• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Daniel Levy - Chairman

Has Levy ever supported a manager in the transfer market.....Liverpool a few years ago were creeping up and on our tails but kept losing crucial games like us to get to the title,what they do,go out buy two players for a start fill those cracks for over £150 mill,a keeper and centre half...plus a few side on players on top...where are they now,they supported Klopp in the market and,where are we, fannying around lower to mid table ,players not being moved on,players disenchanted when they are being pushed out.

We say this every time what does Levy and Lewis want from the club,one trophy in 20 years is their record or a shiny new stadium to bring their mates around for a drink or two.....Leicester City second in the league plus premiership winners,need i say more,what have we done under Levy?

Levy has spent more on the club than most every other club despite not being in the blood money/money laundering business, the problem for us is we were so far behind on facilities and infrastructure that that is where the money went.

The Pool narrative is false, they have had decades of 2X/3X our income and have always spent money, the difference is Klopp knew how to spend it (vs. the nonsense they used to, or United do now). Btw, Pool was not creeping up on us, they spent the better part of 30 years above us, we just outperformed them for a space of 5-6 years, then they made some adjustments that have paid off.

Has Levy ever supported a manager in the transfer market.....Liverpool a few years ago were creeping up and on our tails but kept losing crucial games like us to get to the title,what they do,go out buy two players for a start fill those cracks for over £150 mill,a keeper and centre half...plus a few side on players on top...where are they now,they supported Klopp in the market and,where are we, fannying around lower to mid table ,players not being moved on,players disenchanted when they are being pushed out.

We say this every time what does Levy and Lewis want from the club,one trophy in 20 years is their record or a shiny new stadium to bring their mates around for a drink or two.....Leicester City second in the league plus premiership winners,need i say more,what have we done under Levy?

he supported Poch this summer didn’t he? There’s nothing to indicate he won’t again.

The Pool narrative is false, they have had decades of 2X/3X our income and have always spent money, the difference is Klopp knew how to spend it (vs. the nonsense they used to, or United do now). Btw, Pool was not creeping up on us, they spent the better part of 30 years above us, we just outperformed them for a space of 5-6 years, then they made some adjustments that have paid off.

Pool made no moves at all in the summer (unless you count the 16 year old from Fulham), so Im guessing they are due a midtable crash very soon...

To be fair, Levy's just got the cheque book out to fill two cracks, Dembele and Eriksen, it's just we've got more cracks to fill due to the stadium build.

he supported Poch this summer didn’t he? There’s nothing to indicate he won’t again.

Poch has had 26 players purchased in his time here, the fact that Hugo, Jan, Rose, Eriksen, Lamela, Kane (more than half the team) are still required is who's fault?

Additionally Spurs has bought Carrick, Keane, JD, Berbatov, Modric, VDV, Jan, Bale,Toby, Eriksen, Lamela, Hugo, Walker, Rose, Wanyama, Dembele, N'dombele, Dele, Sanchez, Son, Lucas, Lo Celso (and that's not counting the failures), the fact that some of those players did not come with 50M+ price tags does not mean managers don't get backed in Spurs (it's crazy good list of players in last 10 years)

Said it before im sure but either we were idiots for allowing a 25mil release clause for Toby's contract that meant he would go to *insert rival here*
or we are trying to over charge for our players due to Levy's greed

At the moment not offering eriksen "whatever he wants" seems to be very good business
We were very poor towards end of last year, however over the summer we signed Ndombele early and then Lo Celso and Sessegnon later but it made no difference as both were unavailable anyway.

Levy has undoubtably made mistakes but so much revisionism has been going on its pretty frustrating as i think it stops Poch being asked the right questions.

We would 100% be better with another manager right now, Levys decision is if we would be better under another manager in 1yr and that im really torn on.

Has Levy ever been public?
Do we know anything about what's going on behind the scenes?
Indications are that we are still trying to sign the players we missed out on in the summer.
That looks like continuing to follow a plan, a plan you can't be sure a new manager will want to follow.
Of course that is gossip and we really don't know, and I don't see that changing.
Levy doesn't do public.

But fans ( at least some think so) deserve to be told by our chairman what he is going to do, rubbish because as you say he does not do public about those things.

Lets say from the Redknapp era onwards,when did we sign a player that made all of us sit up and say ....feck that's a player we needed and got......Don't mind, the playing all cagey and getting a good deal on players but comes a time when we should be getting one or two players that will win us a trophy or two or making it a game in cup finals...one trophy in twenty years.

Lets say from the Redknapp era onwards,when did we sign a player that made all of us sit up and say ....feck that's a player we needed and got......Don't mind, the playing all cagey and getting a good deal on players but comes a time when we should be getting one or two players that will win us a trophy or two or making it a game in cup finals...one trophy in twenty years.

Ndombele...

And i expect from now on that's the level we'll be working at in the market.

Personally I don’t care if their name players as long as their good enough

I suggested a CB at Sheffield United about 4 years ago... he went for 80m this summer

pool signed Robertson for £9m and he so worth 10 times that now

Ndombele...

And i expect from now on that's the level we'll be working at in the market.

True - first signing since Lloris that made me feel that we'd really gone out and spent at our level, tbh. Toby and Son were other notable buys that I thought were great business befitting our level at the time - other than that, we generally spent below our level up until Ndombele.

Mate, honestly option 3 doesn't exist, it's

1. Either back him
2. Fire him

And number 1 doesn't come without caveats, if you have someone managing a business for you that is so badly performing, however you believe they can turn it around, you create a plan. That plan will come with help (public backing, additional help, change of staff below, something).

And Poch not taking that help is a death sentence, because again if your manager came to you, said we need to sort this out and you said "leave it to me" and did not turn it around, no second chances.

I also don't believe 2 is a risk at this point, literally no manager will do worse than a 25% win rate over an extended period of time.
It's a fluid situation.

Of course 3 is an option.

Just off the top of my head,

soldado
VDV
Lamela
Modric
Palacios
Paulinho
Capoue
Davies
Stambouli
Vorm
Trippier
Son
Toby
Wayama
Sissoko
Sanchez
Aurier
Llorente
Ndombele
Lo Celso

obviously a mixed success rate but they were all players who filled an obvious need in the squad and had a reasonable expectation that they would improve us

Just off the top of my head,

soldado
VDV
Lamela
Modric
Palacios
Paulinho
Capoue
Davies
Stambouli
Vorm
Trippier
Son
Toby
Wayama
Sissoko
Sanchez
Aurier
Llorente
Ndombele
Lo Celso

obviously a mixed success rate but they were all players who filled an obvious need in the squad and had a reasonable expectation that they would improve us

Nah - it's far from a science, but I think what @a spur from swansea meant is signings that are towards the edge of our capability to make, and/or a surprise when we do get them. And he has a point. To look at your list....

soldado - was the alternative to David Villa and (at the time, a red-hot) Benteke. I was dubious about him back then, because I felt he was a poacher and we needed a physical Benteke-type. Doesn't really qualfiy.
VDV - Yes, agreed.
Lamela - Yes, agreed.
Modric - Before Harry, but another example of that type of signing.
Palacios - eh. What we needed, but an easily achievable signing - if we ever struggle to land players from Wigan, it will be a grim time.
Paulinho - Yes, agreed.
Capoue - felt a bit 'bargain-bin' - was one of the signings to round out the others in the Bale sale summer.
Davies - come on. We could always get Davies, and players like him - don't think we extended ourselves in any way doing so.
Stambouli - bargain basement crap bought when we cheaped out on Schneiderlin.
Vorm - Backup keeper - again, one we could always get, whether we were 5th or 15th.
Trippier - backup right-back, see above.
Son - Yes, agreed - CL-calibre player who came to us without CL football.
Toby - Yes, agreed - see above.
Wayama - Celtic midfielder, cheap fee, easy to get.
Sissoko - Expensive fee, but come on - middling player for a relegated side, hardly out of our reach.
Sanchez - Unexpected, but out of our reach? Seems unlikely.
Aurier - Eh. Wasn't a great replacement for Walker even when he was bought, felt 'bargain-bin'.
Llorente - backup striker from relegated side. Easily achievable for us.
Ndombele - Yes, agreed.
Lo Celso - Eh. Will we really struggle when targeting someone from Real Betis? Seems unlikely.

VDV, Lamela, Paulinho, Son, Toby, Ndombele. Those are the real 'surprising' signings post-2009 that seemed to be a reach in terms of ambition and effort. Others were all meh - we could probably have got them anyway.

Nah - it's far from a science, but I think what @a spur from swansea meant is signings that are towards the edge of our capability to make, and/or a surprise when we do get them. And he has a point. To look at your list....

soldado - was the alternative to David Villa and (at the time, a red-hot) Benteke. I was dubious about him back then, because I felt he was a poacher and we needed a physical Benteke-type. Doesn't really qualfiy.
VDV - Yes, agreed.
Lamela - Yes, agreed.
Modric - Before Harry, but another example of that type of signing.
Palacios - eh. What we needed, but an easily achievable signing - if we ever struggle to land players from Wigan, it will be a grim time.
Paulinho - Yes, agreed.
Capoue - felt a bit 'bargain-bin' - was one of the signings to round out the others in the Bale sale summer.
Davies - come on. We could always get Davies, and players like him - don't think we extended ourselves in any way doing so.
Stambouli - bargain basement crap bought when we cheaped out on Schneiderlin.
Vorm - Backup keeper - again, one we could always get, whether we were 5th or 15th.
Trippier - backup right-back, see above.
Son - Yes, agreed - CL-calibre player who came to us without CL football.
Toby - Yes, agreed - see above.
Wayama - Celtic midfielder, cheap fee, easy to get.
Sissoko - Expensive fee, but come on - middling player for a relegated side, hardly out of our reach.
Sanchez - Unexpected, but out of our reach? Seems unlikely.
Aurier - Eh. Wasn't a great replacement for Walker even when he was bought, felt 'bargain-bin'.
Llorente - backup striker from relegated side. Easily achievable for us.
Ndombele - Yes, agreed.
Lo Celso - Eh. Will we really struggle when targeting someone from Real Betis? Seems unlikely.

VDV, Lamela, Paulinho, Son, Toby, Ndombele. Those are the real 'surprising' signings post-2009 that seemed to be a reach in terms of ambition and effort. Others were all meh - we could probably have got them anyway.

I don’t think we should ever sign a player that’s a surprise, signings should be obvious, to fill a need, to improve on what we have, the only one on my list who surprised me, and who then proved me wrong was Sissoko.

I could go through that list again and justify every single one as logical, and that’s what a transfer policy should deliver.

You know who did used to spring surprise signings that made no squad sense but delivered “big names”, Sugar, and how well did we do under him?

Id rather we sign players with potential, than with past, and under ENIC we’ve excelled at that, it was working perfectly up until around 12 months ago.

I’ll go through a couple because I can’t resist, how many trophies do Scheniderlein and Stambouli have since then, pretty obvious who the better player was imo. Vorm, only a backup keeper when he came to us, had been first choice in the PL for years beforehand. Tripps came in and at the very worst was on equal terms with Walker in the season they had together.

Ultimately, I don’t think more than a handful of players in the world are beyond us any more, we dragged ourselves to the top of the mountain.

Bloody marvelous, since Pooch/Levy has lifted our club into one of the best teams in the country and into the CLF all the Levy haters/doubters have gone back into the cubby holes.

Now we are having a bad run they have emerged from hiding to bitch about him again.

I don’t think we should ever sign a player that’s a surprise, signings should be obvious, to fill a need, to improve on what we have, the only one on my list who surprised me, and who then proved me wrong was Sissoko.

I could go through that list again and justify every single one as logical, and that’s what a transfer policy should deliver.

You know who did used to spring surprise signings that made no squad sense but delivered “big names”, Sugar, and how well did we do under him?

Id rather we sign players with potential, than with past, and under ENIC we’ve excelled at that, it was working perfectly up until around 12 months ago.

I’ll go through a couple because I can’t resist, how many trophies do Scheniderlein and Stambouli have since then, pretty obvious who the better player was imo. Vorm, only a backup keeper when he came to us, had been first choice in the PL for years beforehand. Tripps came in and at the very worst was on equal terms with Walker in the season they had together.

Ultimately, I don’t think more than a handful of players in the world are beyond us any more, we dragged ourselves to the top of the mountain.

agree
And @DubaiSpur wanyama came from a flying SCBC at the time not Celtic
I’ll add that Son wasn’t a big name before we brought him (well not over here) and his fee imo raised a Few eyebrows

Poch turned down Maddison, Brooks and Tielemans recently.
Levy has never had a problem bringing in these types of young players.
Poch is very choosey.

Tottenham got exactly the players they agreed to target at the end of last season and leaked to the press that they wanted:

From 31st May https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/fo...l-levy-says-mauricio-pochettino-a4156216.html
"Their transfer targets include Giovani Lo Celso of Real Betis, Lyon's Tanguy Ndombele, Leeds' Jack Clarke and Fulham's Ryan and Steven Sessegnon."

Back