• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Spurs Manager

It would be unworkable, he'd be permanently undermined.

We have one of three positions.
  1. A blip and the players will come good.
  2. Poch has lost it.
  3. The first team needs rebuilding.
The correct action depends on the problem and it is difficult to tell from the outside.

You're right.
And I believe it is 3.

Though, honestly, Id much rather we just move on altogether and not do the whole caretaker thing in the first place, if it comes to Poch going.

Im inclined to agree but my post theorised what we may do should our disastrous form continue. If it does we could end up in a situation like this after 20 games:

17th - Spurs 16pts
18th - Watford 16pts
19th - Soton 14pts
20th - Norwich 11pts

Sadly Poch would have to go in these circumstances and with what would undoubtedly be a broken dressing room at that point, I’m not sure that the right appointment would be who we would like long term but rather someone who could lift the mood and get the players performing again with a simple message.

I think its this that Daniel is at least toying with in his head and I can see why.

It’s Poch and his team, whatever happens to him happens to them. So if / when he does go there will be a wholesale change, perhaps a token ex player added to the coaching staff to sweeten any reservations.
If we go down the Mourinho route I’d like to see someone like VdV with a meaningful role to add some stardust to our play.

I think he paused that to get back on the cake

CnwKZu.gif

Like Giggs did at United?

Has VdV got his badges and done any coaching since retiring? Last I heard, he was playing darts.
I was suggesting more as a wider part of the team, maybe more like Carrick if we need to compare to United as he has stayed on after Mourinho left.
Not sure about the badges for VdV specifically but he has said in the past if he did coach he’d want it to be here:

"I love working with young players and if I do coaching, Tottenham would be a good place because it is always in my heart”

It’s Poch and his team, whatever happens to him happens to them. So if / when he does go there will be a wholesale change, perhaps a token ex player added to the coaching staff to sweeten any reservations.
If we go down the Mourinho route I’d like to see someone like VdV with a meaningful role to add some stardust to our play.
I think that's worked approximately never

Even a good coach like hughton just ended up being resented and called clipboard

Been seeing these stories about Pochettino getting sacked next Monday if we lose at WH. Personally just cant see that happening the day before an important CL tie where we can secure qualification.

I think DL will give him a few extra matches after that. Failure to beat Bournemouth and Burnley at home, coupled wuth the annual surrender at United (which is a given) inbetween, and then I think he is gone.

The problem then changes as four more winless league matches would leave us dangerously close to the bottom 3, maybe even just in it as at 10-12-19. Then we are on the cusp of fire-fighting and for 6 months would we need a different type of manager?

Would an Allegri, Mourinho, Nagelsmann be the right man for that job. DL may have to appoint an interim Manager, a man used to getting team fighting, it would probably mean abandoning the 'Spurs way' for a while, but sometimes needs must

Im inclined to agree but my post theorised what we may do should our disastrous form continue. If it does we could end up in a situation like this after 20 games:

17th - Spurs 16pts
18th - Watford 16pts
19th - Soton 14pts
20th - Norwich 11pts

Sadly Poch would have to go in these circumstances and with what would undoubtedly be a broken dressing room at that point, I’m not sure that the right appointment would be who we would like long term but rather someone who could lift the mood and get the players performing again with a simple message.

I think its this that Daniel is at least toying with in his head and I can see why.
I think Danny would certainly panic. Mind you it might actually cause him to get his cheque book out for some players in January for once as he did for Harry when we last had a sniff of relegation about us. Question is whether it would be Poch or Redknapp spending it?

Of course that ignores the possibility that we have no money to spend. With Danny presiding over a stadium project that went WAY over budget and the club now having £650 odd million of debt. The well may be completely dry.

Last edited:
Been seeing these stories about Pochettino getting sacked next Monday if we lose at WH. Personally just cant see that happening the day before an important CL tie where we can secure qualification.

I think DL will give him a few extra matches after that. Failure to beat Bournemouth and Burnley at home, coupled wuth the annual surrender at United (which is a given) inbetween, and then I think he is gone.

The problem then changes as four more winless league matches would leave us dangerously close to the bottom 3, maybe even just in it as at 10-12-19. Then we are on the cusp of fire-fighting and for 6 months would we need a different type of manager?

Would an Allegri, Mourinho, Nagelsmann be the right man for that job. DL may have to appoint an interim Manager, a man used to getting team fighting, it would probably mean abandoning the 'Spurs way' for a while, but sometimes needs must
I think he will get to Xmas at least. At that point a new manager could come in and use the January window.

I could actually see it, if we have a replacement lined up, quite a good time to get the new manager bounce (as vs. carrying the negativity of a West Ham loss into that same CL game)

To me Levy is stuck, if you pull the trigger you need to do so with a replacement lineup (I have no doubt we have had conversations), but you also need to give the new manager enough of season to save, time to evaluate and determine needs for January window. Either you pull the trigger soon, or accept a total write off season, the problem is a write off season is supposed to be top 10 for Spurs, not below 14th. If Levy is worried, the risk/reward may force his hand.

I think he will get to Xmas at least. At that point a new manager could come in and use the January window.

For that purpose, for practicality, a little before Christmas would be ideal. Get a few weeks/games with the team before January so a new manager can actually assess things and make the most of the window.

I could actually see it, if we have a replacement lined up, quite a good time to get the new manager bounce (as vs. carrying the negativity of a West Ham loss into that same CL game)

To me Levy is stuck, if you pull the trigger you need to do so with a replacement lineup (I have no doubt we have had conversations), but you also need to give the new manager enough of season to save, time to evaluate and determine needs for January window. Either you pull the trigger soon, or accept a total write off season, the problem is a write off season is supposed to be top 10 for Spurs, not below 14th. If Levy is worried, the risk/reward may force his hand.

I think the other catch for Levy is the fans. All the while they are on Pochs side he is in a potentially tricky situation. Im sure he wants to give Poch as much time as possible to rectify things - though Im also sure that time is short. However, sacking Poch while the fans still back him could also be a disaster, for both Levy and any incoming manager.

The fans being onside makes it easier to give him time, and harder to let him go.

If they turn? Id fully expect changes to be made quickly.

For that purpose, for practicality, a little before Christmas would be ideal. Get a few weeks/games with the team before January so a new manager can actually assess things and make the most of the window.

I think the other catch for Levy is the fans. All the while they are on Pochs side he is in a potentially tricky situation. Im sure he wants to give Poch as much time as possible to rectify things - though Im also sure that time is short. However, sacking Poch while the fans still back him could also be a disaster, for both Levy and any incoming manager.

The fans being onside makes it easier to give him time, and harder to let him go.

If they turn? Id fully expect changes to be made quickly.

I'm not sure Levy gives the fans that much consideration (remember Jol), I'm sure he thinks about it, but don't see it being a major factor in the decision.

Fans are fickle, whoever comes in, if they win 3 or 4 games on the trot, they will all forget Poch, but a couple of high profile players in January and it's happy days again.

I'm not sure Levy gives the fans that much consideration (remember Jol), I'm sure he thinks about it, but don't see it being a major factor in the decision.

Fans are fickle, whoever comes in, if they win 3 or 4 games on the trot, they will all forget Poch, but a couple of high profile players in January and it's happy days again.

Well I think Levy does remember Jol, and thats why I think he is a bit more considerate of that particular element.

As fickle as fans are, they seem to be more fiercly loyal to Poch than any other manager in recent memory. Thats not something to be ignored.

He wants to fill the new 60+k stadium, he doesnt want to tinkle off or alienate the fans.

Just as he does want to give Poch as long as he can, I genuinely believe, and so the fans being on side is key to that.

When they turn, so will Levy IMO - but likely not before.

Back