• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jose Mourinho - SACKED

I see little point in comparing what Poch did/didn’t do V Jose will/may do.
Both are top quality coaches in different stages of their careers.
We’re fortunate IMO that we will have these two back to back! Let’s look forward to the future and be equally grateful in the platform Poch has built. I still love that guy!

Great post. The stuff I'm a bit uncomfortable with, for example, was when Jose hooked Dier last night and people started making jokes at Poch's expense as if he was hopeless during a game. That's not right and it's unfair.

If you take the Liverpool game at Anfield last year or the year before, as just a couple of examples, we were getting mauled and Poch made changes, not personnel changes, that turned the game in our favour. That was his way. By his own admission, he didn't feel hauling a player off after 30 mins was good for anyone and could do more damage than good. I don't necessarily agree but there is a logic to that and that was how Poch did things. He did bloody well at Tottenham so I've got to accept that he knew what he was doing.

Jose has balls of steel and doesn't think twice about hauling a player off. It finds favour with fans and it's a very blunt instrument but it worked last night and has worked many times for him. That's Jose's way. He's had enough success that I can't really criticise him for it or claim I know better.

There is more than one way to skin a cat and surely we can all respect the differences between Jose and Poch without using Jose to belittle the impressive legacy that Poch has left behind.

Or into a ditch. We have beaten the bingo club and some bubbles they may well have blown. Let’s not get overexcited.

Absolutely possible. I remain true to my overall optimistic nature. I think the main point I wanted to make was that Poch built this beautiful vehicle, thus "Mauricio Pochettino - he built this - you know" ;-)

But again, I do believe Mourinho is the driver to get behind this wheel right now and cross the line. Long-term? Well, those visions left a week ago...keep yer seatbelt on!!!!!

Absolutely possible. I remain true to my overall optimistic nature. I think the main point I wanted to make was that Poch built this beautiful vehicle, thus "Mauricio Pochettino - he built this - you know" ;-)

But again, I do believe Mourinho is the driver to get behind this wheel right now and cross the line. Long-term? Well, those visions left a week ago...keep yer seatbelt on!!!!!

Sounds like Pochettino is analogous to that Ken Miles fella I just learned about when watching Le Mans ‘66 up cinema... fingers crossed that Mourinho can drive us to as much silverware as Ford enjoyed with the GT40 that Miles helped develop!

Anyone unsure about the absolute Jedi mind trick hold Jose has over the media should check the amount of articles today......about ball boys.

“the top 5 best ball boy moments ever”
“Who was the ball boy”
“When Jose was a ball boy”....

Jose feeds them a biscuit and the poor saps absolute sit up and roll over at his command.

Maybe with the implication that Jose isn't is 'one of the most highly regarded coaches in world football'.

How do you measure "highly regarded"?

On trophies? Guess we don't need to go there...
On media coverage? We had to deny access to 50 reporters for his first press conference
On the calibre of previous teams coached? Again, best stop digging.

Of course, if the benchmark is intransigence and opinions of supporters who were adamantly against his appointment, then you may have a point.

Our fanbase has a penchant for taking cuddly puppy type managers to their hearts in a big way. I never got the Jol 'awww' or the Poch puppy love fest. I liked both as managers and for their time at Spurs but I never wanted to give them a 'forever home'.
It’s a British thing in general - Look at the legendary Tim Henman as an example vs someone like Murray. Why players like Dele are hated in this country by everyone but us, not a mr nice guy who has that competitive edge....

It’s a British thing in general - Look at the legendary Tim Henman as an example vs someone like Murray. Why players like Dele are hated in this country by everyone but us, not a mr nice guy who has that competitive edge....

I'm talking about football!
I think its where the 'sexy' thing originates from.

That is a good point to be honest, prime example was a player who was nothing really special but seemed to have pundits and a hell of a lot of fans kneeling at the mention of his name.

Goldenballs.

Last edited:
Our fanbase has a penchant for taking cuddly puppy type managers to their hearts in a big way. I never got the Jol 'awww' or the Poch puppy love fest. I liked both as managers and for their time at Spurs but I never wanted to give them a 'forever home'.

Never really got the jol thing tbh.

Never really got the jol thing tbh.

I liked him, a lot. I warmed to him a great deal, he seemed very genuine and I believe really cared about the club.

And for a while he did some excellent work with the team and helped it develop.

And then after a while it was apparent it he was no longer improving us, and a change was needed.

Which I was absolutely fine with*, and to be honest I think there are real parallels to Pochettino in those terms as well.

*Obviously the "how" of Jol getting sacked was disgusting, and Id never approve of such. But the actual decision being made? Was right at the time IMO.

I liked him, a lot. I warmed to him a great deal, he seemed very genuine and I believe really cared about the club.

And for a while he did some excellent work with the team and helped it develop.

And then after a while it was apparent it he was no longer improving us, and a change was needed.

Which I was absolutely fine with*, and to be honest I think there are real parallels to Pochettino in those terms as well.

*Obviously the "how" of Jol getting sacked was disgusting, and Id never approve of such. But the actual decision being made? Was right at the time IMO.

Dont get me wrong, I didn’t disiike the guy and he was good for us in a growth point of view, I just never bought into the whole super nice guy thing.
Not sure why really, something didn't quite sit right with me. Maybe says more about me than him :p.
It was a terrible way he was dealt with, Levy goofed on that one.

Jose Mourinho showing his Tottenham players 'the love'
Sky Sports News reporter Gary Cotterill was at Tottenham training on Thursday
By Gary Cotterill
Last Updated: 28/11/19 2:12pm

It's two wins from two games for Jose Mourinho as Tottenham head coach. Tuesday night’s Champions League victory against Olympiakos followed the 3-2 win at West Ham on Saturday.

Nothing particularly unusual in that - apart from the fact they were Tottenham's first back-to-back wins of the season.

Couple those results with first-hand feedback from the players and there's definite evidence of new-manager bounce at the club.

There was an obvious spring in everyone's step around the state of the art training complex on Thursday, even through the snoods you could make out smiles on the players' faces.

Mourinho 'rebooted'
It began with the group huddle. The entire squad in a circle being addressed by Jose.

Then the players split into three groups: Those who started against Olympiakos on Tuesday night, the goalkeepers and the rest.
The 'rest' included Christian Eriksen, who came on for Eric Dier at the end of the first half and helped turn things around.

It was a change Mourinho knew he had to make. He knew it but regretted it, and apologised to Dier afterwards.

This is a new rebooted Jose. Showing public love to his players. Private love too. Both Dier and Eriksen looked content.

This Mourinho is using humour and encouragement to improve results and performances, not raised voices and anger.

Every player seems to feel they are included in his plans and it showed. Jose split his time equally between the groups. First watching and getting involved with the 'starters' then crossing the pitch to interact with the 'rest'.

He even ventured to a far corner of the complex to watch and help out with the 'keepers.

Break from the old routine
Reports from inside the camp suggest Jose's sessions are, at least for now, less physically intense than Mauricio Pochettino's were.

A lot of emphasis is being placed on recovery. Hence the 'starters' doing different work to the others.

There's occasional time off too. Much welcomed during a period where the games are now coming thick and fast off the back of international commitments.

Harry Kane is happy. He's been lauded as one of the best strikers in the world by Mourinho.

Dele Alli is happy. He's no longer playing like his brother.

Lucas Moura is happy. He's back in his favoured position (wide) and a big part of Mourinho's plans. Mourinho is a fan, he tried to sign him during his time at Real Madrid.

We were ushered away when the three groups came together to go through specific tactics and set-ups ahead of Bournemouth at home on Saturday.

On Sunday, it will probably be a day off, before getting back to work to prepare for the big one. Jose's return to Manchester United on Wednesday night.

Mourinho. Part of a happy band at Old Trafford. Who'd have thought it?

Dont get me wrong, I didn’t disiike the guy and he was good for us in a growth point of view, I just never bought into the whole super nice guy thing.
Not sure why really, something didn't quite sit right with me. Maybe says more about me than him :p.

He is Dutch, I tend to find them (and South Africans) can come across a little abrasive to some, though really they're just really straight forward. Maybe thats it?

Not that it matter really! I guess after what came before for many he was a real breath of fresh air and a big positive to become attached to.

On the terrible way it was dealt with, I was thinking about the fact that Poch didn't get a send off from the fans, but Jol did!
Maybe it's the way to do it? :p
No one could know before the match, because the manager could say gonad*s I'm off, so you have to do it after half time, and during the game.

He is Dutch, I tend to find them (and South Africans) can come across a little abrasive to some, though really they're just really straight forward. Maybe thats it?

Not that it matter really! I guess after what came before for many he was a real breath of fresh air and a big positive to become attached to.

I really don't know, I liked him and he did a great job, I just didn't feel the love others do.
I don't lose any sleep over it, and l'm damn sure he doesn't either.

That is a good point to be honest, prime example was a player who was nothing really special but seemed to have pundits and a hell of a lot of fans kneeling at the mention of his name.

Goldenballs.

Sorry, could not agree less re: Beckham. If anything he is underrated as a player now. He was absolutely a fantastic player. People think of his wife and his other life achievements besides football these days

Back