• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Spurs Manager

I think if we look at some of the results this season closely, it comes down to individual errors in key parts of the pitch where we simply need better players.

Emirates Marketing Project - so many responsible for these goals, but I have always tagged KWP for the first quite simply because he has to track the runner behind him on the back post. End of.

Saudi Sportswashing Machine H - Davo, playing as a left CB, caught out with ball over the top, Rose not covering properly, easy space to hit and cheap goal to concede. Alderweireld's position is terrible. WHO is he covering? Sissoko? Who also does not cover himself in glory. But make no mistake, Jan isn't out of position like Davo if playing because he's a leftie. I would add that Kane was denied a clear pen.

Arsenal - Again, Sissoko fails to clear properly, when Sanchez does we are lazy, and as the ball comes back in I have to wonder again who or what Toby is marking? Lacazette skips past Vertonghen, but Toby's position is utterly unhelpful. If someone can explain to me why he is where he is, I'm all ears. As for the secopmnd, another mistake as jan simply fails to track Auba and allows him in. I personally believe that by the application of the law this season, Kane should've had a pen but concede some disagree.

Soton - Lloris clanger. Aurier engages in gross stupidity. We survive.

Bayern - First goal, Ndombele slow to challenge Kimmich again. Second goal, Ndombele tried to DRIBBLE OUT OF THE PENALTY AREA in the final minute of the first-half!!!!!! Third goal - Aurier commits a form of football hari-kari...

brickon - Lloris clanger in the opening minute, compounded by serious injury. But that clanger is a clanger!

Watford - over the top of Rose, pinged back across where Toby is just too slow/caught flat earlier in the move.

Liverpool - same thing only tighter to goal. Rose caught out, Davo the left side CB out of position.

Everton - Toby WTF?

I appreciate that I am perhaps being harsh, and that faults for goals stem from a variety of issues, but I believe most of these are individual errors which either come from sloppy play lacking focus or having to play square pegs in round holes with regards to the left CB area.

There are a lot of points lost in those errors and situations, and all are (IMO) the result of transition and integration as much as anything else. We have also seen Kane and Sonny missing chances they don't usually miss. And in periods of these games, we have actually played some good football, albeit this is the first extended time we are playing without Eriksen which in itself is a major adaptation.

I still firmly, firmly believe we need to see this through and let Poch take 2.0. I like what SF Spur said, and hope that Levy makes a statement/commitment of loyalty and we will see if Poch will too. it would certainly shut the door on any rumors or unrest. I think that more than anything is vital right now.

Whilst the defending has regressed and individual errors do keep hindering our game plan (I think this is still not helped by our inability to keep the ball in midfield my concern is against Everton and Sheffield United we barely tested their keeper except where we benefited from stray passes by the opposition and a couple of VAR decisions. No argument that we have a lot to do at the back personnel wise (dare I say we have been fortunate Lloris has been taken out of the equation as Poch wouldn’t have done it) but there is a lack of cohesion and purpose all over the pitch at the moment. son and ndombele look to be the only ones who are a threat and the latter is seemingly only available for one game a week at the mo. hoping Lo Celso, Sessegnon and Foyth solve a few problems across the pitch and Jan’s ‘situation’ gets resolved as he feels the most expensive loss at the back.

Interesting seeing harry redknapp doing an interview on sky about our current plight. And thats despite him being more and more out of the limelight these days.

To be fair he backed poch but maybe he’s been sounded out to do the job until the end of the season should our disastrous form continue.

maybe he’s been sounded out to do the job until the end of the season should our disastrous form continue.

source.gif

Is our malaise just down to Pochettino? Has he suddenly gone from a good manager to a terrible one?

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

It happens mate, it's about motivating and keeping top athlete's at their very best form for an extended period of time. People just don't respond to the same guidance for extended periods of time, and it's not just football, tenis, boxing, other sports players regularly change their coaches.

Top flight football history is littered with good/great managers "suddenly" becoming brick in the middle of or even at start of seasons. This is why people constantly referring to Poch's past achievements at Spurs is not relevant

Redknapps a bust. His last stint at QPR was an utter shambles.

If we want a safe pair of hands for the rest of the season Id rather someone like Hughton.

Though, honestly, Id much rather we just move on altogether and not do the whole caretaker thing in the first place, if it comes to Poch going.

Redknapp I think for anyone would be nothing but a tongue firmly in cheek suggestion.

I wouldn't want a caretaker, although I would take one over a zombie squad under Poch for rest of season.

Better to get long term appointment in, so they can evaluate and adjust squad starting in January.

It happens mate, it's about motivating and keeping top athlete's at their very best form for an extended period of time. People just don't respond to the same guidance for extended periods of time, and it's not just football, tenis, boxing, other sports players regularly change their coaches.

Top flight football history is littered with good/great managers "suddenly" becoming brick in the middle of or even at start of seasons. This is why people constantly referring to Poch's past achievements at Spurs is not relevant

I agree with this. BUT that is only one of the many variables. There are other things to consider too.

Has Poch become a zhit coach overnight? No. He's still got it. Is there a malaise at Spurs. Yes. But that has to be seen in context - things like the comedown post CL final, the transition from established players to new ones, new stadium effect etc. In other words if it had been another manager, would they have had similar (or worse) results? My only criticism is that he's followed fans demands re. the team selection when he needs to be surer and stick with his best side. That is hard when you have players running down their contracts. Any manager would have that dynamic to contend with.

So while I take your point there is value in refreshing, bringing new approaches to the side, Poch has not become a crap manager overnight, and as seen at the Scum down the road, replacing a high-quality manger with an average one, will only see the teams long term trajectory dip. Careful what you wish for. Poch will turn it around given time and stability - in his selections.

I agree with this. BUT that is only one of the many variables. There are other things to consider too.

Has Poch become a zhit coach overnight? No. He's still got it. Is there a malaise at Spurs. Yes. But that has to be seen in context - things like the comedown post CL final, the transition from established players to new ones, new stadium effect etc. In other words if it had been another manager, would they have had similar (or worse) results? My only criticism is that he's followed fans demands re. the team selection when he needs to be surer and stick with his best side. That is hard when you have players running down their contracts. Any manager would have that dynamic to contend with.

So while I take your point there is value in refreshing, bringing new approaches to the side, Poch has not become a crap manager overnight, and as seen at the Scum down the road, replacing a high-quality manger with an average one, will only see the teams long term trajectory dip. Careful what you wish for. Poch will turn it around given time and stability - in his selections.

No disagreement mate re him being a good coach and people read me wrong often re Poch

- Poch did a brilliant job in a difficult transition period for the club
- Any other decent manager would have run into the same issues eventually

The comparison to Scum or United are slightly misplaced, the reason those two sides have struggled is the outgoing manager ran everything at the club, and the owners are desperate to appease the fans (panic) and often make really expensive purchases that simply do not fit with team needs. We will not have that issue with Levy here.

Do disagree with the last point, I'm sure Poch can be successful somewhere else, I don't see how he turns it around here (I cannot think of one manager that has ever been able to turn around a year long slump of this scale), again doesn't mean he's brick, it means for both of us, i.e. him and Spurs, we need to refresh and that includes him going.

Redknapps a bust. His last stint at QPR was an utter shambles.

If we want a safe pair of hands for the rest of the season Id rather someone like Hughton.

Though, honestly, Id much rather we just move on altogether and not do the whole caretaker thing in the first place, if it comes to Poch going.

I agree, we are also in a different place to when we hired previously, if the job was available there would be managers falling over themselves to get an interview, we won't need a caretaker.

No disagreement mate re him being a good coach and people read me wrong often re Poch

- Poch did a brilliant job in a difficult transition period for the club
- Any other decent manager would have run into the same issues eventually

The comparison to Scum or United are slightly misplaced, the reason those two sides have struggled is the outgoing manager ran everything at the club, and the owners are desperate to appease the fans (panic) and often make really expensive purchases that simply do not fit with team needs. We will not have that issue with Levy here.

Do disagree with the last point, I'm sure Poch can be successful somewhere else, I don't see how he turns it around here (I cannot think of one manager that has ever been able to turn around a year long slump of this scale), again doesn't mean he's brick, it means for both of us, i.e. him and Spurs, we need to refresh and that includes him going.

Too easy to dismiss Scum and United as exceptions. Granted Levy is smart. And that is why he is sticking with Poch for now.

If you accept that a manager is good - probably one of the world's best at his job - then replacing him is difficult. I don't see why Poch can not turn it around, there is nothing logical that suggests he can not.

Interesting seeing harry redknapp doing an interview on sky about our current plight. And thats despite him being more and more out of the limelight these days.

To be fair he backed poch but maybe he’s been sounded out to do the job until the end of the season should our disastrous form continue.

Not a chance.

Too easy to dismiss Scum and United as exceptions. Granted Levy is smart. And that is why he is sticking with Poch for now.

If you accept that a manager is good - probably one of the world's best at his job - then replacing him is difficult. I don't see why Poch can not turn it around, there is nothing logical that suggests he can not.
The question is, at what point do you decide you have enough enough evidence to assess whether he can or not.
It's like a relationship that is going through a hard time. Do the actions show improvement and habit change? Are the results getting better? Does it need more time and, if so, can you bare the cost.

I'm not seeing much progress in the issues this season. But only the club really know how much influence the manager has over certain factors. It may be the case that they have a plan to fix things in Jan and accept overall responsibility for the current position, rather than seeing a manager change as the solution. That is certainly the messaging that came during the success, so maybe Levy is pragmatic enough to know it's wider change needed.

The question is, at what point do you decide you have enough enough evidence to assess whether he can or not.
It's like a relationship that is going through a hard time. Do the actions show improvement and habit change? Are the results getting better? Does it need more time and, if so, can you bare the cost.

I'm not seeing much progress in the issues this season. But only the club really know how much influence the manager has over certain factors. It may be the case that they have a plan to fix things in Jan and accept overall responsibility for the current position, rather than seeing a manager change as the solution. That is certainly the messaging that came during the success, so maybe Levy is pragmatic enough to know it's wider change needed.

Personally, I want to see Poch have confidence in his own team and formation selection, and stick with it. Not easy with the number of games coming up, the poor performances, and the players with short contracts who used to be good, but are now not part of the core team or long term plan. But he needs to make a decision and back his core team! Then correct their mistakes, their shape, and finesses a settled team.

If it was me, and Poch was still failing after this, I'd considering giving him a sabbatical. Let him take the rest of the season off, and bring in Mourinho or someone else. Then we could even retain both next season. Furgeson used to have a very experienced No 2. A manager in their own right who has been a No. 1 at a number of clubs. Rednapp I remember used to ask why Football clubs tend to only have one senior coach. With all the money in the game why is that?

Why would I give Poch such special treatment? Because he has something. He takes decent players and elevates them. His track record is clear. He's done it throughout his career. At the moment, it is as though his magic dust has worn off and the players are looking average again. But this is the key thing: with other managers that might be the permanent state of affairs. With Poch you'd back him to do what he has done throughout his management career - get these players playing to high standard. Exceeding their baseline. What I think he is missing is some stability in formation/selection, so that he can focus on getting them playing well individually/collectively.

There are remaining issues with Poch however. His ability to predict, anticipate or act rapidly in-games are not as good as the very best. He is good at analysing post-match and addressing. But ideally, he'd be a little sharper predicting how sides will play against us, modeling how we'll perform, and addressing what is obvious before it happens. That is not an easy thing of course. But the best think ahead, use experience and logic, and sort things even before they happen. He also seems to change things too much and too often, and he does better with less for this reason - less forces him to have a stable side. We need to rotate, but I'd prefer it if he would give players a run, then rotate. Let them play a series of games then let them have a rest. I think its a better way to rotate.

I wouldn't be mortified if Poch is moved on. He isn't perfect. But I would suggest that anyone who wants him gone, should not expect us to be top 4 again right away. It might take years for us to rebuild. And with Poch it would probably take years less to regain our poise.

The idea of a sabbatical is revolutionary. I personally love it but don’t know if it is practically applicable given the business side of the club. But what a unique action it would be!

The ONLY way I think it could work would be to bring in a dynamic young coach to work with the current set-up and then integrate both in a year or so. Again, I have doubts it could be applied practically but the concept is very intriguing.

You would need to engineer the sabbatical reason e.g. "I am / my grandma/wife/son is sick so I need to take 6 months off but I'll be back"

It’s a great idea in theory...but the players would think it’s insane (I’d understand their point of view too) and there would be even more of a clamour for the exit imo.

It would be unworkable, he'd be permanently undermined.

We have one of three positions.
  1. A blip and the players will come good.
  2. Poch has lost it.
  3. The first team needs rebuilding.
The correct action depends on the problem and it is difficult to tell from the outside.

Back