• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Daniel Levy - Chairman

Of course they're taking personal risks. Every single (realisable) penny of value in the club belongs to them. Every day they hold onto the club they are risking (against a hopeful increase in value) that value dwindling away into nothing.

And they absolutely do have the right to asset strip - as all owners of all businesses do. If there were more value in doing that than running a going concern then they absolutely should consider it.

Risking what was (for them) a very small initial investment. Obviously an amount that would be very significant for the rest of us.

And I 100% know that the latter would be your opinion on it. I didn't say that they can't technically do it, in fact I said that they could. It would just be something that 99.9% of our fanbase would rightly think to be a dingdong move.

Honestly, and I mean this in the most respectful way possible, I do sometimes wonder what led you to football and particularly Spurs in the first place. There is literally nothing objectively logical about spending the amount of time or money that most of us do on the sport and certainly nothing logical about following Spurs as opposed to a Man Utd or Real Madrid.

To then have that passion for the club and in the same breath, talk so dispassionately about the owners asset stripping your club, is just incredibly strange to me. I can't reconcile the two viewpoints at all.

Risking what was (for them) a very small initial investment. Obviously an amount that would be very significant for the rest of us.

And I 400% know that the latter would be your opinion on it. I didn't say that they can't technically do it, in fact I said that they could. It would just be something that 99.9% of our fanbase would rightly think to be a dingdong move.

Honestly, and I mean this in the most respectful way possible, I do sometimes wonder what led you to football and particularly Spurs in the first place. There is literally nothing objectively logical about spending the amount of time or money that most of us do on the sport and certainly nothing logical about following Spurs as opposed to a Man Utd or Real Madrid.

To then have that passion for the club and in the same breath, talk so dispassionately about the owners asset stripping your club, is just incredibly strange to me. I can't reconcile the two viewpoints at all.

It would make amusing reading, all the admiring posts on here afterwards though (well within their rights, might have missed out on a few mill there, best show of greed ever, bit more time for the gardening now, etc.) :D

Of course they're taking personal risks. Every single (realisable) penny of value in the club belongs to them. Every day they hold onto the club they are risking (against a hopeful increase in value) that value dwindling away into nothing.

And they absolutely do have the right to asset strip - as all owners of all businesses do. If there were more value in doing that than running a going concern then they absolutely should consider it.

Steady on, I've still got my 100 shares thank you very much...

Their initial investment looks small, tiny even, viewed in the present day context. I very much doubt it would have appeared that way - to anybody - at the time it was made.

Where did the Liverpool numbers come from as their investment was debt pay off and acquiring the club. That’s about it as far as I’ve read and their fans are very proud of that

Uniteds owners haven’t put a penny in and mortgaged the club again I’ll question that as it’s pretty common knowledge
I guess they are questions for Swiss ramble but the data is from 2008...

Their initial investment looks small, tiny even, viewed in the present day context. I very much doubt it would have appeared that way - to anybody - at the time it was made.

I'm talking about compared to their own financial situation, as opposed to football investments in general. I know they split it between themselves to some extent with Lewis paying more so perhaps it was a bigger risk for Levy, I don't know his net worth at the time.

But their initial outlay was £25 million, a drop in the ocean for a billionaire.

Sugar paid £8 million I believe, roughly 10 years earlier.

Which is irrelevant as we are discussing managerial performance. Under our current manager, it is an outlier.

What happened to 'its the managers fault if the players don't perform'?
And the collapse against West ham or Bournemouth, horrific start against olympiakos, are they just pesky details.

Basing your opinion on a clear outlier is not the way to convince people to take you seriously.
If you are looking at recent results it's far more likely that Saturday was an outlier. To interpret through stats alone omits certain qualitative patterns. For example in each of the previous league games we conceded two league goals but managed to outscore our opponents. Perhaps on Wednesday the results finally caught up with our inability to defend properly. Just saying...

And I 400% know that the latter would be your opinion on it. I didn't say that they can't technically do it, in fact I said that they could. It would just be something that 99.9% of our fanbase would rightly think to be a dingdong move.

That risk of asset stripping is there for any club - the alternative is for it to be run by people with no clue as to how a large business should be operated. I'll take the vanishingly small risk that the club is more valuable as assets than as a going concern over a club run by a charity, or worse, its fans.

What happened to 'its the managers fault if the players don't perform'?
And the collapse against West ham or Bournemouth, horrific start against olympiakos, are they just pesky details.
They're all results that ended well - ended, IMO far better than they would have done a couple of months ago. New managers can't turn players around fully overnight, but Mourinho is good enough and smart enough to see what he can do and get us winning again.

If you are looking at recent results it's far more likely that Saturday was an outlier. To interpret through stats alone omits certain qualitative patterns. For example in each of the previous league games we conceded two league goals but managed to outscore our opponents. Perhaps on Wednesday the results finally caught up with our inability to defend properly. Just saying...
You can't use one trend to try and legitimise another. In 4 out of 5 matches we've scored 3 or more goals and won. The one occasion where we didn't, we lost. That points very much to the loss being an outlier.

That's true - they weren't able to buy absolutely everything, but it's a tiny proportion isn't it?

Yeah I didn't mean it entirely seriously. I'm not sure of the precise figure but I think they own at least 95%, probably higher. I'll have to check what the accounts say (or can anybody save me the bother?).

Very old data that doesn’t factor in FSG
Yes, I wanted it to be indicative of the amount of ownership investment we’ve had and how much more almost every club has had, including the massive doping City and Chelsea have received. Liverpool I think are reasonably self sufficient so I don’t have an issue with them, or the Goons in this regard.

That risk of asset stripping is there for any club - the alternative is for it to be run by people with no clue as to how a large business should be operated. I'll take the vanishingly small risk that the club is more valuable as assets than as a going concern over a club run by a charity, or worse, its fans.

the only owners who gift money to a club are either fans like Jack Walker (look what happened after they got sold) or owners who look to sportwash a small portion of their massive fortunes.
What Emirates Marketing Project have done is like buying a small shop and selling iPhones for half their retail price, so they can boast how they can sell more phones than their profitable neighbours.
I’m not sure why anyone expects Levy to put in his own money and he certainly doesn’t work for free either but that is his right. I think Ashley has put a bit of cash into a Saudi Sportswashing Machine before he realised just what scales were involved!
I do wish we’d taken a couple of more risks on the market when we were doing well and found a way to buy players during the stadium redevelopment to keep the squad fresh but even then it might have been a question of bodies rather than ability given the signings we’d made in the last couple of windows up until that point.

the only owners who gift money to a club are either fans like Jack Walker (look what happened after they got sold) or owners who look to sportwash a small portion of their massive fortunes.
What Emirates Marketing Project have done is like buying a small shop and selling iPhones for half their retail price, so they can boast how they can sell more phones than their profitable neighbours.
I have no interest in our club being part of some kind of oil money, dingdong swinging contest.

Back