• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

***OMT Tottenham vs Man U***

Man of the match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
TBF we haven’t played a side with genuine quality player down that side
No one played amazingly well for United other than Rashford. Their team were very functional and letting Rashford do his stuff

Man U were clearly set them up to target our weaknesses, with Rashford most of the time employed as a false #9 by playing mostly out on our weaker right flank..

From the kick-off, McTominay, Fred, James, Lingard, Greenwood, swarmed around our players hunting the ball down until they tired on the half hour mark, which then allowed us to get a foothold back into the game ..Our players are way to passive, all to often wanting to play the game at their own pace, not recognising that the opponent is unwillingly to play the game on our terms.

Man U were even taking an unusual amount of low long range shots, targeting Gazza's weakness and yet when this were clearly apparent, our players were still not rushing out to close their player down...

For our opponents, it's no longer a case of parking the bus and hoping to get something on the counter. The way to play Spurs, is out there for all to see.. It's about getting in our faces and disrupting our comfort zone...

3rd best squad in the division, I don't think so...

I think the penalty was due to Aurier completely switching off at a throw in and allowing Rashford 10 yards of space to get the ball under control and run at him, Rashford went on to glide round him at full tilt, then Aurier’s baby-sitter had to try and tidy up the dangerous situation, he couldn’t! The initial and most serious error in the sequence was Aurier’s though and it was so avoidable, that’s the annoying thing.

Depends on how far back you want to go to apportion blame, as the throw in was near the half way line should Moura have been the first line of defence, who conceded the throw in, etc...

Bottom line is Sissoko gave away the penalty, and there was enough time between Aurier being mugged and Sissoko being a mug for the blame to be laid at Sissokos door.

I think the details and the basics are the same thing in professional sport

Cant do everything at once.

New ideas, new shape, new attitude and tactics, and little time to bed it in - really means you focus on the basics and work the details over time.

If Jose had a pre season I think it would be different, but right now Id say the reality of our situation is its a work in progress over time and we need to focus on getting the basics bed in before we worry about the finer points.

Depends on how far back you want to go to apportion blame, as the throw in was near the half way line should Moura have been the first line of defence, who conceded the throw in, etc...

Bottom line is Sissoko gave away the penalty, and there was enough time between Aurier being mugged and Sissoko being a mug for the blame to be laid at Sissokos door.
It was probably less than 5 seconds from the throw in to the penalty being given, it’s not far to go back. If Aurier does his job then Rashford is nowhere near the penalty area and the balls most likely still on the halfway line.

This isn’t some sort of blinkered defence of Sissoko that we always see on here, I thought he was terrible yesterday and one of the main reasons for our poor performance with the ball, but in this instance we was just trying to tidy up.

Man U were clearly set them up to target our weaknesses, with Rashford most of the time employed as a false #9 by playing mostly out on our weaker right flank..

From the kick-off, McTominay, Fred, James, Lingard, Greenwood, swarmed around our players hunting the ball down until they tired on the half hour mark, which then allowed us to get a foothold back into the game ..Our players are way to passive, all to often wanting to play the game at their own pace, not recognising that the opponent is unwillingly to play the game on our terms.

Man U were even taking an unusual amount of low long range shots, targeting Gazza's weakness and yet when this were clearly apparent, our players were still not rushing out to close their player down...

For our opponents, it's no longer a case of parking the bus and hoping to get something on the counter. The way to play Spurs, is out there for all to see.. It's about getting in our faces and disrupting our comfort zone...

3rd best squad in the division, I don't think so...
All fair comments
To be honest I hardly noticed James and Greenwood as they weren’t offering much a threat. Their plan seems to be as you say... everyone work hard and feed Rashford who is on fire. It’s not a rocket science tactic and one we should have been able to adapt too and address
Maybe we really did under estimate them which is weak mentally if so

Where did the gaols come from in this games???

crosses form our right

it’s scary that the constant issue is “midfield” in some people’s eyes but it’s still basics defending of our right hand side that’s the problem

I’d strongly suggest people look at where the goals we conceded actually come from, not just where we may concede shots. We have all seen us have 30 shots a game and not score as they were poor quality shots. The shots and chances people get down our right invariably lead to high quality chances and goals as we have seen twice vs Olympiakos, way Ham, Bournemouth and now United.
It is too simplistic to lay all the blame at Aurier's feer. Goals usually come about due to multiple mistakes

I don't disagree we have a problem on our right but the second Bournemouth goal came from a player unmarked in the centre, Wilson I think (albeit from a cross from the right after Sissoko was beaten). The first Wham goal came from a cross but Antonio in the centre had time to feint then shoot. Their second goal came from a set piece I believe. The first Olympiakos goal came about after the guy walked in unchallenged from the left hand side.

Easy to blame it all on Aurier, but we need to remember he has also had some very good defensive displays. There is no doubt at times he is a liability but the midfielders including Dier and Sissoko are hardly covering themselves in glory either.

Last edited:
Maybe last night was just what the doctor ordered?
A swift kick up the arse and a wake up call from thinking ‘we must be ok we won three on the bounce’.
It was always going to happen and we all knew “the bounce” was ebbing!

It's been happening so often the doctor has a bad leg with all the arse kicking he's been doing.
This squad have packed it in, they've bought the hype and moved on. I don't think they have it in them to come back.
Dele, son and Harry are good, judgement is out on the summer signings and the rest aren't good enough for where claim we want to be.
Jose can't turn pigs ears into silk purses.
This lot do not have the sphericals.

Cant do everything at once.

New ideas, new shape, new attitude and tactics, and little time to bed it in - really means you focus on the basics and work the details over time.

If Jose had a pre season I think it would be different, but right now Id say the reality of our situation is its a work in progress over time and we need to focus on getting the basics bed in before we worry about the finer points.

WhirlwindOldfashionedBergerpicard-size_restricted.gif

All fair comments
To be honest I hardly noticed James and Greenwood as they weren’t offering much a threat. Their plan seems to be as you say... everyone work hard and feed Rashford who is on fire. It’s not a rocket science tactic and one we should have been able to adapt too and address
Maybe we really did under estimate them which is weak mentally if so

I think the players underestimated the intensity offered by Utd, and didnt adapt quickly enough.

Ultimately I suspect Jose will unleash a bit on them to help them understand the effort required, and hope its then no longer an issue.

The game, from Utds stand point, was a basic as it gets. And despite our poor showing they only really won thanks to two mistakes on our part. I really dont think they were particularly good and am really just over all disappointed we didnt show up and win - because IMHO the game was there to be won.

Fingers crossed this is a bit of a wake up call to the team, and an opportunity for Mourinho to really start pushing them.

It is too simplistic to lay all the blame at Aurier's feer. Goals usually come about due to multiple mistakes

I don't disagree we have a problem on our right but the second Bournemouth goal came from a player unmarked in the centre, Wilson I think (albeit from a cross from the right after Sissoko was beaten). The first Wham goal came from a cross but Antonio in the centre had time to feint then shoot. Their second goal came from a set piece I believe. The first Olympiakos goal came about after the guy walked in unchallenged from the left hand side.

Easy to blame it all on Aurier, but we need to remember he has also had some very good defensive displays. There is no doubt at times he is a liability but the midfielders including Dier and Sissoko are hardly covering themselves in glory either.
Not said it’s Aurier
I’ve said it’s the right hand side

400%
It’s almost like he set us up to fail
Or possibly the players didn’t follow his instructions ...
Watching at home I was sat there thinking he could have made some dramatic changes quite easily in bringing on rose for Aurier and literally shifting the defence one place over

I think we're likely to see more of Sissoko in AMR. Can still help Aurier and leaves 2 spaces in CM for Dier/Winks/Ndom.

Either that or back to the 433 - Moura to miss out for an additioanl CM.

View attachment 7797
This shows exactly how much cover Sissoko had to offer Aurier
Winks would only be more exposed if he was naked
The scary thing is that despite Sissoko, Sanchez and Moura all to some extent moved closer to Aurier to cover we still were as open as we were.

If you hadn't watched the game, just saw that, and knew a thing or two about both teams you might have thought that James must have had a great time up against an isolated Vertonghen. The thing is, Vertonghen can actually defend. Aurier looks like a player that has never had to face an opponent that's quicker than him, and he's nowhere near quick enough to play like that.

The scary thing is that despite Sissoko, Sanchez and Moura all to some extent moved closer to Aurier to cover we still were as open as we were.

If you hadn't watched the game, just saw that, and knew a thing or two about both teams you might have thought that James must have had a great time up against an isolated Vertonghen. The thing is, Vertonghen can actually defend. Aurier looks like a player that has never had to face an opponent that's quicker than him, and he's nowhere near quick enough to play like that.

verts has a comfortable game

I do wonder about Dier. Not having a lot of games in his legs, coming back from injury and illness. The fourth game, an high intensity one at that, might have been a bridge too far. So Mourinho was left with few options for players next to Winks and on the right.

Wanyama out, Lamela out, Ndombele looking short on physical fitness, Eriksen unhappy and soon gone. Lo Celso could have been an option, but would have been a massive game to give him his first start under Mourinho.

I also think we shouldn't underestimate the impact that first goal had. Could have been a very different game I think.

View attachment 7797
This shows exactly how much cover Sissoko had to offer Aurier
Winks would only be more exposed if he was naked

Poor performance all round last night with exception of the Dele moment. Watching on TV it was clear early on that the balance in midfield was not right with Sissoko performing his auxiliary right back role leaving Winks to deal with anything coming through the middle. At times the gaping hole between Winks and the 4 players in front of him was massive as not surprisingly he was sitting deeper to give more time to cover the 3 Man U midfielders with little help from other Spurs players.

But this is not a new problem and most of us on here have been saying for some while that a Winks-Sissoko central midfield just does not work. It can be argued that our downturn in form last season, particularly away from home, coincided with the introduction of the Winks-Sissoko partnership. Also our better performances against West Ham also were when we had Dier and Winks or Eriksen and Winks as our Central midfield 2. When Sissoko was introduced late in the Olympiakos game and when starting the Bournemouth game it was a wide right attacking midfielder not as part of the midfield 2.

I am not one of the Sissoko haters on here but he just makes the whole midfield unbalanced when playing in a 2 which is exacerbated when Aurier is playing at RB and the 2 of them spend most of the time occupying the same space leaving us short elsewhere. I was hoping this was something we had seen the last of after the departure of Poch and can't believe that Mourinho won't have noticed this when both watching Spurs previously and last night. Will be interesting to see the changes he makes for Burnley on Saturday.

Poor performance all round last night with exception of the Dele moment. Watching on TV it was clear early on that the balance in midfield was not right with Sissoko performing his auxiliary right back role leaving Winks to deal with anything coming through the middle. At times the gaping hole between Winks and the 4 players in front of him was massive as not surprisingly he was sitting deeper to give more time to cover the 3 Man U midfielders with little help from other Spurs players.

But this is not a new problem and most of us on here have been saying for some while that a Winks-Sissoko central midfield just does not work. It can be argued that our downturn in form last season, particularly away from home, coincided with the introduction of the Winks-Sissoko partnership. Also our better performances against West Ham also were when we had Dier and Winks or Eriksen and Winks as our Central midfield 2. When Sissoko was introduced late in the Olympiakos game and when starting the Bournemouth game it was a wide right attacking midfielder not as part of the midfield 2.

I am not one of the Sissoko haters on here but he just makes the whole midfield unbalanced when playing in a 2 which is exacerbated when Aurier is playing at RB and the 2 of them spend most of the time occupying the same space leaving us short elsewhere. I was hoping this was something we had seen the last of after the departure of Poch and can't believe that Mourinho won't have noticed this when both watching Spurs previously and last night. Will be interesting to see the changes he makes for Burnley on Saturday.
Mou had to play him after Saturday
Question is should he have played moura... who was very poor

Mou had to play him after Saturday
Question is should he have played moura... who was very poor
He scored a goal but he did not have to play him and certainly not in the CM berth that he "occupied". The goal was scored playing as a AMR so to then change the system and play him in an area that does not suit his attributes at all was foolish.

I'll take the pain and frustration of yesterday if Mou uses it as a learning experience and we never see that setup again.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Fapatalk

He scored a goal but he did not have to play him and certainly not in the CM berth that he "occupied". The goal was scored playing as a AMR so to then change the system and play him in an area that does not suit his attributes at all was foolish.

I'll take the pain and frustration of yesterday if Mou uses it as a learning experience and we never see that setup again.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Fapatalk

i wouldn’t have played him CM myself either
But I’ll say it a hundred times today im sure... the issue is our RB cannot defend and their main goal and attacking threat plays on their left
Easy option was play an attacking LB and Foyth RB

Back