• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

sustained growth is what we all want.

How will finishing - at best - midtable help achieve the sustained growth we want? Yesterday told me that the players have no belief if what they are being asked to do.

In order to finish comfortably in mid table we’d need quite a considerable upturn in form. I think other than Southampton and Norwich were the easiest team to beat at the moment.

It’s been absolutely ages since we’ve beaten a decent side. If hadn’t had big slices of luck you could argue that we could quite easily have lost to Watford, Villa and Southampton in addition to Brighton and Saudi Sportswashing Machine.

We’re dropping like a fudging stone and I have absolutely no idea where the next three points are coming from. We are simply woeful. A dreadful side at the moment.

Disagree with a lot of this, but I do appreciate your viewpoint.

I don't mean to sound like I'm dictating to you how you should support the club either. My view is only how support would look in my ideal world.

Apologies if it felt that way.

It didn’t.

I would be totally behind your idea of support, in full agreement ‘if’ he hadn’t talked about leaving his position in the run up to the biggest game in our history,

again something which upset me deeply and followed it up with such a poor white flag waving final display.

I cannot forgive this...unless of course he wins it this year...more fuel for Parklane’s views that were all a bit fickle.

That’s where we are, but thanks for that...a part of me wants poch to turn things round, but it’s getting weaker after every disappointing performance.

Last edited:
The fact that this is Poch's only really blip in over five years.
What does blip mean exactly? Last seasons amazing CL run masked the fact that our league form at the back end of the season was pretty poor, even if we somehow scraped 4th. I feel sorry for Poch, he hasn't had the support he needs from the Chairman, but as someone else said, now he is teetering on the brink.

A "blip" is temporary, IMO. A short downturn in form, for example.

Whatever is going on now is not a blip IMO. Not sure what youd call it, but I suspect looking for an appropriate term/definition will be a rather depressing exercise.

In order to finish comfortably in mid table we’d need quite a considerable upturn in form. I think other than Southampton and Norwich were the easiest team to beat at the moment.

It’s been absolutely ages since we’ve beaten a decent side. If hadn’t had big slices of luck you could argue that we could quite easily have lost to Watford, Villa and Southampton in addition to Brighton and Saudi Sportswashing Machine.

We’re dropping like a fudging stone and I have absolutely no idea where the next three points are coming from. We are simply woeful. A dreadful side at the moment.

blunt and harsh, but absolutely true.

Great post. If we're moving to a possession based game and this is it, it's brainless. Saudi Sportswashing Machine was a prime example of why we can't play it. We were so slow to do anything and you could see they didn't have to be good to defend against it, they just had to be willing to get into position. They're a very poor team and for 90 mins, we barely troubled them despite having loads of possession.

We're at our best when we attack at pace. We proved that over several years and even the RSB home game this year showed that it still applies. Having a fella like Ndombele, with his quick forward passes is ideal for the game we should be playing.
Having watched Ndombele and latterly Lo Celso move the ball quickly and aggressively, does it look like we are going to play a possession based game?

Equally with a bit of luck we could have got three points at Leicester, Arsenal and Everton. Being a bit more clinical in the first half we could have got a result against Munich. This season has been strange. Attitude wise we are all over the place, if we fall behind we seem unable to get back in front and we have lost our ability to keep going and nick late goals. It does have the feeling of a team in transition.

You're right we need to improve and quckly but there are signs we are moving in that direction. Dele has looked good in the past 2 games. Sanchez is getting back to his best, Kane and Son are scoring. Ndombele and Lo Celso look like very good players capable of knitting the attack together. We need Vertonghen back alongside Sanchez and we need an upgrade on Sissoko in the double pivot.

I don't feel as gloomy as you. Genuinely if we can get Ndombele and Lo Celso playing I feel we will be fine. We need to remove the deadwood and bring in either a defensive midfielder or a centre back. But I don't believe it is terminal.

A "blip" is temporary, IMO. A short downturn in form, for example.

Whatever is going on now is not a blip IMO. Not sure what youd call it, but I suspect looking for an appropriate term/definition will be a rather depressing exercise.
It's been going on long enough to call a trend.

Someone more pessimistic might call it a negative spiral.

A true pessimist might refer to it as doing a Southampton.

Liverpool prove the point so well about how it's not necessary to play football in this league to win games.

Poch should take fudging notes
I don't understand this, are you claiming Liverpool don't play football? Do you think what we've been serving up is anywhere near comparable to them?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Fapatalk

Having watched Ndombele and latterly Lo Celso move the ball quickly and aggressively, does it look like we are going to play a possession based game?
It looks very much like two quality individuals playing as their skills suggest but says nothing of the team shape and system because there doesn't appear to be one. We look like a bunch of directionless individuals.

I don't understand this, are you claiming Liverpool don't play football? Do you think what we've been serving up is anywhere near comparable to them?

I think he meant the possession game
I mean the second goal was brilliant passing

I think he meant the possession game
I mean the second goal was brilliant passing
Exactly, there some weird myth on this forum whereby Liverpool just hoof the ball or have a crap midfield and it's nonesense. I'm obviously no Liverpool fan but the quality of their football is so obvious that I can only think it is the writings of bitter Spurs superfans who can't see what is in front of them.

In addition to that Liverpool have the 2nd highest possession stats in the league.

I'm not denying the quality of their football.

What I am saying is that a slow possession game is unnecessary and unsuited for this league. City can play it because of the quality of player, but when up against a good aggressive quick team they continually struggle.

We have nowhere near their quality, so us trying to play a slow possession game makes even less sense, cause we are in no way good enough to do it.

Exactly, there some weird myth on this forum whereby Liverpool just hoof the ball or have a crap midfield and it's nonesense. I'm obviously no Liverpool fan but the quality of their football is so obvious that I can only think it is the writings of bitter Spurs superfans who can't see what is in front of them.

In addition to that Liverpool have the 2nd highest possession stats in the league.

They do hoof the ball
But their full backs are better passers than anyone in their team
That left to right switch is scary
Neither is great defensively mind but their attacking is exceptional

What I am saying is that a slow possession game is unnecessary and unsuited for this league. City can play it because of the quality of player, but when up against a good aggressive quick team they continually struggle.

We have nowhere near their quality, so us trying to play a slow possession game makes even less sense, cause we are in no way good enough to do it.

Sheffield United played with the right amount of pace and aggression and it put them on the front foot

In that respect I agree with you completely, we don't have the players to play the slow tempo passing game or least haven't had them. Maybe this summer's additions were in such a style in mind but those alone are not enough to play that game when every other position is lacking the right kind of attributes.

If it was a 1 off I would tend to side with you, but it’s not and he seems ok with it as he tends to stick with the same players who are producing the same style.

When he first came in he wasn’t happy with the attitude/tempo/press so he binned those players off for players like Mason.

But i thought one of the most mentioned moans about Poch is how he keeps changing the team on a week to week basis?. Now none of us REALLY know what is going on but maybe he keeps making changes because he can see that some of the players are going through the motions.

But i thought one of the most mentioned moans about Poch is how he keeps changing the team on a week to week basis?. Now none of us REALLY know what is going on but maybe he keeps making changes because he can see that some of the players are going through the motions.

If 80% of them are going through the motions, then Poch is not doing it right. The majority have been brick.

Back