• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Goon Thread - Officially Second In A One Horse Race

It does seem a strange choice, their fans wanted "a name" and Ancelotti appeared to fit the bill, I know Arteta comes with a big reputation "in the game" but he hardly seems to have the answers to their defensive frailties as City look pretty open despite the money they have spent. He was not a player with a cabinet full of winners medals and never got a cap for Spain don't know how that will play with the bunch of egotist Woolwich have in their squad.

Aside from my obvious dislike of Arsenal and my sincere hope that this goes tits up slowly and painfully, can anyone tell me why Arteta is so highly sought after?

I'd have thought Ancelotti would have been a much better bet for them.

People who are involved in football are like distant relatives. You may not be a family per se in the sense that you don’t live amongst one another, or even look out for one another, but when you go to see your grandmother you get to much information about what these people you barely have any connection towards are doing.

People who’ve worked with Arteta must have seen things that have made them take notice. Like or hate Guardiola he’s one of the worlds most reputable managers and must have known something too to be so sure as to pick an inexperienced Arteta as his number 2 - without even working his way up through the junior coaching ranks.

I don’t believe it’s because of Arteta’s prowess as a player because his prowess is much more akin to Tim Sherwood than Zidane.

Plenty of number 2s, with much more experience than Arteta, have fallen flat - like Carlos Queiroz- but at the same time the greatest of managers had to start somewhere.

Last edited:
People who are involved in football are like distant relatives. You may not be a family per se in the sense that you don’t live amongst one another, or even look out for one another, but when you go to see your grandmother you get to much information about what these people you barely have any connection towards are doing.

People who’ve worked with Arteta must have seen things that have made them take notice. Like or hate Guardiola he’s one of the worlds most reputable managers and must have known something too to be so sure as to pick an inexperienced Arteta as his number 2 - without even working his way up through the junior coaching ranks.

I don’t believe it’s because of Arteta’s prowess as a player because his prowess is much more akin to Tim Sherwood than Zidane.

Plenty of number 2s, with much more experience than Arteta, have fallen flat - like Carlos Queiroz- but at the same time the greatest of managers had to start somewhere.

assistant at Porto

Fair points. I guess my point is that this fella is unproven. Even if he is knowledgeable and even if he's the best assistant manager in the world, it's nowhere near a guarantee of success. Like you say, plenty have fallen flat on their face which is why most managers start out at levels lower than Arsenal. In that context, I don't get why Arsenal want him so badly. Particularly when they can ill afford another mistake. Look at United, they're on their 4th manager in 6 years and will be on their 5th soon. Arteta could prolong the drift after Wenger and Arsenal's position is more tenuous than United's because they can't spend as much and I'd imagine they're at serious risk of losing their 1-2 top class players already.

Ancelotti, on the other hand, brings a lot of experience and almost a guarantee that they'd be challenging top 4.

This is a massive risk for those c**ts and I really hope it blows up in their faces.

Ancelotti is a short term appointment, Arteta could be a long term solution. While that could make Ancelotti a good choice to turn things around and appease the masses, it just delays the decision if they want a manager with long-term plan. In some ways a Ancelotti is the easy option you'd expect Kroenke to take.

Ancelotti is a short term appointment, Arteta could be a long term solution. While that could make Ancelotti a good choice to turn things around and appease the masses, it just delays the decision if they want a manager with long-term plan. In some ways a Ancelotti is the easy option you'd expect Kroenke to take.

What's long term these days though? 3-5 years. Not that much different from a "short term" appointment like Ancelotti.

Arsenal have an interesting approach to new managers.

The once had great success with Arsene Wenger: Arsenal.

Now they are hoping on Mikel Arteta: Arteta. No other manager came close. Ancelotti
Ci4geoUVEAAhzBh.jpg

If Arteta doesn't hit the ground running, I can see it going very badly indeed. Could genuinely be relegation potential. No one has a clue what his head coach chops are.

He has no experience managing an entire group on his own, nor the pressure and expectation of a totally disgruntled fanbase. He's only coached in cushy positions, as far as I'm aware.

I really hope it goes tits up.

I remember arteta when he was up here and he always struck me as a decent guy, very intense and studious.
He will be a good manager, but I don't see it happening for him there.
They should have got ancelotti to steady the shop for 18 months and then targeted arteta.

Robbie is meant to be earning a decent living off of it. The problem is that the more incendiary film will get shared wider, viewed more and earn him more money.
Have you seen his cars !!
He is making wedge !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I honestly think AFTV is making their club a toxic proposition for players and managers alike.

They (AFTV) are in a sweet spot where the management basically appeases them whenever they complain (Sack Wenger? Absolutely! Spend 150 million to back Emery? Absolutely! Sack Emery? Absolutely! Give it Freddie till the end of the season? Absolutely!). In a way, they get whatever they want, because they're somehow perceived by Arsenal's management as the 'voice' of the club.

The problem is, they're also a bunch of utterly entitled, know-nothing dingdongheads who give supporters' demands and needs in general a bad name. And every time they've demanded something, the outcome has gotten worse and worse and worse for Arsenal. Which suits AFTV, because they make huge amounts of money from all of us tuning in and laughing at the scum's many misfortunes.

It just doesn't suit the actual club they claim to support.

The football world notices that sort of thing these days - players are on social media, clubs monitor social media, managers probably have agents who parse through social media.

And I think they're reaching a nadir, now, where prominent footballers and managers (including possibly Ancelotti) factor their online and offline toxicity into whether they actually go there.

Xhaka flipping them off won't be the last. And maybe Ancelotti decided he'd rather go to a club that would be grateful to have him there (as Everton would be) as opposed to shouting about wanting him dead and gone ('I'M TIRED ROBBIE BLUD') whenever he dares to lose a game.

I think AFTV is a symptom of their fanbase rather than the cause of discontent

Back