• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Daniel Levy - Chairman

Did you totally miss the point? it wasn't a comment on Poch. to clarify

- People talk about replacing Levy, my point is with fudging who, find one/two examples of a better chairman and maybe it would sound like anything than a spoilt child not getting what they want.

- And I addressed this, we have been to a QF/SF or Final 22 times under Levy's stewardship, I actually believe we hold the record for FA cup SF appearances without getting to final. As usual no one wants to admit BMJ, Harry & Poch should have done better on the day. And I will use last year as an example, are you going to blame Levy because Kane played instead of Moura? because the team seemed flat? because we didn't adapt and put pressure on pool earlier?

And I'll aggravate people again, but same squad, same CL final with Jose as manager, I know where I would put my money and that's why the number of cups is not all on Levy

We can't replace Levy, there maybe better chairmen out there (although I doubt it), but there's none that are better for us.

Maybe I missed your point, but it read like a totally unnecessary put down of poch.
And I'm not defending poch any more than I would defend most of our managers, except sherwood and maybe gross but that's a whole another kettle of pickled herring.

We can't replace Levy, there maybe better chairmen out there (although I doubt it), but there's none that are better for us.

Maybe I missed your point, but it read like a totally unnecessary put down of poch.
And I'm not defending poch any more than I would defend most of our managers, except sherwood and maybe gross but that's a whole another kettle of pickled herring.

Wasn't meant to be re Poch, just an example that he was a good/great manager but even so there are options people could argue on par or better. Levy to me is likely complaining you have Messi in your side but he doesn't do enough defensively, probably fudging true but the next guy isn't going to be better.

I think the thing is, the stadium is an enormous factor in this.

Pre build - we simply didnt have the finances to spend big. And this could easily explain lack of investment at times.
During build - we simply didnt have the finances to spend big. And this could easily explain lack of investment at times.
Post build - that particular constraint isnt only no longer the case, but the opposite.

We no longer have the lack of finances, or the finances going into infrastructure, but actually turning a profit for us and increasing our income.

Im not absolving Levy of errors in the past, he has made some for sure - but I also think for the most part they are understandable.

I also think the point seems to be overlooked - having achieved his magic money tree - why do people seem to expect Levy to continue being as risk averse/tight on the purse strings as he has been in the past?
Exactly this.

It's the long game...plain and simple.

Some people just can't do the journey.

But they'll lap it up when we get there.....despite all their negative bleating via the social media bile machine.

With the immediacy of today's world I think Levy's greatest achievement is having an unwavering laser focus of where he wants to get to.

Think his biggest mistake was abandonning the DoF set up these last few years - with that in place we'd have been better positioned to handle the squad transition on a shoe string that was ultimately the downfall of the last set up

Yet do you remember when we first had a DoF?

- Every asshat in the UK, the media, half our own fudging fans couldn't stop bleating about how it was a Europe thing and it will never work in the PL and how the model was SAF and Wenger

I don't think he's abandoned it, just postponed it (it really requires the right person with a particular relationship with manager). I think the stadium consumed Levy and some things got neglected as a result but there was no other alternative.

Exactly this.

It's the long game...plain and simple.

Some people just can't do the journey.

But they'll lap it up when we get there.....despite all their negative bleating via the social media bile machine.

With the immediacy of today's world I think Levy's greatest achievement is having an unwavering laser focus of where he wants to get to.

It is, he doesn't care if it takes another 5 years, he'll will get us there, quite frankly it's amazing (companies today think about fiscal quarter and single year results)

SAF, is a winner, I watched him at Aberdeen and it was obvious. But let's remember that he was one game away from the sack, it took him what 5/6 years, a ton of cash and a well developed youth academy to turn around one of the biggest clubs in the world.

This really is the tragedy of Poch, IMO.

If he could have kept up his energies, his love for it, for just a short while longer - he would have been set to benefit from all we have been working toward.

Now Mourinho, the wily old fox, knows exactly what hes doing. He is about to harvest the fruits sewn by Poch and Levy.

Its a real shame (for Poch, hopefully not Spurs, obviously).

I think its right Poch has gone, it had to happen - performance and results dictated as much. But I also think its terribly sad, and that it would have been "right" for Poch to see the job through to the other side.

We are literally on the cusp of swinging from no money available at all to actually being competitive financially (though of course still never up with the doped clubs).

My genuine belief is that that is just what Levy wanted, and the moves made this last week will have been very hard for him to do.

Im enthused with Jose, and I think Levy has done very good business there - but Im still sad for Poch, and for us missing out on that breakthrough together.

If he could have kept up his energies, his love for it, for just a short while longer - he would have been set to benefit from all we have been working toward.

Now Mourinho, the wily old fox, knows exactly what hes doing. He is about to harvest the fruits sewn by Poch and Levy.

I think its right Poch has gone, it had to happen - performance and results dictated as much. But I also think its terribly sad, and that it would have been "right" for Poch to see the job through to the other side.

We are literally on the cusp of swinging from no money available at all to actually being competitive financially (though of course still never up with the doped clubs).

My genuine belief is that that is just what Levy wanted, and the moves made this last week will have been very hard for him to do.

Im enthused with Jose, and I think Levy has done very good business there - but Im still sad for Poch, and for us missing out on that breakthrough together.
Great thoughts mate.

Poch will be okay, his stock is high. Who knows, he may even come back at some point.

Not just poch imo, quite a few of the squad have blown it by not turning up for one game, the CL final.

Eriksen, a good game not even a win and he could probably have picked his club.

Jan and Toby, at their age will they ever get that chance again.

Dele a chance to show case yourself, put the doubters in their place.

But arguably other rose they all failed to turn up.

That's not acceptable, if you need motivated to play in the biggest event in Club football there's something wrong.
Jose is a winner and I bet he will not put up with that, and where poch kept his own council on it for the most part I bet Jose wouldn't have, and IMHO he shouldn't.

Not just poch imo, quite a few of the squad have blown it by not turning up for one game, the CL final.

Eriksen, a good game not even a win and he could probably have picked his club.

Jan and Toby, at their age will they ever get that chance again.

Dele a chance to show case yourself, put the doubters in their place.

But arguably other rose they all failed to turn up.

That's not acceptable, if you need motivated to play in the biggest event in Club football there's something wrong.
Jose is a winner and I bet he will not put up with that, and where poch kept his own council on it for the most part I bet Jose wouldn't have, and IMHO he shouldn't.
Well I thought winks was exceptional that game too and MOTM in a losing side

but I agree with what your saying

our players seem to mentally crumble in the Big Crunch games

Well at least Levy didn't go for Eddie Howe:D

Hiring Jose on the face of it certainly looks ambitious, and for me the thing is that if Levy/Board does do the kind of skimping/dithering during transfer negotiations that he has a reputation for then, unlike previous coaches, Jose will not hold back and will tell the world (even just to save his own rep)...

No hiding place now for Levy imo

The first team that started a match after Levy assumed control in March 2001:

Sullivan, Young, Doherty, Scumball, Thelwell, King, Clemence, Freund, Sherwood, Booth, Ferdinand.

We lost 1-2 to Derby. Taribo West scored an own goal.

Sullivan, Young, Doherty, Scumball, Thelwell, King, Clemence, Freund, Sherwood, Booth, Ferdinand.

I remember that day. Was a great own goal by West

Poor King. So much better than that team.

Back