• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tactics Thread

For me this thread just goes to show that everyone has different opinions on what the formation and lineup should be. Therefore regardless of what Poch goes with, if we lose there’ll always be lots of people ready to blame it on his formation / lineup.

For me this thread just goes to show that everyone has different opinions on what the formation and lineup should be. Therefore regardless of what Poch goes with, if we lose there’ll always be lots of people ready to blame it on his formation / lineup.
That's true. I also think it's true that Pochettino likewise hasn't found the answer to this question so far.

These threads are easy when we're flying high. A consensus pretty much is there at the time of the first post. Now... Not so much.

I'll take a crack.

Right now -in the month of November and to face Spam, this would be my choice

Gazza

Foyth Sanchez Verts Sessegnon

Winks Dier

Son Dele Lo Celso

Kane

bench: Vorm, Lucas, Ndombele, Parrott, Sissoko, Rose, Davies

I think that 11, whilst not being the best skill-wise, has the bolloxxx to fight as well as play.

I'll take a crack.

Right now -in the month of November and to face Spam, this would be my choice

Gazza

Foyth Sanchez Verts Sessegnon

Winks Dier

Son Dele Lo Celso

Kane

bench: Vorm, Lucas, Ndombele, Parrott, Sissoko, Rose, Davies

I think that 11, whilst not being the best skill-wise, has the bolloxxx to fight as well as play.

Would our forwards ever be passed the ball again?

I still think 4231 is by far and away the best system for us, but I’m intrigued at the possibility of playing very direct in a 433 like pool, considering the players we have that could make it work well.

Gazzaniga
Foyth, Sanchez, Vertonghen, Sessegnon
Lo Celso, Sissoko, Ndombele
Lucas, Kane, Son

---------------------Gazza
Aurier-----Sanchez
-----Vertonghen-------Rose
-----Lo Celso-----Sissoko------NDombele
---Son-------------Kane------------Sessegnon

Question marks over all of the players I have bolded (Sessegnon only due to lack of minutes) but I just haven't seen any players we have available who are better than these so we don't have much choice but to play them. The fact that Vertonghen is out of contract next summer and Rose and Aurier were told they could leave the summer just gone merely shows how poorly our squad has been built as they are still the best players in their positions.

I wouldn't mind seeing Foyth playing instead of Aurier. I also wouldn't be too aghast at Dier playing instead of Sanchez (I think it's fine to have one CH who is poor on the ball but not two) or if Davies played instead of Rose. I would also be fine with Moura playing instead of Sessegnon (although I think Moura tends to have more impact off of the bench).

Would our forwards ever be passed the ball again?

Ha ha, nice one!
Seriously, I think Winks can be a very dynamic passer with the right partner, and this set up certainly puts a fair amount of weight on FBs Foyth and Sess to open things up. Dier sits in and covers, Lo Celso can also drop in deeper if necessary. I think it could work. If Ndombele was ready I’d have him in, possibly at the expense of Winks, but he is not ready yet.

For now.
--------------------------Gazzaniga-------------------
Aurier--Alderweireld--Vertonghen--Rose
---------------------Dier--------Lo Celso-------------
------Son-----------Ndombele---------Moura---
---------------------------Kane---------------------------

Dier stays behind to defend, Lo Celso joins the 4 in front to focus on attacking. Give the ball as often as possible to Son and Moura to run at the opposition. Ndombele to create for the front 3 around him. Back 4 just defend and stop making stupid errors. Above all, the whole team needs to play more positively and with far greater intensity. Simples...

Last edited:

That's why he gets paid 8M a year mate, he's not doing us a favor. But the changes aren't that much/varied

Base team -> Gazza, Aurier, Sanchez, Toby, Davies, Sissoko, N'dombele, Lo Celso, Dele, Son, Kane

Options -> Foyth for Aurier, Jan for Toby, Lucas for Dele, Dier sitting in front of back 4

+New manager

That's why he gets paid 8M a year mate, he's not doing us a favor. But the changes aren't that much/varied

Base team -> Gazza, Aurier, Sanchez, Toby, Davies, Sissoko, N'dombele, Lo Celso, Dele, Son, Kane

Options -> Foyth for Aurier, Jan for Toby, Lucas for Dele, Dier sitting in front of back 4

+New manager

That you have Aurier and Toby as in your "base team" is incredible to me. Mate. Have you watched Aurier? He is wreckless in challenges, single-minded in surging forward but shows little to no interest in getting back when he inevitably loses the ball. Toby - who incidentally still thinks he is worth it- has been caught at least half a dozen times out of position and lumbering. Replacing those two players alone with Foyth and Sanchez would give us more energy and responsibility. I'd even give KWP a shot again, even though it seems that Poch doesn't trust him. Still, he's picking Aurier getting paid 8 mill a year, and so are you, doubtless not getting paid 8 mill a year. Confusing.

That you have Aurier and Toby as in your "base team" is incredible to me. Mate. Have you watched Aurier? He is wreckless in challenges, single-minded in surging forward but shows little to no interest in getting back when he inevitably loses the ball. Toby - who incidentally still thinks he is worth it- has been caught at least half a dozen times out of position and lumbering. Replacing those two players alone with Foyth and Sanchez would give us more energy and responsibility. I'd even give KWP a shot again, even though it seems that Poch doesn't trust him. Still, he's picking Aurier getting paid 8 mill a year, and so are you, doubtless not getting paid 8 mill a year. Confusing.

Note, I pick that team without Poch (see my new manager bit), at this stage he isn't getting par out of them, the lineup is almost irrelevant to performance if we keep Poch (pre any new influx of players). When Jan is back I suspect he gets the experienced CB call.

Toby is not the only "older CB" in the PL with pace gone, nor is Aurier the only FB that gets exposed, the question is how to team tactics compensate for that if you believe the rest of what they bring is worth it?

Note, I pick that team without Poch (see my new manager bit), at this stage he isn't getting par out of them, the lineup is almost irrelevant to performance if we keep Poch (pre any new influx of players). When Jan is back I suspect he gets the experienced CB call.

Toby is not the only "older CB" in the PL with pace gone, nor is Aurier the only FB that gets exposed, the question is how to team tactics compensate for that if you believe the rest of what they bring is worth it?

Fair enough, apologies, I missed your "new manager" bit TBF. The last part of your question is again where we differ. I support anyone wearing our shirt once the game starts, but I would be delighted if Aurier never played for us again right now. He makes Chimbo's workrate seem like Jordan Henderson's!

Fair enough, apologies, I missed your "new manager" bit TBF. The last part of your question is again where we differ. I support anyone wearing our shirt once the game starts, but I would be delighted if Aurier never played for us again right now. He makes Chimbo's workrate seem like Jordan Henderson's!

That's worth a laugh .. :D

...........................Gazza..........................
Foyth.........Sanchez.........Jan..........A good LB
........Sissoko..........Winks........NDombele.....
........Son.............Kane.................Lo Celso

Ideally have new full backs who can bomb forward and deliver decent balls into the box quickly.

I'll have a crack for this week....

Gazza
Foyth Sanchez Davies/Jan

Son Winks Dier Ndombele/Lo Celso Sessegnon

Dele
Kane

Yes, a little bonkers but hey, I'm a supporter and keyboard manager so I will try to explain the logic.

First of all, on any transition, it should be obvious that Dier drops into the three to make a four. The ideal would be Toby, however I am trying not to use the contract mob, so Davo it is, and anyway he will be our man going forward.

Winks and either Ndombele or Lo Celso provide the speed of pass and creativity, with Son and Less providing the width (I don't think Sessegnon is ready to be a PL LB yet)

Dele behind Kane should work on paper.

I think the time has come to recognize that we can live without certain players starting and that right now, we need as much creativity as possible from everyone on the pitch. Thus Moussa on the bench. Indeed, my bench...

Vorm, Moura, either Lo Celso or Ndombele, Parrott, Sissoko, Tanganga, Lamela

Goodbye Eriksen, Rose, Alderweireld, Aurier. Not in my squad. Painful rebuild continues.

Back