• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Daniel Levy - Chairman

Perhaps not. I don't know what was or wasn't said behind closed doors, but we can only go on what he did say publicly afterwards. He'd repeatedly said the approach had to change, and it either didn't, or it didn't change quickly enough for him.
Did he?
What did he say?
I remember the be brave statement when we didn’t buy anyone but gave him, dele and Kane new mega contracts. Which I’d argue is being brave

Alli was signed beforehand, suggested by Pleat iirc.
I won't claim to have any kind of I wider knowledge as to who suggested we sign him, but Dele was signed the January after Poch was already our Coach/manager.

With committee type scenarios you have to give the manager all credit and blame for signings or attribute them all to the committee, you can't pick and choose which signings we want the manager to get the credit or blame for.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Fapatalk

I think common sense would suggest he was working with a hand tied behind his back with regards to transfers due to financial constraints so it's hard to be too damning of his record in the market, whether he had the final say on deals or not.

Personally i think it was mad to ditch the DoF set up

agree on DoF

and the “one hand tied behind his back”, but he knew that when he took the job, knowing the hand would never be untied, the same agreement Jose has made, that is the Spurs job, do more with less, and sign superstars before anyone else realises that’s what they are

after we moved from a DoF, the “transfer committee” didn’t work hard enough to identify suitable prospects and the coaching team didn’t work hard enough to bring other players on beyond the first eleven

I won't claim to have any kind of I wider knowledge as to who suggested we sign him, but Dele was signed the January after Poch was already our Coach/manager.

With committee type scenarios you have to give the manager all credit and blame for signings or attribute them all to the committee, you can't pick and choose which signings we want the manager to get the credit or blame for.

To clarify, actual signature yes, but the work began a long time before that and it was Pleat that made the running for/with Levy.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....-and-how-dele-alli-really-signed-for-the-club

also, this is 2019, of course I can, alternative facts innit

Did he?
What did he say?
I remember the be brave statement when we didn’t buy anyone but gave him, dele and Kane new mega contracts. Which I’d argue is being brave

There were lots of quotes around the time we moved back to WHL. Stuff about starting a new chapter, needing to start acting differently, behaving like a big club, etc.

Dele, Moura, Aurier, Dier, Sanchez, Son and Sissoko (ew) not including this season's obvious signings were not all here before Poch arrived.

It does seem clear that Poch did not have final say, he was on the committee but Levy welds ultimate power there and Poch did make it known that he was the coach and not the manager so he has a great deal of mitigating circumstance.

Neither were Alderweireld or Davies.

We did just break our transfer Record twice this summer
For sure Levy did back Poch this summer, just not his fault he was unable to make much use of those big-money arrivals anymore than has Jose.

Let's not forget that in previous windows Poch regularly acknowledged the stadium project meant money was tight and he therefore needed to work mostly with what he'd already got.

agree on DoF

and the “one hand tied behind his back”, but he knew that when he took the job, knowing the hand would never be untied, the same agreement Jose has made, that is the Spurs job, do more with less, and sign superstars before anyone else realises that’s what they are

after we moved from a DoF, the “transfer committee” didn’t work hard enough to identify suitable prospects and the coaching team didn’t work hard enough to bring other players on beyond the first eleven

Once the money from the stadium starts getting banked and our turnover matches the teams around us we will be more competitive in the market, this will be what everyone has been working towards the past 10 years or more and im sure is what Pochettino was hoping to benefit from having spent 5 years scraping the bargain basement. It's almost certainly going to be what Mourinho will be expecting/has been told

We haven't done well with identifying talent though these past few years, regardless of who is to blame

Regarding Alii, Paul Mitchell was scouting him for Southampton whilst Poch was there so im sure he would have been aware/supportive of any deal

Once the money from the stadium starts getting banked and our turnover matches the teams around us we will be more competitive in the market, this will be what everyone has been working towards the past 10 years or more and im sure is what Pochettino was hoping to benefit from having spent 5 years scraping the bargain basement. It's almost certainly going to be what Mourinho will be expecting/has been told

We haven't done well with identifying talent though these past few years, regardless of who is to blame

True, but Levy will always keep the spend within our means, so we’ll never fight pound for pound financially, whoever the manager is they have to “overachieve” in general perception.

True, but Levy will always keep the spend within our means, so we’ll never fight pound for pound financially, whoever the manager is they have to “overachieve” in general perception.

Levy keeps wages (where we have struggled in the past) at the "safe" level, with our income going up considerably I expect our spend/wages will as well.

The fact that we are so well run fiscally will allow us to compete with those who are willing to put their club at financial risk because we seem a bit more efficient.

That speech he gave this summer after he signed the dross?
Just checking because as a manager (Which his title was changed too) he had full accountability for sign off on signings. He was part of that committee, hence why we signed all the targets that were rumoured to be his this summer.
Let’s not start some revisionism here... Poch is IMO the best manager I’ve seen in my adult life here and an amazing coach. His record in the transfer market though was and is poor, but you can counter that with the value of sales generated from the development he gave players to increase value

When did he get all those signings? All before pre-season began? No. It was the same old story. As for “transfer market record” lets be fair, he and Mitchell both wanted Mane and Winaldjum but DL wouldn’t pay their wage requests was the word.

When did he get all those signings? All before pre-season began? No. It was the same old story. As for “transfer market record” lets be fair, he and Mitchell both wanted Mane and Winaldjum but DL wouldn’t pay their wage requests was the word.
Agree we wanted Mane but he wanted higher wages than our best players and arguably he wasn’t proven at the time
Dont remember us wanting Wilnaldum to comment

Last edited:
Back