• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT Tottenham Hotspur v Sheffield United

Man of the match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
That's enough Spurs for two weeks.

I'll be watching world beaters today McGoldrick, Egan, Stevens and Robinson looking like absolute brick looking for Ireland.

Enjoy watching Kane tinkling all over whoever England are playing.

Are you watching game of the day on Sky? Dele looked absolutely p1ssed and shocked to get the hook, and watching the preceding 10 mins in which he made 4 clean passes behind their defence you can understand why. Such a strange sub.

It was a terrible move by Poch and again, I can only hope it was some misguided attempt to protect his fitness? I personally think he should’ve played on and the club withdrawn him from international duty with a “strain”...

It was a terrible move by Poch and again, I can only hope it was some misguided attempt to protect his fitness? I personally think he should’ve played on and the club withdrawn him from international duty with a “strain”...
Wouldn’t Dele have to have been selected internationally first, in order for him to be withdrawn?

He’s got two weeks sat on his arse now.

Wouldn’t Dele have to have been selected internationally first, in order for him to be withdrawn?

He’s got two weeks sat on his arse now.

Ah. Yes. That would’ve helped that idea I suppose. Makes the sub even weirder!

One of these teams played in the Champions League final a few months ago whilst the other were playing in the Championship o_O

That's a very good demonstration of how lethargic we looked throughout the game. Half-hearted, backing off.
Only one player in that clip - GLC - makes any attempt to win the ball back, by which time they've walked it into practically the final third.

That's a very good demonstration of how lethargic we looked throughout the game. Half-hearted, backing off.
Only one player in that clip - GLC - makes any attempt to win the ball back, by which time they've walked it into practically the final third.

Part of our 'low tempo first half, come out all guns blazing second half' tactic so I'm told.

Get with the program.

The big issue with the team for me is the quality of our fullbacks. They are so important to the way we want to play and ours just aren't good enough. It gives us less options when playing out from the back, when trying to play possession in midfield and makes us easy to defend against because you can afford to go narrow.

Agreed. But then why not bring on Sessegnon?

At the risk of sounding like a cop out, that's really not my job.

Even so, as an example,we could sit in with a solid defensive line and play more on the break.

We have the players for a counter attacking set up.

Perhaps more of a 4141 with a solid defense and DM, and then an attacking 5 let off the hook?

Point is, regardless, it's on Poch to find solutions to create an effective team.

It is, imo, a flimflam thing to excuse him for playing a team that doesn't work because he doesn't have the players for his preference

And furthermore, we have bought 26 players during Poch's reign as manager. If we don't have the right players, who's fault is that?

Agreed. But then why not bring on Sessegnon?

I'm not sure it would've aided his integration into the side. I'm sure he'll end up at LB for us but I think that most of his appearances will be further forward to start with.

is it just me? Or are we steadily going backwards?

Sadly we all know that it is the truth. Brilliant players, poor team, recipe for -at absolute best - several places above the bottom 3

NDombele and GLC should have been on the bench after their exertions in Europe!
Seeing players break down like NDombele yesterday is a big concern for me.
So many look very fragile.

I'm not sure it would've aided his integration into the side. I'm sure he'll end up at LB for us but I think that most of his appearances will be further forward to start with.

And therein lies the problem. We just don't have a side to be integrated into. Best play three centrebacks with Sess at left wingback and told to " run about a bit" !

The playing group need to take their share of the blame for our current situation.. Poch can't legislate for a total lack of effort. Sobering to watch in isolation.

NDombele and GLC should have been on the bench after their exertions in Europe!
Seeing players break down like NDombele yesterday is a big concern for me.
So many look very fragile.

That is a huge issue. Why are all our players absolutely dead on their feet? The season has only just started and they had a summer off. What the fudge is going on? Why has Kane absolutely had it?

Watching their (allowed) goal again, it is crystal clear that a left side CB is vital. I would think one of the reasons Sessegnon won't play in games like today is that throwing him in without a left-sided CB there just adds to the pressure? Just a thought. Dier and Davies both get caught covering the wrong man but tragically Davies then tries to get back out rather than stay inside and let Dier try to close that gap down. I think it stems from non-natural left-sided CB...

With the players at his disposal currently. Wouldn't it make more sense to play Davies there . Maybe in a three with Dier and Sanchez. Then we could play with two primarily attacking wing backs such as Sess on the left and Aurier/Foyth/KWP on the right.

This would solidify our frail central defence and allow much greater attacking freedom to our wingbacks to do what they do best.

Two problems solved with one tactical change and getting players in their more natural positions,

Surely in any line of work it is the managers job to make sure players are motivated and doing their jobs to the best of their ability?

Why is a lack of effort not Pochs responsibility?

It's his responsibility, I never said it wasn't. However it's also up to the players to actually do their very well paid jobs, at a minimum passable level.

It's just as likely Poch did it for tactical reasons. I noticed when Foyth came on he seemed to be occupying a centralish position as if he had been added to try and shore up the midfield which was the most part being overrun. The direct sub for Dele supports that logic. Foyth is arguably that adaptable that he could play DM I've said before I wouldn't be against seeing him there and I think deffo think that is what Poch briefly tried out and then when Aurier was taken off Foyth moved out to RB.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Fapatalk

It's just as likely Poch did it for tactical reasons. I noticed when Foyth came on he seemed to be occupying a centralish position as if he had been added to try and shore up the midfield which was the most part being overrun. The direct sub for Dele supports that logic. Foyth is arguably that adaptable that he could play DM I've said before I wouldn't be against seeing him there and I think deffo think that is what Poch briefly tried out and then when Aurier was taken off Foyth moved out to RB.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Fapatalk

Yep, I’d say he’s odd enough to play a young centre half in midfield. After all, we had to sit and watch with horror on multiple occasions last season as Danny Rose was deployed in central midfield !!!

It's his responsibility, I never said it wasn't. However it's also up to the players to actually do their very well paid jobs, at a minimum passable level.

Not easy to do your job if you are not getting clear instructions from your boss as to what they want. That uncertainty would be compounded by them changing their mind every 20 minutes and demanding something different.

I wouldn’t find it easy to produce my best work in such an environment, irrespective of the specific context.

Back