• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Eric Dier

I believe Jose will be keeping a close eye on the likes of Erik giving them all every chance to prove themselves before the January window.

Honest question: is Dier physically finished now?
I'm not sure i've seen him be fully effective in the DCM role since he stopped playing alongside either Dembele or Wanyama, so i'm not sure we can say his recent ineffective dcm performances can be totally blamed on the illness/surgery over the last year or so...
Dier ran the most of anyone on the pitch so not sure he isn’t fine physically
What we need is to stick with a CM pairing

Physically I think he is off the pace, due to extended time out, and its a bit early to judge if he is finished or not.

Theres every chance that with regular games he gets much better physically.
It wasn't any physical aspects that worried me. It wasn't even his (standard) poor passing that worried me, I have got so used to that I am now pleasantly surprised when he passes the ball to one our own players. What worried me was his positioning, I couldn't believe how many times he was the wrong side of the ball when Bournemouth attacked. Worse still, even when finding himself the wrong side of the ball, he was just casually jogging back.

He is quite clearly the weakest player in our team at the moment and needs to be the very first one that we upgrade.

His body shape seems a bit bulky, like he's been doing weights. He is now shaped like a 200m or 400m runner rather than a rangy steeple-chaser.
Kane also seems quite bulky, which can go too far in terms of optimal body shape for a sport like football.

I'm definitely seeing more issues in how we defend in wide areas than in the centre of the pitch. Think Dier has done alright all things considered, not that long ago he looked completely lost.

We know how good he was at his best, if Mourinho keeps trusting him to get back to that I think we should show patience too.

Again, Eric Dier starts a MouMou match and we win. Further match fitness achieved, no goals conceded (in fairness manbunboy missed a sitter) and for me, it has a LOT to do with Dier.

Right now, he is not a fan favourite, simply because he does not seem to tick the boxes people want to see in a modern footballer, plus due to the sheer level of his involvement in a game, he does misplace a couple of passes per game right now (none of which lead to goals BTW). But his overall work is so so important for the team. Thankfully, MouMou knows.

Again, Eric Dier starts a MouMou match and we win. Further match fitness achieved, no goals conceded (in fairness manbunboy missed a sitter) and for me, it has a LOT to do with Dier.

Right now, he is not a fan favourite, simply because he does not seem to tick the boxes people want to see in a modern footballer, plus due to the sheer level of his involvement in a game, he does misplace a couple of passes per game right now (none of which lead to goals BTW). But his overall work is so so important for the team. Thankfully, MouMou knows.

He was my man of the match.

Mate with all due respect that is a very patronising post. I’d argue the real reason that Dier hasn’t been a fan favourite recently is because he hasn’t been in good form for at least a year, arguably a couple of years. (Partly for reasons out of his control of course I.e. injury and illness). Indeed, speaking personally, he was perhaps my favourite player in 15/16, but he hasn’t been a favourite of mine more recently because it’s been a very long time since he’s been in that kind of form IMO.

Your assertion that it’s ‘simply’ because of not ticking boxes and misplacing passes due to sheer volume is patronising and, I would argue, untrue (e.g. 79% pass completion against Burnley).

Anyway let’s hope he can continue this improved form, because actually I think a large majority of people think an in-form Dier is a real asset to us.

Mate with all due respect that is a very patronising post. I’d argue the real reason that Dier hasn’t been a fan favourite recently is because he hasn’t been in good form for at least a year, arguably a couple of years. (Partly for reasons out of his control of course I.e. injury and illness). Indeed, speaking personally, he was perhaps my favourite player in 15/16, but he hasn’t been a favourite of mine more recently because it’s been a very long time since he’s been in that kind of form IMO.

Your assertion that it’s ‘simply’ because of not ticking boxes and misplacing passes due to sheer volume is patronising and, I would argue, untrue (e.g. 79% pass completion against Burnley).

Anyway let’s hope he can continue this improved form, because actually I think a large majority of people think an in-form Dier is a real asset to us.

Look at the volume of passes he made compared to the rest of the team - only TA/JV/DS made more passes and only the same 3 players had more touches

So his whilst it’s 79% his actual pass completion was high

Could not agree more, he is getting his fitness back and improving every game. He is a very important player for us and i am glad that Jose can see that as well.

Look at the volume of passes he made compared to the rest of the team - only TA/JV/DS made more passes and only the same 3 players had more touches

So his whilst it’s 79% his actual pass completion was high
He's also the one required to do all the passing for the midfield. That means he'll have more passes under pressure and be required to be more adventurous.

Dier is an interesting one. Against Burnley he was absolutely key because of his ability to compete with Wood, but I'm not convinced that against a team that play like Man UTD he'd have been anymore effective than those that played. I'd still rather see a starting lineup with him in it than without, I just think that his position will be used situationally and he may be used less once we have a valid alternative.

Back