• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Daniel Levy - Chairman

Poch turned down Maddison, Brooks and Tielemans recently.
Levy has never had a problem bringing in these types of young players.
Poch is very choosey.

Tottenham got exactly the players they agreed to target at the end of last season and leaked to the press that they wanted:

From 31st May https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/fo...l-levy-says-mauricio-pochettino-a4156216.html
"Their transfer targets include Giovani Lo Celso of Real Betis, Lyon's Tanguy Ndombele, Leeds' Jack Clarke and Fulham's Ryan and Steven Sessegnon."

yeah but
Yeah but
Yeah but

Poch has IMO been given everything he has wanted that the club could get at the time
He may have wanted a player 2 years ago we couldn’t afford for example so accepted a lesser option in the hoe he could improve them... but he has always know on what he has been dealing with

the period we didn’t buy anyone there was a LOT of ex spurs people saying Poch has turned down players that the club offered to buy for him. And also at that point in time when we were doing well for a bit he was called A genius for keeping that stability..

now the same people are talking in hindsight saying how it’s backfired.

Poch turned down Maddison, Brooks and Tielemans recently.
Levy has never had a problem bringing in these types of young players.
Poch is very choosey.

Tottenham got exactly the players they agreed to target at the end of last season and leaked to the press that they wanted:

From 31st May https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/fo...l-levy-says-mauricio-pochettino-a4156216.html
"Their transfer targets include Giovani Lo Celso of Real Betis, Lyon's Tanguy Ndombele, Leeds' Jack Clarke and Fulham's Ryan and Steven Sessegnon."

Yes. He got Ndombele early but not Lo Celso or Sessegnon. He got them so late. He didn't ask for that did he?! I think Tielemans would've been a great buy, so agree that IMO Poch missed one there. Of course, Tielemans comes in, that is probably the end of Harry Winks, right? I think Maddison will prove good but no more long-term.

Yes. He got Ndombele early but not Lo Celso or Sessegnon. He got them so late. He didn't ask for that did he?! I think Tielemans would've been a great buy, so agree that IMO Poch missed one there. Of course, Tielemans comes in, that is probably the end of Harry Winks, right? I think Maddison will prove good but no more long-term.
With Sessegnon it didn’t matter anyway due to his hamstring injury.

I think it’s very likely he turned down Maddison because he wanted Grealish. Of course one could argue that the former is the better player, but the latter was available at the same time for the same money.

With Sessegnon it didn’t matter anyway due to his hamstring injury.

I think it’s very likely he turned down Maddison because he wanted Grealish. Of course one could argue that the former is the better player, but the latter was available at the same time for the same money.

Did Maddison not say he would never sign for us, he's a gooner or something?

Tielemanns plays in NDombeles position and I’d rather have him
maddison should have been brought from Norwich no questions but we waited and then didn’t move. He is an ideal eriksen replacement

With the benefit of hindsight, I bet that Daniel Levy wishes he had been more active in helping get rid of players and bringing new ones in. At the end of last season he will have been aware of how we just scraped the CL, how our win ratio in the League was getting worse and worse. He wouldn't have expected such a mini collapse, but looking back it is clear that we had issues last season, which the amazing CL run papered over.

Guillem Balague probably had it spot on when he said:
“In a nutshell, in Pochettino Spurs have a coach who will look at and evaluate players on the basis of what they can do for the team, while also having one eye on the business. Levy, however, is more likely to view them in terms of what they can do for the business, while having one eye on the football." Not sure the Chairman's pov has been the right one recently.

With the benefit of hindsight, I bet that Daniel Levy wishes he had been more active in helping get rid of players and bringing new ones in. At the end of last season he will have been aware of how we just scraped the CL, how our win ratio in the League was getting worse and worse. He wouldn't have expected such a mini collapse, but looking back it is clear that we had issues last season, which the amazing CL run papered over.
I think we need some professional help in this department big time!

Wasn’t Mitchell that? He wanted Mane and Winaldjum and DL wouldn’t sanction the wages (Mane for sure). He copped the hump and left.

I also remember the Sancho thing, not sure if we could’ve done anything about it though. Anyone remember the details?

Wasn’t Mitchell that? He wanted Mane and Winaldjum and DL wouldn’t sanction the wages (Mane for sure). He copped the hump and left.

I also remember the Sancho thing, not sure if we could’ve done anything about it though. Anyone remember the details?

Yep

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...tspur-paul-mitchell-recruitment-notice-period

Funny how our transfers (bar Wanyama and Moura) has ranged from not good enough to non-existent (quite literally) between then and 31 January 2019.

I do think our signings this summer were big statements but sadly they only stratch the surface of what needs to be done and proves Poch was right regarding a painful rebuild.

When Eriksen, Alderweireld and Vertonghen go for free this summer the blame lies solely on Levy. I am for the first time happy to see Levy go and start again with new owners. But I actually think we wants to be chairman until the day he dies. Either way, this January is absolutely massive and he has to deliver.

Yep

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...tspur-paul-mitchell-recruitment-notice-period

Funny how our transfers (bar Wanyama and Moura) has ranged from not good enough to non-existent (quite literally) between then and 31 January 2019.

I do think our signings this summer were big statements but sadly they only stratch the surface of what needs to be done and proves Poch was right regarding a painful rebuild.

When Eriksen, Alderweireld and Vertonghen go for free this summer the blame lies solely on Levy. I am for the first time happy to see Levy go and start again with new owners. But I actually think we wants to be chairman until the day he dies. Either way, this January is absolutely massive and he has to deliver.

Still, I'm sure this has nothing to do with anything significant...ahem...:-(

Yep

I read the article....

Preparations for the home game against Hull City on Wednesday night have been undermined by a foot injury to Mousa Dembélé. Érik Lamela (hip)
Some things never change!

Érik Lamela (hip)

This is a great example of our tragic vulnerability when it comes to squad evolution.
We don't get rid of long term injured, declining ability players and move on because we can't afford to.
I can't get why Dier, Lemala and Wanyama have not been moved on, then Rose, Yan etc move up the taxi rank and off they go.

We’ve missed out of a few players down the years because Levy hasn’t sanctioned wages etc... his aim was building from the ground up. Training ground, stadium etc... to get good finance to do these the books needed to be in a good place. Now we have done these big projects we don’t have anything left to do imo. I think Levy was right to take this approach. We are now hopefully in a better place to make good investments in the squad for a good few years to come. Has it cost us on the pitch, most definitely. The squad. Aged and hasn’t been refreshed and we now potentially a few transfer windows from challenging again, probably. But we now have a lot better structure to challenge. We might miss the champions league next season which will cost us. However there are only 4 spots and the premier league has 6/7 teams that are good enough to challenge for them. This will always be the potential. The money we can generate from the stadium, outside Our own gate receipts. wont depend on current success. This will make sure we are ahead of. Leicester, wolves & West Ham etc...

Unfortunately we have gone backwards on the football front but the club is in a lot better place to attack again!

This is a great example of our tragic vulnerability when it comes to squad evolution.
We don't get rid of long term injured, declining ability players and move on because we can't afford to.
I can't get why Dier, Lemala and Wanyama have not been moved on, then Rose, Yan etc move up the taxi rank and off they go.
Because nowadays the player holds all the cards. They realise they are better off seeing out their current contract knowing there will be no transfer fee involved in moving to another club. Therefore the club they move to can put some or all of what would have been the transfer fee towards a more generous signing on fee / salary / both.

Of course DL could choose to buy out their contract early but I'm guessing if the player prefers to stay put right through to the bitter end there's nothing he can do.

Watching everyone fall over themselves to try to direct the blame anywhere but Poch

I'll say it a hundred times, ask Sheffield's coach if he won't swap squads without hesitation, I'd argue Rodgers and Leicester would happily swap squads as well.

Take any team outside top 6 and give them Kane, Son, Lucas, Dele and see what happens, I fudging guarantee you they wouldn't be 14th ..

Again and again, the player issues could contribute to the club not being in top 5, but not for us not being in top 12 ..

Back