• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** The Official Boxing/UFC/MMA thread ***

So what to make of Ruiz's weight? Hard to see it as a positive for him, or why it might have been intentional/strategy. Is he about to become the new Buster Douglas...?

So what to make of Ruiz's weight? Hard to see it as a positive for him, or why it might have been intentional/strategy. Is he about to become the new Buster Douglas...?
I've not seen him fight all that much, but what I have seen is him throwing out flurries of high speed, off balance punches. Not the technique I'd choose but having a lot of inertia probably helps.

He knows he'll never beat Joshua for speed or agility so why not solidify what he does have?

No not a positive. Could argue its padding to carry the hits but can't be good. More interesting is Joshuas loss of a stone! What to make of that? He took some punches last time and the muscle bulk no doubt helped him ride it.

I think Joshua reappraised himself after the loss and decided he didn't feel comfortable - himself - fighting at that weight. Must be a conscious decision to try and be more agile, to be able to move better and box more freely imo.

I've not seen him fight all that much, but what I have seen is him throwing out flurries of high speed, off balance punches. Not the technique I'd choose but having a lot of inertia probably helps.

He knows he'll never beat Joshua for speed or agility so why not solidify what he does have?

I hope you're right, that there's some kind of calculated intention behind it rather than being the result of inadequate preparation.

North of a stone is a significant gain, and on the surface there might be a worrying parallel to Douglas ballooning up in weight for his first defence after he beat Tyson. Ruiz speed was what troubled Joshua the first time, so my concern would be the extra weight slowing him down and negating his main advantage. All that said, I'm not aware of his historical fighting weights, I'm only going on his weight for the first fight so I'm not certain whether this is particularly heavy for him or not.

Not long to wait to find out.

I hope you're right, that there's some kind of calculated intention behind it rather than being the result of inadequate preparation.

North of a stone is a significant gain, and on the surface there might be a worrying parallel to Douglas ballooning up in weight for his first defence after he beat Tyson. Ruiz speed was what troubled Joshua the first time, so my concern would be the extra weight slowing him down and negating his main advantage. All that said, I'm not aware of his historical fighting weights, I'm only going on his weight for the first fight so I'm not certain whether this is particularly heavy for him or not.

Not long to wait to find out.
This is the heaviest he's been in a long time IIRC.

When we talk about Ruiz's speed we're not talking about agility, it's more a tactical aspect of his fighting. Anyone can throw punches at the pace he does (in short bursts), most choose not to because of how vulnerable it makes them. I don't think the weight will change anything other than giving him more inertia to hold the body still whilst he chucks a load of punches out.

At least I hope he and his team are being clever in order to make this a good contest.

This is the heaviest he's been in a long time IIRC.

When we talk about Ruiz's speed we're not talking about agility, it's more a tactical aspect of his fighting. Anyone can throw punches at the pace he does (in short bursts), most choose not to because of how vulnerable it makes them. I don't think the weight will change anything other than giving him more inertia to hold the body still whilst he chucks a load of punches out.

At least I hope he and his team are being clever in order to make this a good contest.

But his agility/mobility are also very good for someone of his weight/shape, it's not just his hand speed. There will surely be a point at which those will become affected by additional weight.

I'm actually not too concerned as long it's intentional (though I'd still have some scepticism towards it), my main worry when I heard the weight was that it might be overconfidence. In fairness to him (and as I think Carl Froch said) he really didn't look 20 stone on the scales - I actually wondered if it might have been a mistake at first. Then again, he didn't take his top off... :D

Bit of a dull one. Want Jushua to unload, but he's doing what he should have first time - using his reach and lots of little jabs.

Back