• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics (so long and thanks for all the fish)

It appears from the outside that Corbyn is sticking around so that he (or at least, Momentum with him as their puppet) can shape who the next party leader is. Anyone else getting destroyed to that level would have been gone by the time I had my first coffee this morning.

You can hear it in a lot of the interviews too - Labour politicians trying to convince us that Corbyn's policies were all really, really popular, it was just that pesky Brexit that did for them. Never mind the fact that Labour votes tanked in plenty of Remain constituencies too. All very 1984.

Most unpopular leader ever was he not? or second to some over goon.

He was a terrible leader, dreadful and his little cult who would not admit that there were issues with him are complicit in his and their parties downfall.

Johnson's gamble pays off but challenges lie ahead

Laura Kuenssberg
Political editor

The same prime minister. But a new map.

A victory bigger than the Tories, haunted by 2017, had dreamt of. As the hours ticked by, red flipped to blue, familiar faces forced out of their seats.

Boris Johnson gambled that he could win an election with support from towns and communities where voting Conservative might almost have seemed a sin.

And he won.

The Conservatives' majority will have an almost immediate effect on the country - unless something strange happens we will leave the European Union next month - because behind him on the green benches will be new Tory MPs who will vote through his Brexit bill, his position strong enough to subdue any opposition.

There may be years of arguments about the nature of the long-term relationship but we will no longer be part of the bloc we've been entwined in for four decades. But Brexit, at least part one - to use his slogan - will be done.

Beyond that, the final tally, the scale of the Tories' majority may shape Mr Johnson's ability to reform.

He'll face different opponents - that much is clear.

Jeremy Corbyn's departure is certain, only the timing to be decided, but Labour's future direction is already the subject of bitter dispute. The loss a mixture - a lack of leadership, and the party's torture over Brexit.

But accounting for the defeat and making a plan for change is likely to involve months of recrimination.

The Lib Dems have suffered disappointment too - losing their own leader, along with the DUP's Nigel Dodds being ousted. This election has also seen a massive change in the political cast.

But there's nothing straightforward about what faces Mr Johnson, even with the kind of majority this country hasn't seen for years.

There are wide differences between town and city, Scotland and England, the political generations too.

The public has just granted Mr Johnson an immense amount of political power.

Given what's ahead it's a currency he will need to spend, and spend well

Makes no odds. If 3/4 voted for Remain parties in the popular vote (as you wrote previously), technically that makes Brexit undemocratic. It might not matter, but there it is.
52% to 48% to Remain parties if you're very generous and count Labour as Remain.

In reality they were neutral, so (of the votes for a party that expressed a view either way) it was 71% - 29% Leave.

I don't get your argument, here are the results from yesterday, I have divided them into leave and remain depending upon the party, the majority voted for a party that ran a leave campaign

Party and leader Seats Share Leave Remain
Conservative Party 364 43.60% 13,941,200
Labour Party 203 32.20% 10,292,054
Scottish National Party 48 3.90% 1,242,372
Liberal Democrats 11 11.50% 3,675,342
DUP 8 0.80% 244,128
Sinn Féin 7 0.60% 181,853
Plaid Cymru 4 0.50% 153,265
Green Party 1 2.70% 864,743
Brexit Party 0 2% 642,303
UK Independence Party 0 0.10% 22,817
Other parties 3 2.10% 700,440

Total votes leave/remain 24,898,374 7,062,143

EDIT: Sorry that didn't come out like I posted, in amongst that jumble of figures it says that 24.9 million people voted for a leave party and 7 million voted for a remain party.

Was my point. Galeforce was saying 3/4 of people voted for remain parties. Which seems a little high to me.

Yeah voters in deprived electorates with brick services and third rate health care, senior services and education thinking that after ten years, suddenly the Tories are going to change tack and improve their lives. Yeah, I have enormous difficulty getting my head around that. Clearly you have more imagination than me.

Yet they voted for Boris ahead of Jezza, they would rather this than have him and his shadow cabinet run the country.

Let that sink in....

People would rather be poorer than have Labour in it's current form near number 10.

As predicted the blame game has already started, its not the polices or the man - its the nasty media

The elephant in the room is that Johnson is incompetent. It will almost be worth it to watch the ensuing brick show and the underling mobilizing to replace him when it all goes south. Best wishes to all those in manufacturing jobs for the future in a post Brexit world.

Yet they voted for Boris ahead of Jezza, they would rather this than have him and his shadow cabinet run the country.

Let that sink in....

People would rather be poorer than have Labour in it's current form near number 10.

As predicted the blame game has already started, its not the polices or the man - its the nasty media

As I posted earlier in the week, there was a surge in the under educated to the Tories. Fear and division has always been an easier sell than hope and solidarity. Having a brickload of right wing media smearing your opponent goes a long way too. Always has done.

It appears from the outside that Corbyn is sticking around so that he (or at least, Momentum with him as their puppet) can shape who the next party leader is. Anyone else getting destroyed to that level would have been gone by the time I had my first coffee this morning.

You can hear it in a lot of the interviews too - Labour politicians trying to convince us that Corbyn's policies were all really, really popular, it was just that pesky Brexit that did for them. Never mind the fact that Labour votes tanked in plenty of Remain constituencies too. All very 1984.

I certainly hope not, instead of doubling down they should take the opportunity for reform themselves and come back stronger and actually electable.

Code for a pale shadow of the extreme right conservative.

No code at all. Not that youd believe it. I voted Tory, by the way, if only because the thought of you all rabid frothing at the gills about socks and facists was far to hard to resist.

Corbyn took over leadership in 2015 after the wrong Milliband.

Since when he has gone up against Cameron, then May, then Boris.

The Conservatives becoming more and more extreme - IMO to match what Corbyn was offering on the left.

Put it this way - no Corbyn, a more centrist leader - and I dont believe you have the ERG running amok like they are now.

So no, no "code". More a belief that a proper Labour leader in opposition to the Conservatives will bring everything nearer the centre again.

You are clinging on with your finger nails there.

Ultimately Brexit is no going to happen, too many years after the original referendum but alas its going to happen.

You can ignore that all you like but Corbyn did that and he ultimately died a death yesterday.

Good luck to you sir, this is very much now over.

Brexit is done? Remember when you laid a bet it would be "done" in the autumn? Did you make that £10 contribution to the kids hospice? https://www.noahsarkhospice.org.uk/tottenham-hotspur-partnership/ In a similar vein Brexit is not even nearly "done" now. The working class might have just been sold it as such - done like a ready meal. The truth is more nuanced. Post withdrawal agreement we will get an EU trade agreement that people will look at and think - why are we bothering? What are the advantages of this? The ERG types will lament that it is not 'Brexit' as we'll still follow a lot of Europe's rules (but without the control or input), and those who wanted to remain (the majority of the populace now) will ask why too.

No one will win. Least of all our economy. Which affects everyone. We will be served up a lukewarm cottage pie that tastes like shyte and satisfies one person - Boris as he can say I did serve it up as promised! Biggest farce of our time. I'm ready with the popcorn.

Last edited:
Brexit is done? Remember when you laid a bet it would be "done" in the autumn? Did you make that £10 contribution to the kids hospice? https://www.noahsarkhospice.org.uk/tottenham-hotspur-partnership/ In a similar vein Brexit is not even nearly "done" now. The working class might have just been sold it as such - done like a ready meal. The truth is more nuanced. Post withdrawal agreement we will get an EU trade agreement that people will look at and think - why are we bothering? What are the advantages of this? The ERG types will lament that it is not 'Brexit' as we'll still follow a lot of Europe's rules (but without the control or input), and the those who wanted to remain (the majority of the populace now) will ask why we are bothering too.

Which means no one will win. Least of all our economy. Which affects everyone. We will be served up a lukewarm savers cottage pie that tastes like shyte and satisfies no one. Biggest farce of our time. I'm ready with the popcorn.

No I did not but as you reminded me I will

As for the rest zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Not surprised at all about the outcome, i had high hopes when Corbyn got the Labour leadership but he has been a disaster. Thank GHod we have a majority once again in the commons and we can get Brexit done and then they can get back to repairing the country again.

ALL the commons members have been a disgrace with what has been happening since the Brexit vote and deserve all the slagging they got.

Back