• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Davinson Sanchez

Only saw the brief motd highlights. Two bits involved Sanchez, one where he failed to cut out a cross that went through his legs from 20 yards away and the other where he got the wrong side of Mousset who should have scored. There is a good player there for 70-80% of the game but always seems to make basic errors whenever I've seen him for the full 90 minutes. For the £42m we paid I expected a better player, still young with time to improve so hopefully he does.

Only saw the brief motd highlights. Two bits involved Sanchez, one where he failed to cut out a cross that went through his legs from 20 yards away and the other where he got the wrong side of Mousset who should have scored. There is a good player there for 70-80% of the game but always seems to make basic errors whenever I've seen him for the full 90 minutes. For the £42m we paid I expected a better player, still young with time to improve so hopefully he does.

I think you make a good point but he is still a kid ( 23) and will improve the more he plays. As for the amount of transfer fee he cost in todays game money is thrown about and its not always a measure of how good/bad a player is.

He did also have some very good moments yesterday (MOTD highlights as you say were very brief). If we are effectively binning off Toby and Jan (although the latter is injured it would seem rather then dropped), then this could/should be the making of Sanchez. By end of season we should know whether or not he can cut it.

I'd still rather he played than Toby, at least he will be here and developing. He's generally pretty solid though can be out of position which makes him rash in the recovery - hopefully that's just him learning but we'll know in a season or two whether he's destined for the top level or not. I personally don't think so but he still has enough potential to be a very good CB and easily part of a squad that regularly contests for trophies.

Against Sheff Utd, Sanchez played right and Dier played left.
Sanchez almost never passed it forwards, it isn't his forte... he passed to Dier.

Dier was then pushed onto his left side and started trying to pass forwards with his weaker left foot.
Then Dier is the one who gets criticised!

On last drink saloon... Jose already highlighted how he saw him as the weak link of the Ajax defence in the Europa final. Still commits at least one howler every game and demonstrated (if this was necessary) that he is simply unable to concentrate and mark a physical player. Antonio tinkled all over him in the second half and the Spammers second goal showed all his deficits. Tried to wrestle with Ogbonna instead of marking the defender.... which - always - ends up with one outcome. The opponent wriggles free and Sanchez is left there like an idiot staring at the ground...

I truly hope Jose can do what would be a miracle but I strongly suspect he will go the way of Bailly...

Yeah it seems to be a weird trait of his - thinking he’s stronger than he is. Whenever he’s up against a strong opponent he always seems to go out of his way to have a physical battle with them... it’s odd in the first place, but even more odd that he’s still doing it.

We have not seen the best of him yet, but as i have said before he is only 23 and still has a lot of improvement to come.

This is at least somewhat knee-jerk so feel free to ridicule now or in the future when proven wrong.

I'm getting sick and tired of watching how poor he's on the ball. He has other flaws, but this one stands out as one that will be very difficult to improve on. In fairness it looks worse next to Alderweireld and Vertonghen who are in different ways excellent footballers, but he's just not at the level required.

Perhaps we can build around that weakness. Vertonghen or Alderweireld and in the future another top notch ball player next to him. Get rid of central midfielders that aren't up to scratch on the ball, same with full backs, a goalkeeper with good distribution, always playing a target man.

I just don't understand why we spent that kind of money on a young player with such an obvious weakness. We can spend years improving him only for him still to fall short, or for his very presence to dictate our transfers and lineups for years to come. He can't even head the ball accurately.

Right now I'd happily see us sell him and losing money if anyone would pay up. He's got great talent, I just don't think he has what we need.

This is at least somewhat knee-jerk so feel free to ridicule now or in the future when proven wrong.

I'm getting sick and tired of watching how poor he's on the ball. He has other flaws, but this one stands out as one that will be very difficult to improve on. In fairness it looks worse next to Alderweireld and Vertonghen who are in different ways excellent footballers, but he's just not at the level required.

Perhaps we can build around that weakness. Vertonghen or Alderweireld and in the future another top notch ball player next to him. Get rid of central midfielders that aren't up to scratch on the ball, same with full backs, a goalkeeper with good distribution, always playing a target man.

I just don't understand why we spent that kind of money on a young player with such an obvious weakness. We can spend years improving him only for him still to fall short, or for his very presence to dictate our transfers and lineups for years to come. He can't even head the ball accurately.

Right now I'd happily see us sell him and losing money if anyone would pay up. He's got great talent, I just don't think he has what we need.
His fee arguably isn’t much money in the modern game so is less of a concern for me (Everton paid similar for Keane and he is awful)
His pace looks to be back too
The issue comes though is he is passing to another player with limited passing ability which creates a knock on with no one wanting the ball

Back