• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

So why would we settle?

Mediocrity is not an option.

I don't think we'd be settling in this instance, it's a poor season and everyone would know the need to improve on it going forwards - it's just taking a long term view rather than being a short-termist

I don't think we'd be settling in this instance, it's a poor season and everyone would know the need to improve on it going forwards - it's just taking a long term view rather than being a short-termist
I'm taking a long term view - that long term view is one that started a few years ago, was based around constant improvement and never finishing outside the top 4.

I'm taking a long term view - that long term view is one that started a few years ago, was based around constant improvement and never finishing outside the top 4.

to offer a slightly less glib response...I think it is possible that we have the best people in position and they are doing all they can reasonably be expected to do, but external, competitive and sporting pressures and factors mean that despite the ideal being to not finish below the top 4, sometimes it can still happen. Just saying we want it doesn’t mean we will get it, and it doesn’t mean anyone is actually in the wrong jobs. Sometimes it can just happen.

As someone who forked out a considerable amount of money to be in the stadium that night (something I remain delighted I did, because until those clams Imagine Dragons were wheeled out, the vibe was electric) I have come to accept that I am still very sad about what happened on that pitch. I think the main difference is that for me, there were several players who talk and act billy big gonad*s and simply did not show up. I blame them. But I understand we all blame different people. BTW, just to be clear, I am not trying to insinuate that I am any "better" a supporter because I get to matches home and away in the course of a season, it's just that June 1st 2019 will always be a very, very significant day in my life for a tremendous amount of reasons, not the least that journey!

I decided to re-watch that game during the summer to try and reach some sort of closure.

What that showed me:

- we gave away a controversial penalty in the opening minute which kills any momentum
- both sides were poor but actually Spurs were more progressive with the ball and had more possession
- Liverpool could not keep possession effectively or get their front 3 into the game. FB's were also nullified.
- Although Kane wasn't at his best he dropped deep and pulled van Dijk out on 2-3 occasions which allowed Son chances to open up their defence.
- We were 1 good pass or shot away from scoring.
- We were pushing harder towards the end - the 2nd goal came against the run of play

The coaching staff had managed the game effectively, nullified their threat and their practised system had created us 3 clear openings where we were 3 v 3 against their defence. At that point coaching goes out of the window, it is down to the players to make the correct decisions to create a scoring chance. I don't think the manager or his staff could do anymore than lay it on a plate for them.
It goes back to that question that you've referred to previously...perhaps this team/squad are, when it comes down to it, just short of delivering on the big stage when it really matters.

So simple! Have less money that our competitors and yet never finish below them. Good strategy.
Incidentally a habit that only Poch has been able to maintain in the last nearly 30 years of our time in the PL. 27 years it has taken us to consistently become a top 4 club. And we want to throw away the manager who achieved it because we've not managed to transition between one team and the next smoothly when we have had so many challenges to that transition.

to offer a slightly less glib response...I think it is possible that we have the best people in position and they are doing all they can reasonably be expected to do, but external, competitive and sporting pressures and factors mean that despite the ideal being to not finish below the top 4, sometimes it can still happen. Just saying we want it doesn’t mean we will get it, and it doesn’t mean anyone is actually in the wrong jobs. Sometimes it can just happen.
I think we've got the 2nd best team in the country. Some might (wrongly) argue 3rd best. I'd imagine some particularly strange people might even suggest 4th best.

Assuming even a generous 4th best as a premise, that means an entirely bang average, run of the mill, nothing special manager should have us in the top 4. That's ignoring the over achievement that Poch has shown in the past, ignoring that he's shown we can achieve a lot more than 4th. Just turning up and doing an average job would have us in 4th.

There is no excuse whatsoever for this performance over this length of time. There's no way our entire squad has deteriorated physically in this short a space of time - they're not there mentally, tactically or a mixture of both. It's on Poch to fix that, it's been deteriorating for over a year and shows no sign of improving.

Last edited:
I think we've got the 2nd best team in the country. Some might (wrongly) argue 3rd best. I'd imagine some particularly strange people might even suggest 4th best.

Assuming even a generous 4th best as a premise, that means an entirely bang average, run of the mill, nothing special manager should have us in the top 4. That's ignoring the over achievement that Poch has shown in the past, ignoring that he's shown we can achieve a lot more than 4th. Just turning up and doing an average job would have us in 4th.

There is no excuse whatsoever for this length of performance over this time. There's no way our entire squad has deteriorated physically in this short a space of time - they're not there mentally, tactically or a mixture of both. It's on Poch to fix that, it's been deteriorating for over a year and shows no sign of improving.

Who did you have 1st? City? Or the current European champions and PL league leaders (by 8 points)?

I decided to re-watch that game during the summer to try and reach some sort of closure.

What that showed me:

- we gave away a controversial penalty in the opening minute which kills any momentum
- both sides were poor but actually Spurs were more progressive with the ball and had more possession
- Liverpool could not keep possession effectively or get their front 3 into the game. FB's were also nullified.
- Although Kane wasn't at his best he dropped deep and pulled van Dijk out on 2-3 occasions which allowed Son chances to open up their defence.
- We were 1 good pass or shot away from scoring.
- We were pushing harder towards the end - the 2nd goal came against the run of play

The coaching staff had managed the game effectively, nullified their threat and their practised system had created us 3 clear openings where we were 3 v 3 against their defence. At that point coaching goes out of the window, it is down to the players to make the correct decisions to create a scoring chance. I don't think the manager or his staff could do anymore than lay it on a plate for them.
It goes back to that question that you've referred to previously...perhaps this team/squad are, when it comes down to it, just short of delivering on the big stage when it really matters.

I agree!
Did the same and concluded that 20% more from Eriksen would’ve been the difference. I do also think Dele was just coming to life, would not have been my sub.
But yes, overall I agree, mgmt had it set up well...

There is no excuse whatsoever for this performance over this length of time. There's no way our entire squad has deteriorated physically in this short a space of time - they're not there mentally, tactically or a mixture of both. It's on Poch to fix that, it's been deteriorating for over a year and shows no sign of improving.

Scara. He has been trying. Repeatedly.

Back