• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Daniel Levy - Chairman

Because nowadays the player holds all the cards. They realise they are better off seeing out their current contract knowing there will be no transfer fee involved in moving to another club. Therefore the club they move to can put some or all of what would have been the transfer fee towards a more generous signing on fee / salary / both.

Of course DL could choose to buy out their contract early but I'm guessing if the player prefers to stay put right through to the bitter end there's nothing he can do.

There must be someone at these clubs to keep these situations under control. Doesn't look like they doing a great job at Spurs!
Very unlevy like I must say!

Watching everyone fall over themselves to try to direct the blame anywhere but Poch

I'll say it a hundred times, ask Sheffield's coach if he won't swap squads without hesitation, I'd argue Rodgers and Leicester would happily swap squads as well.

Take any team outside top 6 and give them Kane, Son, Lucas, Dele and see what happens, I fudging guarantee you they wouldn't be 14th ..

Again and again, the player issues could contribute to the club not being in top 5, but not for us not being in top 12 ..
Aren’t we only 3 points off of fifth?

Watching everyone fall over themselves to try to direct the blame anywhere but Poch

I'll say it a hundred times, ask Sheffield's coach if he won't swap squads without hesitation, I'd argue Rodgers and Leicester would happily swap squads as well.

Take any team outside top 6 and give them Kane, Son, Lucas, Dele and see what happens, I fudging guarantee you they wouldn't be 14th ..

Again and again, the player issues could contribute to the club not being in top 5, but not for us not being in top 12 ..

"Watching everyone fall over themselves..." a provocative choice of words Raz.

Again you're spinning.

Who hasn't assigned some blame to Poch? You like to claim that -for example- I haven't, but it is a false narrative, somewhat similar to the world's general tone today.

I'll argue with you on both Wilder and Rodgers because they know the value of a squad comprised of players who all want to be there! You can't just look at names! If our squad contained those four multiplied out through to 26 then absolutely, you're right, and it is what we had for a few years. But due to the stadium build/our financial parameters/our policy of tight wages with very generous bonus schemes, we ended up with a crop who wanted tons more cash, didn't get it and wanted out.
I remember the glamour to give Alderweireld VVD money; glad it didn't happen personally, but the fallout has been massive! We cannot get rid of him unless we give him away, if we give him away Levy's a clam and a poor business, if he holds onto him to try and maximise some value either on the pitch or off it in an eventual sale, the gamble becomes his professionalism and usefulness versus potentially losing interest and buggering things up; Toby, is not the only one, and it is unfair to single him out beyond the likes of Rose, Wanyama and (of course) Eriksen, whose behavior over the last two years has been the element which blew a hole in our squad IMO.

As for your "not in top 5 and not being in top 12", tell you what, why don't we see where we are in March? If we are still "not in the top 12" and Pochettino is still our manager, I will offer you a full, no-hold-barred, unadulterated apology for consistently presenting another perspective.

There must be someone at these clubs to keep these situations under control. Doesn't look like they doing a great job at Spurs!
Very unlevy like I must say!

For two seasons plus he tried with Eriksen's people.
A deal for 130k a week was agreed with Toby what, 18 months ago, only for his team to shift the posts.
The club have tried to mover Rose on several times, ironically the one time they could've done it would've been the same summer as Walker and to a rival; I think we can all understand why it didn't happen.
The biggest issue most likely lies with our wage structure versus project timeline. When Poch came we had a squad where we could easily get away with the top wage being 80-90k plus bonuses. As he grew the project rapidly beyond expectation, we ended up with at least half a dozen players who could command minimum 150k a week at most other clubs of our stature. It is both everyone's fault and no-ones. If we were to spend on the stadium and training facilities like we have, then this was the inevitable outcome.

It is actually one of the main reasons I think Poch is still the man to carry this situation forward and regenerate. Not only has he done it once, he knows our structure, knows our chairman and IF he wants to remain here will build a mkII that doesn't fail like mk1 did at the most final of hurdles (all IMO of course and as always I appreciate other POVs even if not agreeing with them).

Bit selective there mate. Give them a half arsed Eriksen and Toby, wantaway Aurier, crocked Wanyama and unsettled, unpredictable Rose and they will probably politely say no. What you keep ignoring every time you bring this point up is that these players were all available for sale last summer and yet they are all still here.

And I am sure that Rodgers could have afforded Aurier, Rose or a £25 million Toby

The whole 3 points off 5th argument is reaching IMO, we are 14th or whatever it is and we fully deserve to be there based on performances. The fact we are only 3 points off 5th just means that the season could be somewhat salvageable as the rest of the league are beating each other and equally as poor as us right now. The trouble is I’m not seeing any green shoots of recovery, at all, in the league performances or results.

The whole 3 points off 5th argument is reaching IMO, we are 14th or whatever it is and we fully deserve to be there based on performances. The fact we are only 3 points off 5th just means that the season could be somewhat salvageable as the rest of the league are beating each other and equally as poor as us right now. The trouble is I’m not seeing any green shoots of recovery, at all, in the league performances or results.

It's also not just 3 points, it's 3 points, plus 9 spots, plus GD. So the ask is to better the results of 9 other clubs to make up the points, with your point of not seeing where it is going to come from performance wise.

Poch seems to have come to the end (i honestly can't see us improving form here, all the players, formations etc have been tried and we are STILL brick generally each time, apart from when we play the likes of Red Star..).

However, i still think Levy is a GREAT businessman but lacks REAL ambition on the football side of things (save for doing an Arsenal and only aiming for Top 4).
Unless that ambition changes i don't think it matters which managers we get in...we'll always "Spurz ourselves up"...

Poch seems to have come to the end (i honestly can't see us improving form here, all the players, formations etc have been tried and we are STILL brick generally each time, apart from when we play the likes of Red Star..).

However, i still think Levy is a GREAT businessman but lacks REAL ambition on the football side of things (save for doing an Arsenal and only aiming for Top 4).
Unless that ambition changes i don't think it matters which managers we get in...we'll always "Spurz ourselves up"...

I think you are missing Levy's vision completely

- Remember Levy bought Spurs around the same time Leeds imploded completely, we had missed the early PL & CL money train, and our competitors were Villa, Saudi Sportswashing Machine, Everton, West Ham & Southampton
- We had an aging under capacity stadium with a team that had been underperforming (to expectation) for over a decade.
- Add in, in his time our progress has been badly affected by the appearance of the money doping of Chelsea & City

There never was going to be a "quick fix"

- We had to improve the on pitch performance
- We had to raise the profile of the club
- We had to build the infrastructure that would help create a better academy and one for better income streams
- We need to be managed better fiscally (easy comparison, 15 years ago the Scum earned almost 75% more than us, last fiscal it was about 3%)

With new stadium, regular CL, additional income streams other teams can't match (e.g. NFL) we will be on a more even footing.

You are mistaking lack of ambition (or even worse, the profiteering Scum and United are subject to) with a long term game and risk management.

The fans view is frustration, why didn't we buy x or y player or back x or y manager more.

Levy's view will be it's been 19 years, why risk it when I know in 3 or so more years we will be on even footing financially?

I think you are missing Levy's vision completely

- Remember Levy bought Spurs around the same time Leeds imploded completely, we had missed the early PL & CL money train, and our competitors were Villa, Saudi Sportswashing Machine, Everton, West Ham & Southampton
- We had an aging under capacity stadium with a team that had been underperforming (to expectation) for over a decade.
- Add in, in his time our progress has been badly affected by the appearance of the money doping of Chelsea & City

There never was going to be a "quick fix"

- We had to improve the on pitch performance
- We had to raise the profile of the club
- We had to build the infrastructure that would help create a better academy and one for better income streams
- We need to be managed better fiscally (easy comparison, 15 years ago the Scum earned almost 75% more than us, last fiscal it was about 3%)

With new stadium, regular CL, additional income streams other teams can't match (e.g. NFL) we will be on a more even footing.

You are mistaking lack of ambition (or even worse, the profiteering Scum and United are subject to) with a long term game and risk management.

The fans view is frustration, why didn't we buy x or y player or back x or y manager more.

Levy's view will be it's been 19 years, why risk it when I know in 3 or so more years we will be on even footing financially?

That sounds all well and nice, but what exactly is that vision? What you have outlined above is more or less saying the vision is to be like Arsenal and aim solely for Consistent Top 4 and all the CL/TV money that entails.

When has there been that moment "yeah bleep it, let's really go for it" in terms of challenging for the top honours? Even when we seems to have had the advantages over some of our rivals?
Re your last sentence, what is there to 'risk'? Again, that sounds very Arsenal-like tbh...i.e. constantly finding new ways NOT to reach for the top, e.g.

- "We are not in the CL so can't compete"
- "We have only just got to CL, so need to be careful how we invest"
- "Our squad is so good, only the very best type of players can improve it"
- "X player is not worth, we can get a cheaper version from X country/our reserves"
- "the agents changed the goalposts"
- "we don't want to do a Leeds"

That sounds all well and nice, but what exactly is that vision? What you have outlined above is more or less saying the vision is to be like Arsenal and aim solely for Consistent Top 4 and all the CL/TV money that entails.

When has there been that moment "yeah bleep it, let's really go for it" in terms of challenging for the top honours? Even when we seems to have had the advantages over some of our rivals?
Re your last sentence, what is there to 'risk'? Again, that sounds very Arsenal-like tbh...i.e. constantly finding new ways NOT to reach for the top, e.g.

- "We are not in the CL so can't compete"
- "We have only just got to CL, so need to be careful how we invest"
- "Our squad is so good, only the very best type of players can improve it"
- "X player is not worth, we can get a cheaper version from X country/our reserves"
- "the agents changed the goalposts"
- "we don't want to do a Leeds"

I disagree mate, Arsenal has had the income for years (combined CL, larger stadium, better finishes)

We literally have not had one full season in new stadium, nor have we got our naming rights and we already starting looking at a different spend levels (Lo Celso, N'dombele, Fernandes, Dybala)

I can understand the skepticism, but think we will see in the next couple of windows which view pans out ..

I disagree mate, Arsenal has had the income for years (combined CL, larger stadium, better finishes)

We literally have not had one full season in new stadium, nor have we got our naming rights and we already starting looking at a different spend levels (Lo Celso, N'dombele, Fernandes, Dybala)

I can understand the skepticism, but think we will see in the next couple of windows which view pans out ..

If there REALLY was a different level of ambition/spend, we'd have bought Fernandes and Dybala regardless of who did/didn't leave.
Dybala was an opportunity that came our way, not someone we actively chased and that's my point: ambition means proper planning for buying and targetting players that are needed/wanted, not just having one or two land in our laps because of contract situations elsewhere: as an example, where is the Kane back-up we've all been craving all these years?

where is the Kane back-up we've all been craving all these years?

Not sure we were, were we? Agree that it is crazy not to have another high quality striker, but while LLorente was here, we assumed that was as good a player who would come, to play second fiddle to Kane.

If there REALLY was a different level of ambition/spend, we'd have bought Fernandes and Dybala regardless of who did/didn't leave.
Dybala was an opportunity that came our way, not someone we actively chased and that's my point: ambition means proper planning for buying and targetting players that are needed/wanted, not just having one or two land in our laps because of contract situations elsewhere: as an example, where is the Kane back-up we've all been craving all these years?

Fernandes has publicly said his club blocked final move, everything was go with Spurs.

Dybala was an image rights thing that has derailed many a transfer ..

Of course you can "whatever" both if you want, but probably unfair ..

Fernandes has publicly said his club blocked final move, everything was go with Spurs.

Dybala was an image rights thing that has derailed many a transfer ..

Of course you can "whatever" both if you want, but probably unfair ..

Sometimes the proof is in the pudding...we can all list "would have" or "should haves" but what ACTUALLY happens is key as to how we judge, especially after all these years. If Poch goes we will see the REAL ambition of Levy/The board.

If they go for an Eddie Howe type, it will be clear where their ambitions lie...

This has been done before.......but could you explain how you arrive at that conclusion?

He has always stated that if players are on two years or less and not signing mew deals then the club cannot a situation where they go for free, he seemeded to have learnt from Campbell.

Either way, the has needed strengthening and mot a great deal has happened in that regard. He sanctions the moves, just like Jack Clarke.

Yes, ultimately it is down to the players but his tactic which he was lauded for 3 years ago has now really bitten him on the bum.

Son is not a number 9 imo; he works best when there is a number 9 to take away defenders and allow him to ghost in from the wings, shoot from range etc.
He is not really a Kane back-up imo.

Someone like Martial would have more of the skillset to play as a Kane back-up imo. Not someone like Dybala.

Back