• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT Tottenham vs Burnley (also some spare tickets)

Man of the match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Thought we were very very good yesterday from the off. Was impressed with Kane, Son, Moura and Toby. Most of the others did well.

But Dier, Aurier, Sanchez and Gazza were weak links and better teams would have punished their mistakes. Aurier was particularly disappointing after some decent performances. He kept diving in unnecessarily. Dier gave some balls away in dangerous positions and was lucky to get away with it. He did some good things too to be fair.

But these are the margins between being winners and being glorious failures. While yesterday was much better, even allowing for a very poor Burnley performance, we are still carrying some passengers.

And yet I were heartened by both Sanchez and Dier performances. Opinions and all that..

Some good clearances by Sanchez and Dier looked a lot more mobile than in his previous recent showings..

Jose has probably told Sanchez that he's, his John Terry (the footballer) and, has also told Dier, that he tried to buy him for squillions when at ManUre..

Plenty room for improvement no doubt but I do see both of them as important pieces to Jose's plans..

And yet I were heartened by both Sanchez and Dier performances. Opinions and all that..

Some good clearances by Sanchez and Dier looked a lot more mobile than in his previous recent showings..

Jose has probably told Sanchez that he's, his John Terry (the footballer) and, has also told Dier, that he tried to buy him for squillions when at ManUre..

Plenty room for improvement no doubt but I do see both of them as important pieces to Jose's plans..

Dier did some good things but he gave a couple of balls away in bad positions. Better teams punish that. One of them first half led to a good Burnley chance and it was a particularly weak giveaway.

On the Rodriguez chance (I think), Sanchez showed no awareness where he was and let the striker get across him. Better strikers punish that.

Gazza came for a couple of balls and looked at sea. These are the negatives from a very good performance but ignore the warning signs and you get punished against the better teams.

I did also notice a lot of booting the ball to safety. Jose obviously has the defence back to basics which is fine by me for the moment.

Dier did some good things but he gave a couple of balls away in bad positions. Better teams punish that. One of them first half led to a good Burnley chance and it was a particularly weak giveaway.

On the Rodriguez chance (I think), Sanchez showed no awareness where he was and let the striker get across him. Better strikers punish that.

Gazza came for a couple of balls and looked at sea. These are the negatives from a very good performance but ignore the warning signs and you get punished against the better teams.

I did also notice a lot of booting the ball to safety. Jose obviously has the defence back to basics which is fine by me for the moment.

We're never going to get perfection and as I said, plenty room for improvement..

Agreed - the booting to safety has definitely increased and so it should whilst we're leaking cheap goals ...

Being an old bloke I suppose I have a different view to many fans, I want Spurs to win but I'm far happier when I go to games like your last two home fixtures and see good attacking football from both sides rather than some of those games where we've have dominate possession and win by the odd goal. TV and their pundits take all the joy out of the game with analysis of virtually every incident in the game and now every armchair "fan" apes them with criticism of team and players rather than just sit back and enjoy the game, it's suppose to be entertainment, if I want to see perfection I'd buy a Swiss watch and look at the mechanism.

Being an old bloke I suppose I have a different view to many fans, I want Spurs to win but I'm far happier when I go to games like your last two home fixtures and see good attacking football from both sides rather than some of those games where we've have dominate possession and win by the odd goal. TV and their pundits take all the joy out of the game with analysis of virtually every incident in the game and now every armchair "fan" apes them with criticism of team and players rather than just sit back and enjoy the game, it's suppose to be entertainment, if I want to see perfection I'd buy a Swiss watch and look at the mechanism.

Football manager and the likes have a lot to answer for.

Only thing missing was Lennon coming on and getting a goal for them. Predicted 5-1 with Lennon scoring the 1. Would have been fitting him getting on in the new stadium.

Fair point. The counter argument I'd offer though is that we will get beat by Pool or City or lose a semi final and it'll be a rash Aurier challenge, a bad pass by Dier or a mistake by Sanchez and people will be on here slating them. And then you get people saying
opinions are extreme and inconsistent because one minute they're great players and the next theyre getting slated. Fact is, all three were lucky Burnley were so bad on Saturday.

It's not perfection people are looking for. No player delivers that. But you want as few unforced errors, particularly in dangerous positions, as possible in your team because you don't get away with it against top teams and you become a lot more prone to them under serious pressure.

Fair point. The counter argument I'd offer though is that we will get beat by Pool or City or lose a semi final and it'll be a rash Aurier challenge, a bad pass by Dier or a mistake by Sanchez and people will be on here slating them. And then you get people saying
opinions are extreme and inconsistent because one minute they're great players and the next theyre getting slated. Fact is, all three were lucky Burnley were so bad on Saturday.

It's not perfection people are looking for. No player delivers that. But you want as few unforced errors, particularly in dangerous positions, as possible in your team because you don't get away with it against top teams and you become a lot more prone to them under serious pressure.

There you've proved my point, "Burnley were so bad" implies our performance wasn't that good and if, could have, should have and maybe happened in the game things may have been different, but that's the whole point in playing any game or sport, the chance that each match will be non-indentical with a different outcome, to me that's where the excitement comes in, winning ever week 3-0 may be some people's idea of a great time but that just provides a product for glory hunters with low self esteem who need to bath in the reflected glory of "their team".

Football manager and the likes have a lot to answer for.

giphy.gif

Mourinho mentioned in the pre match press conference he was staying at the ground that night so in the morning he could get up early and work on preparing for the team briefing.

Getting the right video clips etc to show Burnleys strengths and weaknesses.

I thought the game demonstrated this approach perfectly.

Mourinho gets framed as a coach who negates the other team, as though its a bad thing. However, seemed to me, the team knew exactly how to hurt Burnley, how to shut them down, and how to defend against them too.

This was, IMO, one of those games not where Burnley were bad - but where we made them that way thanks to our play.

Burnley are a good team. Particularly defensively. Even on a bad day.

We put 5 past them. And it was not a freak thing, not against the run of play, it was deliberate and calculated.

Of course theres room for improvement, we ended up allowing them some decent chances, and a spell in the game where they got hold of the ball more etc - but the team is very much a work in progress, and I think progress is evident.

And this is what you get when Mourinho negates the opposition. Doesnt really strike me as a negative point against him.

And is precisely why he is so damn good in knock out games.

This was the gamble and performance JM expected at United. Why we didn’t perform like this at OT is a mystery to me. The aggressiveness and intensive pressing was there from start on Saturday, can anyone explain why we weren’t similarly up for it at OT?

There you've proved my point, "Burnley were so bad" implies our performance wasn't that good and if, could have, should have and maybe happened in the game things may have been different, but that's the whole point in playing any game or sport, the chance that each match will be non-indentical with a different outcome, to me that's where the excitement comes in, winning ever week 3-0 may be some people's idea of a great time but that just provides a product for glory hunters with low self esteem who need to bath in the reflected glory of "their team".

I've explicitly said our performance was very very good. But Burnley were poor. They're a team built on being solid and they were anything but. Kane had the freedom of the pitch for the first one. Sonny waltzed through them for the third. Good play by us but bad play by them. There is no getting away from that.

They had an absolute sitter where Rodriguez heads wide. Will Firmino do that? Will Aguero? Will Suarez?

Jose will be looking at some of that and asking questions of our players and that's how we'll improve.

When we beat Palace plenty here got themselves a bit over excited about our return to form, though for me it was always the case Palace just didnt show up, they were genuinely poor, and we did what any half competent team would do.

I wouldnt say the same of Burnley. Looked to me much more like they just couldnt handle us. We were defending the areas they like to play, and playing in the areas they dont like to defend. The brisk start did wonders for the tone of the game, but IMHO it was a case of us being set up properly tactically to win the game from the off.

Which isnt to say we were perfect, we werent. This is a team Mourinho has had minimal time to train, and so its very much a work in progress - BUT, IMO, progress is certainly being made.

I've explicitly said our performance was very very good. But Burnley were poor. They're a team built on being solid and they were anything but. Kane had the freedom of the pitch for the first one. Sonny waltzed through them for the third. Good play by us but bad play by them. There is no getting away from that.

They had an absolute sitter where Rodriguez heads wide. Will Firmino do that? Will Aguero? Will Suarez?

Jose will be looking at some of that and asking questions of our players and that's how we'll improve.
I’ve seen Aguero miss, and Suarez miss and firmino miss... os the answers yes they may

Ans what about Sanchez’s block on roridguez header which was class

I’ve seen Aguero miss, and Suarez miss and firmino miss... os the answers yes they may

Ans what about Sanchez’s block on roridguez header which was class

The chances of those players missing is a lot less.

You are correct on the Sanchez block, it was outstanding. I guess my point is that if I had to do the old Brendan Rodgers "names in envelopes" nonsense, at this moment, it'd be Sanchez, Aurier, Gazza and Dier who would be going into the envelopes and Saturday did nothing to allay those fears. Dier and Sanchez, I actually have hope for but I think Aurier and Gazzaniga will always be an accident waiting to happen.

The chances of those players missing is a lot less.

You are correct on the Sanchez block, it was outstanding. I guess my point is that if I had to do the old Brendan Rodgers "names in envelopes" nonsense, at this moment, it'd be Sanchez, Aurier, Gazza and Dier who would be going into the envelopes and Saturday did nothing to allay those fears. Dier and Sanchez, I actually have hope for but I think Aurier and Gazzaniga will always be an accident waiting to happen.

all fair comments
I can’t agree more on Aurier and Gaza will never be a first choice as both have a rick in them
The amount of goals that have come from Dier mistakes historically is very very small and I’ve raised that before. I thought and have seen improvement in all the basics with Sanchez but he will never be a Decent passer

Good to get a comfortable win for once ! We played well and won convincingly. To get a clean sheet makes it more satisfying ! But we do need to improve our defending as Burnley could have scored 2 or 3 goals. We also could have scored more goals if we had been more clinical in front of goal. This is the kind of performance and result need for the rest of the season if we want to finish in top 4 this season.

Credit to Kane, Moura, Son and Sissoko for the goals. All were well-taken goals except for Moura's tap-in goal. Great to see Kane scoring the long range goal after so long. It has been a long time since Kane scored like that. It shows Kane can get back his old form under Mourinho. Kane's second goal was brilliant as well. Apart from his 2 goals, Kane also did well to assist the goal for Sissoko. It was a world class individual goal by Son for our crucial 3rd goal. It was amazing the way he dribbled past 6 Burnley players but the way he scored past the goalie was more satisfying since Son normally wastes those one-on-one chances. Alli wasted a one-on-one chance in the first half but he did get 2 assists.

Our midfield had a decent match. We played well in patches but need to improve further. Great to see Sissoko scoring the goal the way he did. Sissoko was also unlucky when his shot hit the post in the first half. He has now scored 2 goals in our last 2 home matches. It is clear Sissoko's finishing is fast improving under Mourinho. But this match shows we still need a top quality defensive midfielder to protect our defence. Dier had a decent match but made too many mistakes as well.

Great to see our defence keeping the clean sheet. But our defence didn't really look convincing. Burnley could have scored at least 2 goals if they had been more clinical. I think we could have been punished against more stronger teams. Mourinho needs to improve our defending fast for our coming matches. Gazzaniga didn't really tested by Burnley but he should be more alert all the time.

We have now scored 16 goals in 5 matches under Mourinho. We have also conceded 8 goals during that time. It was great to keep the clean sheet against Burnley. But we still need to improve our defending if want to compete against bigger teams. Hopefully Mourinho will get us defend better for the coming matches.

Back