Gay = bad then it's entirely wrong.

I thought it was because they used to rent Stamford bridge, which was why it was a car park with a bit of grass in the middle and such a brickhole?

There is also risk that people will start to see “being racist” as a way to stick it to the man as something to do just to be rebellious.

Some people will shout any old rubbish if they know it riles people (and/or the authorities) up.

There is also risk that people will start to see “being racist” as a way to stick it to the man as something to do just to be rebellious.

Some people will shout any old rubbish if they know it riles people (and/or the authorities) up.
This is an interesting one.
I definitely think your post above is a risk.
There is also a risk this becomes a regular occurrence - react on the smallest suggestion rather than extra verification.

Take the England v Bulgaria game. There was clearly audible racist chants for a while before the first warning.
It was;
I. Prolonged
II. A large group

Yesterday appears to be one person making a hideous comment. Wouldn't a better approach be to tell the police and let them investigate? Rather than make it "a spectacle".
Deal with the perpetrator, not the collective activity.

Where there is a verification (IE other players hear it etc) then take greater action.
I appreciate the flip side of this is "look like you let racism slide".

I dont think racism is a BIG problem in English football. It is being magnified as always and used by the media.
I think it is a "topical" or "trendy" problem with Sky and the rest of the media.
Throwing items onto the pitch is almost deemed trivial by the same authorities. This is ironic in many ways.

I dont think racism is a BIG problem in English football. It is being magnified as always and used by the media.
I think it is a "topical" or "trendy" problem with Sky and the rest of the media.

I'm not sure thats true. Its definitely creeping back into the game and as its 2019 and we are maybe 2 generations on from when people were naive to racism, there is no excuse for it anymore.

Its been cropping up all over the place, its just not on anymore.

100%.

I.e 7 people have been stabbed and killed in London in the past week. Yet the bbc website homepage has nothing on this, but does mention our match yesterday.

I think it’s good that racism is given prominent attention. However, the main stream media are largely hypocritical to gloss over more serious (aka more controversial) issues.

I've no time for racism.

I can't really figure why a player would claim this had he not heard/mis-heard something. I was not near enough to pick up any individual noises, just lots of booing.

I don't believe that Sky didn't react to the first announcement with a switch of a camera to monitor that part.

If they get someone, then it's him out forever. If he was on someone else's ticket, then he's out too - as it says on ST etc ' you are responsible for the behaviour of whoever occupies your seat' (if ST holder has shared/passed on rather than TO re-assignment).

Hope it's done hard & done quick.

Meejah climbing on board is simply an easy run, studio-based outrage from talking heads. Post-election when many are on Christmas leave arrangements, it was a GHod send (Christmas .... GHod send - geddit?).

I was pleasantly surprised at the reaction of a US 'rap star' doing Sky press review when the host asked 'should the players walk off?' He said no, and it would be a mistake to let the occasional idiot win.

Were it to have been a block singing it, a different matter.

Usually there is a degree of self-policing at games, so if there has been racist chanting I'm sure there will have been attempts at self-policing and any perpetrators will be uncovered relatively quickly.

There are some wider issues regarding supporter/player behaviour that merit consideration, for example:

1. What is and isn't acceptable in terms of chanting, comment, fans behaviour etc - as I suspect there may be a temptation to tolerate things that would not be acceptable outside a football ground "because it is football". It is normal to hear all kinds of abuse directed at the opposition, the officials, the opposing fans and even our own players. I remember Kyle Walker being habitually abused at several games by one particular fan who would spend much of the game standing in the lower West stand delivering a constant stream of invective directed at Walker. While the supporter's stamina was impressive -is that acceptable behaviour?

2. How responsible should a club be for the views expressed by their fans? If you have certain duties regarding behaviour within the ground, how do you discharge those duties effectively. Is it even possible?

3. Do players (and this is not related to racism) have a duty to set an example re their behaviour on the pitch? For example, players frequently challenge the authority of the referee (although it does seem to be a bit better this season) and abuse the referee and other officials and each other. And often are not even booked or reprimanded for it.

I’m sure the police, club and press will be forensically looking at every image.

What if they find nothing?

Back