• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Eric Dier

He was pretty good today.

Still remain unconvinced in the long term.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Fapatalk

Seems to be on a good/bad game alternating run.

May really be just match fitness to come, but agree, an area we should be able to upgrade on (in first 11)

I have watched the game again and really didn't see a man of the match performance from Dier, certainly not as good as the days when he was played alongside Dembele. Wolves passed through our midfield with wave after wave of attack and Traore's directness was only stopped by cynical fouls. Last ditch defending and a lack of clinical finishing by wolves saved us. Plus we didn't progress the ball well enough in midfield.

I stil think we need to upgrade the midfield two and put Dier back in defence. Hopefully this area is treated as a priority in the next transfer windows.

I only saw match of the day but in the analysis they showed how both him and Sissoko were putting the defenders into trouble by playing it back to them so often when they had space to move into - showed complete lack of awareness really. Loads of times they could have passed back then moved into space to receive it again but just passed it back to Sanchez and stood there giving the CB's no passing option so Wolves would get a turnover.

I only saw match of the day but in the analysis they showed how both him and Sissoko were putting the defenders into trouble by playing it back to them so often when they had space to move into - showed complete lack of awareness really. Loads of times they could have passed back then moved into space to receive it again but just passed it back to Sanchez and stood there giving the CB's no passing option so Wolves would get a turnover.
This doesn't surprise me.

He's looking fitter. Needs to work on his play with the ball, also needs someone other than Sissoko with him in there.

Completely. You need balance in any pairing, whether at CB, CM or in attack. Dier and Sissoko dont bring that balance at all - I think it needs to be either/or. Mourinho's hand has been forced recently as for 2-3 games Winks and Ndombele were injured, and Winks is now only just back. Personally I think Ndombele is our best CM, and actually you could pair him with any of SIssoko, Winks or Dier though he'd take on a different role depending on who is alongside him

Completely. You need balance in any pairing, whether at CB, CM or in attack. Dier and Sissoko dont bring that balance at all - I think it needs to be either/or. Mourinho's hand has been forced recently as for 2-3 games Winks and Ndombele were injured, and Winks is now only just back. Personally I think Ndombele is our best CM, and actually you could pair him with any of SIssoko, Winks or Dier though he'd take on a different role depending on who is alongside him
To me with the players we have it’s
Sissoko or Dier
And
Winks or Ndombele
A trade marked destroyer with a passer
The reality is that needs players genuinely match fit (these little injuries will really hurt progress with Ndom and winks)

Also, Dier could have EASILY intercepted Jiminez before their goal, if he'd only bothered to move his fat ass! He just casually strolled back, and only upped his pace a little bit when it was already too late. Shocking!
He remains the weakest link in our team, by miles, but is being played by default.

Also, Dier could have EASILY intercepted Jiminez before their goal, if he'd only bothered to move his fat ass! He just casually strolled back, and only upped his pace a little bit when it was already too late. Shocking!
He remains the weakest link in our team, by miles, but is being played by default.
You saying he should have taken him out??

Thought he was very good yesterday, particularly positionally - he was basically where you want him to be at all times.

The partnership with Sissoko just doesnt work, and I think a lot of the backwards passing and inviting of pressure was because of that.

Put him with someone more press resistant and progressive and Wolves arent quite so bold in their pushing up IMO - and then Dier gets to play some passes too...

Thought he was very good yesterday, particularly positionally - he was basically where you want him to be at all times.

The partnership with Sissoko just doesnt work, and I think a lot of the backwards passing and inviting of pressure was because of that.

Put him with someone more press resistant and progressive and Wolves arent quite so bold in their pushing up IMO - and then Dier gets to play some passes too...
Agree

but both did their job yesterday in what was a great win

the balance clearly isn’t there with those two

Agree

but both did their job yesterday in what was a great win

the balance clearly isn’t there with those two

Yeah Im not trying to pick on Sissoko. Obviously Im no fan of his but my point was more he and Dier just arent a complimentary pair.

And I think the lack of guile between them, the lack of progression or ability to control the ball is what cost us in our performance as Jenas rightly points out.

IMO - put someone like Winks/NDombele (if he is ever up to speed) with Dier and not only does the midfield look better but so does Dier individually given he has better options around him.

Yeah Im not trying to pick on Sissoko. Obviously Im no fan of his but my point was more he and Dier just arent a complimentary pair.

And I think the lack of guile between them, the lack of progression or ability to control the ball is what cost us in our performance as Jenas rightly points out.

IMO - put someone like Winks/NDombele (if he is ever up to speed) with Dier and not only does the midfield look better but so does Dier individually given he has better options around him.

Real issue is probably none of Winks, Dier, Sissoko should be first choice midfielders for us, do a job, fill a role, etc but not first choice for a team with ambition at top level.

Fact is most of us would swap Wolves midfield pair from yesterday for any of the above trio

Real issue is probably none of Winks, Dier, Sissoko should be first choice midfielders for us, do a job, fill a role, etc but not first choice for a team with ambition at top level.

Fact is most of us would swap Wolves midfield pair from yesterday for any of the above trio

I think when you look at the quality of the team the midfield is the easiest part to upgrade upon, but thats not to say I think a Dier/Winks or Dier/NDombele midfield isnt good enough for a top team.

I think when you look at the quality of the team the midfield is the easiest part to upgrade upon, but thats not to say I think a Dier/Winks or Dier/NDombele midfield isnt good enough for a top team.

Agreed re upgrade, to me the only one who has shown flashes of being that level is N'dombele.

But to your earlier point, don't think collectively they make good pairings or complement each other well

Agreed re upgrade, to me the only one who has shown flashes of being that level is N'dombele.

But to your earlier point, don't think collectively they make good pairings or complement each other well

In a set up like we have, I think Dier/Winks could work very nicely. Im disappointed we havent been able to see more of them together.

And I see no reason why Dier/NDombele shouldnt work, once NDombele is up to speed.

On one hand you have a pair that can sit deep and compact, on the other you have a pair where one can be pure DM while the other has more freedom to effect the game.

Horses for courses....

In a set up like we have, I think Dier/Winks could work very nicely. Im disappointed we havent been able to see more of them together.

And I see no reason why Dier/NDombele shouldnt work, once NDombele is up to speed.

On one hand you have a pair that can sit deep and compact, on the other you have a pair where one can be pure DM while the other has more freedom to effect the game.

Horses for courses....

sounds tossy but dier and winks IMO could work
And also Ndom and Sissoko work too
None are perfect but it takes time to create that pair
I’ve been really impressed with McTominay and Fred for United lately as they seem to balance well together and that’s key

Back