• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Thank You

Disappointed that there has been nothing in either of the last 2 Spurs home programmes thanking Poch and his staff for their time here

Is it just me, or does it sound like he's admitting to a loss of motivation here? Could explain some things...

"There are a lot of clubs and attractive projects for me to take on. But, for the time being, the most important thing is for me to clear my head after five-and-a-half incredible seasons with Tottenham.

My aim is to seek the ability to rebuild myself and get my self-motivation back. It is my intention to return to manage in Europe. It is hard for me to imagine a project in Argentina. However for the sake of my family, I would not refuse to work over here.

But now I need to be calm for a few days and see what happens. I haven't had a lot of time to digest what has happened with me. My first decision was to come back to Argentina, return to my home and see family and friends. But I expect to return to Europe to make decisions on my future.

My best decision was to come to Argentina to switch off for ten days. At my age I don't need a lot of time to recover. I am open to listen to projects put before me."

As Ive said all along, I think he burned out - got caught up in his own head and dropped the ball.

It sounds very much like things went sour. Not so much in a "the players hated him" way, but rather a "He just lost his magic" way and then things get tough, stressed, down...

I think the response in the players this last week, and some of the comments coming out, also back this up.

It was simply time to part and move on.

Is it just me, or does it sound like he's admitting to a loss of motivation here? Could explain some things...

"There are a lot of clubs and attractive projects for me to take on. But, for the time being, the most important thing is for me to clear my head after five-and-a-half incredible seasons with Tottenham.

My aim is to seek the ability to rebuild myself and get my self-motivation back. It is my intention to return to manage in Europe. It is hard for me to imagine a project in Argentina. However for the sake of my family, I would not refuse to work over here.

But now I need to be calm for a few days and see what happens. I haven't had a lot of time to digest what has happened with me. My first decision was to come back to Argentina, return to my home and see family and friends. But I expect to return to Europe to make decisions on my future.

My best decision was to come to Argentina to switch off for ten days. At my age I don't need a lot of time to recover. I am open to listen to projects put before me."

Sounds like he's saying to the Arsenal and Man Utd board:

giphy.gif

:p

Joking - no, i agree with you and @nayimfromthehalfwayline

A few people saying he didn’t get a pay off, but is essentially on gardening leave for the rest of his contract.

Is that true?

A few people saying he didn’t get a pay off, but is essentially on gardening leave for the rest of his contract.

Is that true?

It would be the sensible thing to do rather than paying out the full contract immediately.

As Ive said all along, I think he burned out - got caught up in his own head and dropped the ball.

It sounds very much like things went sour. Not so much in a "the players hated him" way, but rather a "He just lost his magic" way and then things get tough, stressed, down...

I think the response in the players this last week, and some of the comments coming out, also back this up.

It was simply time to part and move on.
Spot on imo.

I thought it fairly standard that he is entitled to be paid for his full contract but that a new job would remove or reduced what Spurs would have to pay. The intent is he doesn't lose money. So he could take a lower paying job in Argentina and Spurs would effectively top up his salary.

That Telegraph article seems contradictory.

Contrary to a report over the weekend, Pochettino would not have to pay back £12.5million in compensation, if he took another Premier League job before the end of the season.

Instead, it is understood Pochettino would have to give up the money he was still due if he accepted a job at another club and that club would have to pay compensation to Tottenham if they managed to strike an agreement with Levy.

Whether or not Levy would even be prepared to negotiate with Arsenal or United during the season is not certain and Tottenham refuse to discuss the contracts of any of their past or present employees.

It is unclear how long past the end of the season Spurs could still be entitled to compensation, but it was striking that in the statement confirming Pochettino’s departure, the club said he and his coaching staff had been ‘relieved of their duties’.

Pochettino, who does not have an agent, had three-and-a-half years remaining on his £8.5m-a-year contract and has travelled back to Argentina, where he visited his former club Newell’s Old Boys.

Seems a bit bizarre that Levy has a say. Perhaps that is in exchange for being paid for one and a half years up front, although why would Poch agree to that? I assume he is not short of money and would want full control on his future choices.

The Times says he is technically an employee on gardening leave, which would explain why Levy would have a say, but contradicts the The Telegraph about a lump some payment. Given I think it extremely unlikely Levy or Poch have spoken to reporters, I suppose they are both guessing.

Mauricio Pochettino: I’m open to offers now

Pochettino was not technically sacked by Tottenham and is effectively on gardening leave — a move that would allow Spurs to receive compensation from another club employing him. He is being paid monthly and has 3½ years left on a contract worth £8.5 million a year.

During his break from the game, he has visited Newell’s Old Boys, his former club in Argentina.

“For the time being, the most important thing is for me to clear my head after 5½ incredible seasons with Tottenham,” Pochettino said. “My aim is to rebuild myself and get my self-motivation back. But now I need to be calm for a few days and see what happens. I haven’t had a lot of time to digest what has happened with me.

“My best decision was to come to Argentina to switch off for ten days. It is hard for me to imagine a project in Argentina. However, for the sake of my family, I would not refuse to work over here. My first decision was to come back to Argentina, return to my home and see family and friends. But I expect to return to Europe to make decisions on my future.”

I thought it fairly standard that he is entitled to be paid for his full contract but that a new job would remove or reduced what Spurs would have to pay. The intent is he doesn't lose money. So he could take a lower paying job in Argentina and Spurs would effectively top up his salary.

That Telegraph article seems contradictory.

Seems a bit bizarre that Levy has a say. Perhaps that is in exchange for being paid for one and a half years up front, although why would Poch agree to that? I assume he is not short of money and would want full control on his future choices.

The Times says he is technically an employee on gardening leave, which would explain why Levy would have a say, but contradicts the The Telegraph about a lump some payment. Given I think it extremely unlikely Levy or Poch have spoken to reporters, I suppose they are both guessing.

Mauricio Pochettino: I’m open to offers now
Unless the terms are ‘a lump sum or gardening leave will be payable, if you don’t take a new domestic job but you can keep it if you go abroad’?
Then he is open to offers from ‘Europe’ but like a few other people doesn’t consider the UK to be part of it...

Last edited:
It's a lovely position isn't it? Guaranteed millions upon millions of pounds.
Can ensure his extended family and friends and old sports clubs in Murphy get a nice bit of bunce.
About to get another very highly paid job with a guarantee of millions upon millions of pounds, even if he fails.

Beautiful.

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/1212822/Man-Utd-news-players-think-Ed-Woodward-appoint-Mauricio-Pochettino-Ole-Gunnar-Solskjaer

Man Utd players think Ed Woodward will agree Mauricio Pochettino deal to replace Solskjaer

Mauricio Pochettino is reportedly after the Manchester United job just over two weeks after being sacked by Tottenham.
By RYAN TAYLOR
PUBLISHED: 08:24, Wed, Dec 4, 2019 | UPDATED: 09:22, Wed, Dec 4, 2019

Manchester United players are already talking about Mauricio Pochettino taking over at Manchester United, with reports claiming that some members of the squad believe he will replace Ole Gunnar Solskjaer next summer. Pochettino is now eyeing a return to management after being sacked by Tottenham two weeks ago.

Tonight, he will watch his former side go up against United at Old Trafford, and the game could impact the future of Solskjaer, who is under increasing pressure.

Defeat against Spurs will see them fall even further behind the pack in the race for a top four finish, meaning Champions League football may have to wait another year.

If come the end of the season that is the case, Solskjaer’s first full season as United boss will surely be considered a failure if he fails to deliver a trophy.

That could leave the Manchester United hierarchy with a decision to make, all the while Pochettino is lurking in the background.

According to The Independent, the Argentine is already making his move on United after declaring he is keen on returning to an “attractive project” in Europe.

Old Trafford chiefs are aware that Pochettino is flirting with the job and the report claims that the players at the club are already talking about it.

A few of the squad already believe that a deal could be set up for Pochettino to take charge of United next summer.

At the moment, this method of appointment is currently the best way of getting him on board.

Giving Pochettino their word would prevent him from saying yes to other clubs who have already come calling, including Arsenal and Bayern Munich.

The former Spurs boss has spent ten days in his native Argentina visiting family and friends as a detox after losing his job.

Speaking to Fox Sports Argentina earlier this week, Pochettino teased that he is ready to return to the dug-out.

“There are a lot of clubs and attractive projects for me to take on,” he said.

“For the time being, the most important thing is for me to clear my head after five-and-a-half incredible seasons with Tottenham.

“My aim is to seek the ability to rebuild myself and get my self-motivation back.

“I expect to return to Europe to make decisions on my future. At my age I don't need a lot of time to recover.

“I am open to listen to projects put before me.”

Express Sport understands that Daniel Levy has inserted a clause in Pochettino’s compensation package which means he will have to repay his £12.5million P45 fee, if he wants to manage another Premier League club before the summer.

Back