• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

There still seems to be a lot of going round in circles on this subject. Some might be happy to engage in this forever, but regardless the likely reality is Poch will be in charge for this season at least. Every team in the 'big 6' has been out of the top 4 at some point and gone through a period of underwhelming 'reset' mode. We with our resources were never going to be any different. Maybe this bump back to reality will make some see we arent as great as many on here liked to believe. Seeing people on this forum happily make fun of the likes of Arsenal and Chelsea during their periods of downturn made me cringe as if we've created some sort of new world order because we'd finished above them for a couple of seasons, as even during these periods those clubs were still winning trophies, whereas during our apparent golden period we have won the square root of naff all. If anyone wonders why our supporters are accused of suffering delusions of grandeur that is a great example....

You could certainly make a compelling argument last year that delivering the stadium 8 months late and over budget while failing to communicate with his customer base could constitute a serious failure in his duties.
Of course as we've now moved in and the place looks stunning, that short-term pain has dissipated quite quickly. In fact its a major success story for which he should be applauded. Context.

Levy will know when or if to sack Poch. He has a good record in knowing when to get rid of managers on the whole, not that I agreed with him on each occasion. I'm quite happy leaving the call to him.
I don't think folks writing blog posts on popular Spurs sites musing that after a lot of self-reflection and soul-searching they've decided now is the time for Poch to move on is acceptable really. Its counter-productive and quite frankly rather arrogant. By all means have a thread on a message board and a discussion about the state of affairs.

There still seems to be a lot of going round in circles on this subject. Some might be happy to engage in this forever, but regardless the likely reality is Poch will be in charge for this season at least. Every team in the 'big 6' has been out of the top 4 at some point and gone through a period of underwhelming 'reset' mode. We with our resources were never going to be any different. Maybe this bump back to reality will make some see we arent as great as many on here liked to believe. Seeing people on this forum happily make fun of the likes of Arsenal and Chelsea during their periods of downturn made me cringe as if we've created some sort of new world order because we'd finished above them for a couple of seasons, as even during these periods those clubs were still winning trophies, whereas during our apparent golden period we have won the square root of naff all. If anyone wonders why our supporters are accused of suffering delusions of grandeur that is a great example....

The likely reality, for me, is that Poch doesnt see out the season - IF things continue as they are.

And there in lays the rub, even on the most base things people are divided.

I would just say, to shorten my post, i just don’t think it is true that Levy = long term and Manager = short term. That just isn’t what it is. Quite simply Levy runs the business and the Manager runs the sporting side. One is not divorced from the other. One is not on a different term perspective than the other. They are linked, quite deeply so. The distinction in job title and scope of responsibility is a matter of expertise, not of time horizon.

And because our successes were collective, the result of getting the entire club on the same page, we are linked together even further. This was a mission to get us up a level on the pitch and in infrastructure, while taking no outside investment and not having a dip. And we damn near pulled it off.

But it was a collective success. There’s no reason now this shouldn’t be seen as a collective dip. Our successes were not all Poch’s magic, and our failures are not his sudden inadequacy as a sporting leader.

Last edited:
In many clubs, the time horizon is different. Because the Manager is likely to not be around. Or you hire a DOF to mitigate it. But we are not most clubs. We had a Manager fully bought in to a long term mission and a Chairman that allowed him to shape the club as he needed it to make it happen. There are unique clubs where things are slightly different, and I don’t think people realise we are one of them.

A lot of time the Manager is purely there to get results short term. A lot of the time a club isn’t on a massive building project to improve its infrastructure and ultimate standing as a club. But we are not that club.

The Levy question is just silly and typical of the Poch "whataboutism"

Let me explain why Levy shouldn't get sacked (even if he could be)

- He is responsable for many things, not specifically on pitch results (that's the manager's job which a lot of people don't want to admit)
- Levy has to manage the long term success of the club (the manager is short term on field success)
- Levy has out performed every single one of his peers over 19 years, not just in UK, but arguably in Europe
- Any credit that BMJ, Harry, Poch get is actually a reflection on Levy because he appointed them.

In 19 years Levy has achieved
- Talking a team more accustomed to finishes outside top 10 (previous 10 years before purchase by ENIC) to a top 4 side
- Increased the clubs revenue streams and managed costs better than almost every other club in PL (percentage growth I think is only matched/bettered by United)
- Built Infrastructure that will set the club up for long term (stadium, training facilities, transport link upgrades)
- Been truly innovative in approach with things like NFL
- Even people who hate him in the industry have a lot of respect for him and how he runs the club

Ramos was a calculated gamble, was a well respected proven winner who didn't work out (although did get us a cup success), and Levy did what he was supposed to do, pull the trigger and get a replacement to correct the situation (which Harry did and exceeded expectations).

My only issue with Levy and the only question mark right now is why is he delaying with Poch (conceding 7 at home should have been the end), but I completely have the confidence because of Levy that when we replace Poch, within two seasons we will be doing better than Poch did (as was the case with BMJ, Harry, etc.)

Anyone thinking Levy should be “sacked” is crackers!!!! Is that really a thing out there?

its daft...

The amount of times people say Levy must go!!!! He has to be sacked!!!

I sit there and just chuckle.

it’s typically the brain dead types on social media who just love to moan

And they are loads of them, what will the world be like when these m o ro ns grow up. :eek:

Top post.

interesting question...would you have sacked Levy if that was possible after the year we finished bottom half with Ramos? If not, why not?
That is an interesting question - not least because I've never thought of him as sackable. In order to answer that, I suppose we have to assume that I have the entire shareholding and Levy is some kind of DoF.

I wouldn't have sacked him for getting Ramos wrong - getting something wrong is fine as long as one shows control of the situation and the ability to repair that mistake. Had he employed AVB directly after Ramos then he would have kept his job, as the direction would have been correct.

I would though, have sacked him for following Ramos with Redknapp. There's a little nuance there though, as I (through friends and contacts at various level of the infrastructure at Portsmouth FC) knew more about Redknapp at the time than anyone at Spurs was likely to. I would have made it very clear to Levy that a club like Spurs does not employ a person like Redknapp - not under any circumstances and would have left him no room whatsoever to do so.

Always. Especially as we have not maxxed out our sponsorship potential yet. Poch is making Levy's work a bit harder and Mourinho could just be what sponsors want.

Sent from my SM-T865 using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Jose would certainly raise the PR profile of club (for good or bad)

I've seen a few people who think Poch is safe for the season, it's a completely naïve point of view, Levy could have his hand forced regardless of his personal connection.

That is an interesting question - not least because I've never thought of him as sackable. In order to answer that, I suppose we have to assume that I have the entire shareholding and Levy is some kind of DoF.

I wouldn't have sacked him for getting Ramos wrong - getting something wrong is fine as long as one shows control of the situation and the ability to repair that mistake. Had he employed AVB directly after Ramos then he would have kept his job, as the direction would have been correct.

I would though, have sacked him for following Ramos with Redknapp. There's a little nuance there though, as I (through friends and contacts at various level of the infrastructure at Portsmouth FC) knew more about Redknapp at the time than anyone at Spurs was likely to. I would have made it very clear to Levy that a club like Spurs does not employ a person like Redknapp - not under any circumstances and would have left him no room whatsoever to do so.

And I could see the reasoning for that opinion, yet Redknapp turned out to be one of the most inspired managerial signings.

Life and kis a bitch and often makes hypocrites of us all, people would do well to remember that when they right off Jose as an option for us,

Last edited:

I did not have the contacts as you did at Portsmouth but having worked at the FA for a long time he was not fondly talked about because of his activitys. That was why when a lot of folks ( especially his mates in the press) were putting him up for the England job there was never a cat in hells chance he would have got it.

I kept getting told he was favourite for the job and deserved it but he never even got a mentioned at the head table. He is a "rent a quote" " bull bricker" and a lot worse and i hated the day Levy appointed him.

And I could see the reasoning for that opinion, yet Redknapp turned out to be one of the most inspired managerial signings.

Life and kis a bitch and often makes hypocrites of us all, people would do well to remember that when they right off Jose as an option for us,
Redknapp is still the biggest mistake this club ever made. We'll be tarnished forever by it.

Round and round in circles. You’re willfully ignoring every single mitigating factor. And it IS willful at this point. You’ve had it in for him since he spoke about “auras”...fact.
Having it in for him is an inaccurate description IMO.

Until his book, I assumed that he made his decisions from logic and reason. I assumed (because he shows no outward traits of retardation) that he would scoff at such ridiculous beliefs as those he now appears to hold close.

I can trust the opinion of any intelligent person that uses logic and reason, I can't trust the opinion of anyone who believes in woo.

Having it in for him is an inaccurate description IMO.

Until his book, I assumed that he made his decisions from logic and reason. I assumed (because he shows no outward traits of retardation) that he would scoff at such ridiculous beliefs as those he now appears to hold close.

I can trust the opinion of any intelligent person that uses logic and reason, I can't trust the opinion of anyone who believes in woo.

Genuine question: do you think your logic and reason would have got more out of these players over the last 5 seasons than Poch's 'woo' was able to?

Genuine question: do you think your logic and reason would have got more out of these players over the last 5 seasons than Poch's 'woo' was able to?
My logic in the hands of someone far more tolerant of stupid people would have, yes.

I couldn't be in the company of a footballer for more than a few minutes without losing my brick.

I would just say, to shorten my post, i just don’t think it is true that Levy = long term and Manager = short term. That just isn’t what it is. Quite simply Levy runs the business and the Manager runs the sporting side. One is not divorced from the other. One is not on a different term perspective than the other. They are linked, quite deeply so. The distinction in job title and scope of responsibility is a matter of expertise, not of time horizon.

And because our successes were collective, the result of getting the entire club on the same page, we are linked together even further. This was a mission to get us up a level on the pitch and in infrastructure, while taking no outside investment and not having a dip. And we damn near pulled it off.

But it was a collective success. There’s no reason now this shouldn’t be seen as a collective dip. Our successes were not all Poch’s magic, and our failures are not his sudden inadequacy as a sporting leader.
Brilliant post mate.

It was a complete misunderstanding of a hypothetical question I posed.

Oh I know mate, I was not saying you were saying that at all and trust me, I understand what you were doing. I think hypotheticals and contexts are dangerous elements around here sometimes though ;-)

Back