• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

Starting to look like it.

Which is why Levy needs to recreate those conditions for Poch or the next manager. Next time we have a good team, with the increased money from the stadium we can add one or two quality players and pay bigger wages.

I don't think it's fair to say he lucked out at all tbh as a lot of things need to come together at a football club for it to succeed and the manager is as important a part as any other (if anything it's the most important of all the individual cogs) and having a good group of players alone doesnt guarentee you anything, but certainly agree with the rest of your post - it's important the club does what it can to support the vision of whoever is in charge of the team (and equally important that they employ a person whose vision matches thiers)

How can you just selectively remove the 16/17 season to push an agenda? How can you ignore the time at Wembley? How can you discount the fact that the EPL had become exponentially more competitive?

Absolutely fudging nonsense tweet.

also by including the first season where we finish 5th and Poch is in the process of turning round the club, bombing out certain players etc...it’s just a nonsense argument.

My hunch is that there’s some truth to the Matt Law article and that it may well be curtains for Poch if we’re beaten by the Hammers.

If he goes, would personally prefer Allegri or Ancelotti to Mourinho (although I would have taken early vintage Mourinho in a heartbeat). I don’t think Rodgers would move mid season, even if we were in for him.

I don’t know what to think on Poch or his position anymore.
My sentimental side says show him loyalty, for multiple reasons that have all been referenced.
Taking emotion and empathy (Scara) out of it, I question if he can raise us back to where we were or need to be.
That’s a simplistic view in itself, because I don’t know who can either, given the constraints!
I then think back to Cloughie, who did wonders at Forest... and got them relegated. I’m not suggesting this is the case with Poch or he likes a drop of ale too much!
Anyway, I’m in a quandary.

I don’t know what to think on Poch or his position anymore.
My sentimental side says show him loyalty, for multiple reasons that have all been referenced.
Taking emotion and empathy (Scara) out of it, I question if he can raise us back to where we were or need to be.
That’s a simplistic view in itself, because I don’t know who can either, given the constraints!
I then think back to Cloughie, who did wonders at Forest... and got them relegated. I’m not suggesting this is the case with Poch or he likes a drop of ale too much!
Anyway, I’m in a quandary.

Personally, I'm finding it impossible to take a definite position on it. He's having a bad spell but there were lots of posts on here about how we wanted him to be our Fergie/Wenger and if that's the case, he's gonna have some severe bumps in the road if he's around that long. Should we turn on him because of a bad few months? You could argue it's been a bad year but we still achieved a lot last season even when form dipped.

That said, if the squad (including the likes of Kane) have turned on him it puts him in a very bad position. Yeah, it'd be nice to back the manager and screw the players but that's not really how it works when your players are so valuable and your manager isn't.

But there's a lot of supposition and unknowns in there. Have the players turned on him? Have some players simply turned on the club after years of being underpaid relative to the market (Alderweireld, Eriksen, Rose) and Poch has found himself caught in the crossfire?

I've always said that as long as Poch wants it he should have time to sort things out. I guess that's the camp I'm in. It's a bloody mess with so many variables and unknowns though.

I don't think this has anything to do with Poch. I think the players are, in a coordinated fashion, trying to say 'up-yours' to Levy for underpaying them by 40% during a short career. You gotta realise that for Eriksen, Toby, Rose, they don't wake up every morning and go to the amazing Spurs, they go to work. And having been underpaid for a while at work, I understand slacking off a bit and trying to make sure that the balance is repaid. It's not my manager's fault when that happens; I just outgrew the position. Same thing happened here. It's not Levy's fault either - he needed to get us over the stadium bump - but something had to get stretched then.

Needs a clearout and start again now - it's annoying, because our team was sweet. This feels like when we sold Bale though (another flimflam time). Then look what happened. We got stronger, better, and achieved more than we ever had before.

We need to hold the faith. We need to tolerate the distress that we currently feel. If we don't, we'll do something stupid and impulsive (like sacking poch) and have to deal with the longer term negative outcomes of that in future rather than just waiting until the summer and buying some hot new players and getting rid of the old decrepit husks we have now.

I don't think this has anything to do with Poch. I think the players are, in a coordinated fashion, trying to say 'up-yours' to Levy for underpaying them by 40% during a short career. You gotta realise that for Eriksen, Toby, Rose, they don't wake up every morning and go to the amazing Spurs, they go to work. And having been underpaid for a while at work, I understand slacking off a bit and trying to make sure that the balance is repaid. It's not my manager's fault when that happens; I just outgrew the position. Same thing happened here. It's not Levy's fault either - he needed to get us over the stadium bump - but something had to get stretched then.

Needs a clearout and start again now - it's annoying, because our team was sweet. This feels like when we sold Bale though (another flimflam time). Then look what happened. We got stronger, better, and achieved more than we ever had before.

We need to hold the faith. We need to tolerate the distress that we currently feel. If we don't, we'll do something stupid and impulsive (like sacking poch) and have to deal with the longer term negative outcomes of that in future rather than just waiting until the summer and buying some hot new players and getting rid of the old decrepit husks we have now.

Under paid... surely if they were under paid then people would have come in for them and unsettled them earlier

Brilliant post.

Add to that I know for a fact he was a cry baby who sat in his office instead of doing team meetings at the end. Awful manager and I would think it is obvious that being intelligent has no correlation with being a good football manager.
Out of our last umpteen managers he was the worst appointment IMO. I hated him almost as much as GGG (which is good going considering AVB had none of the Arsenal tarnishing).

Eriksen and Toby have both been offered considerably more money and knocked it back so that doesn't work.

Eriksen and Toby have both been offered considerably more money and knocked it back so that doesn't work.

in the case of all of the players we have had great service for what we paid and thats why I’m ambivalent about them going

Toby... was the best in the league for period but now is way way too slow unless played with Sanchez which means one has to play out of position
Jan... the most consistent one and the one I would have thought would agree terms (and sell might) but right now looks shot
Erisken... yeah he wants trophies which I get. Maybe, just maybe he should also take a look at himself and see how he performed in those games where trophies are won.

It does though, IMO. Toby wanted parity with Van Dijk, which we refused to offer given he and Poch had apparently shaken hands on £130k, and up until recently - I.E. the last 12-18 months - we’ve not been offering Eriksen market rate / Kane level wages for what was one of the most effective midfielders in Europe.

That’s quite a while to be underpaid.

It does though, IMO. Toby wanted parity with Van Dijk, which we refused to offer given he and Poch had apparently shaken hands on £130k, and up until recently - I.E. the last 12-18 months - we’ve not been offering Eriksen market rate / Kane level wages for what was one of the most effective midfielders in Europe.

they have to earn it too

their not being under paid

maybe some others are being over paid

you can’t argue I want parity with VVD... he has just won the CL, the European player of the season and has dragged his team form also rans to title certs... what have you done Toby? I’ve got a new tattoo and slick slick hair

Who is eriksens peer? Arguably de Bruyne who is comfortably better and turns up when it matters

Whoever advised Alderweireld at that time has cost him a hell of a lot of money, (10m by my reckoning if 130k is correct) and he's not likely to make that back with his next contract either. He got greedy and missed out on a huge wedge as a result, quite fitting really

There's no such thing as a market rate with player wages anyway, not when there is such a disparity in what clubs are able to pay players at the top end of the game.

Last edited:
Back