• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

VAR: Sponsored by Chelsea

IMO they didn't spend three minutes discussing if it was handball or not, but whether they could just ignore the whole thing as the Everton player is clearly elbowing Alli and climbing all over him.

They seem to spend the time deciding what decision will cause them 1) to look like good refs 2) cause the least hassle.

Perhaps if this thread reaches 100 pages they'll discard this useless piece of brick system. I can't believe what I'm seeing.

They spend minutes watching endless replays of a situation with absolutely no chance of making a 400% clear cut decision whether it was a handball or not. They let the ref punish a rash, but unspectacular challenge extremely harshly because of a freak injury, yet seemingly do nothing about it afterwards. The offside decision from yesterday...Firminho's armpit, really?

It's a useless, expensive, time consuming, unwanted and frankly ridiculous system. The perfect example of what you get when clueless idiots with no apparent knowledge of football - definitely without knowledge of what football fans have wanted for a decade - finally gets pressured into action, creating a monstrously poor system with ambigious and complex rules that no one understands, and everyone can interpret either way they see fit.

The most spectacular fail in the history of football.

The problem with it is that they are only overturning decisions were there is a clear error. Rather than using video to get them right. We should've got a penalty for the foul on Son, it wasn't a clear error but if the ref sees the video angle first time he gives the penalty.

Personally this season has just reinforced to me that football has abnormally large grey areas in assessing whether something constitutes a foul, meaning that VAR is just fundamentally doomed.

E.g. Taking the 3 penalty decisions from last night - personally I think the Sanchez and Alli ones were penalties, and that the Son one probably wasn’t. But I’ve no doubt that lots of people would disagree with me, meaning that whatever decision VAR came to loads of people would disagree with it and say it was a brick show.

Football is a quasi-contact sport, and I think it’s impossible to a) clearly stipulate precisely how much contact is legal, and at which point it becomes illegal, and b) see precisely how much contact there was in any given incident and measure it accurately against that scale. And it’s made even more impossible now that players react in an exaggerated way to virtually every bit of contact, like Son last night. You can’t actually tell how much he was or wasn’t impeded because he throws himself to the ground.

(I also think VAR is being implemented badly, but even if it was being implemented well I think it would be doomed).

Perhaps if this thread reaches 100 pages they'll discard this useless piece of brick system. I can't believe what I'm seeing.

They spend minutes watching endless replays of a situation with absolutely no chance of making a 400% clear cut decision whether it was a handball or not. They let the ref punish a rash, but unspectacular challenge extremely harshly because of a freak injury, yet seemingly do nothing about it afterwards. The offside decision from yesterday...Firminho's armpit, really?

It's a useless, expensive, time consuming, unwanted and frankly ridiculous system. The perfect example of what you get when clueless idiots with no apparent knowledge of football - definitely without knowledge of what football fans have wanted for a decade - finally gets pressured into action, creating a monstrously poor system with ambigious and complex rules that no one understands, and everyone can interpret either way they see fit.

The most spectacular fail in the history of football.

Could not agree me, its a fudging joke and was always going to be.

Personally this season has just reinforced to me that football has abnormally large grey areas in assessing whether something constitutes a foul, meaning that VAR is just fundamentally doomed.

E.g. Taking the 3 penalty decisions from last night - personally I think the Sanchez and Alli ones were penalties, and that the Son one probably wasn’t. But I’ve no doubt that lots of people would disagree with me, meaning that whatever decision VAR came to loads of people would disagree with it and say it was a brick show.

Football is a quasi-contact sport, and I think it’s impossible to a) clearly stipulate precisely how much contact is legal, and at which point it becomes illegal, and b) see precisely how much contact there was in any given incident and measure it accurately against that scale. And it’s made even more impossible now that players react in an exaggerated way to virtually every bit of contact, like Son last night. You can’t actually tell how much he was or wasn’t impeded because he throws himself to the ground.

(I also think VAR is being implemented badly, but even if it was being implemented well I think it would be doomed).
I said the same a few years ago when they started talking about introducing it. VAR is fine for black and white decisions like in and out of play and offside (although they’ve somehow managed to fudge some of these up as well), but a lot of decisions in open play are debatable even after a few replays.

I will go back to my original point. 98% + decisions by refs were correct, is all this worth it for the extra 2%? Like some have said is it even possible based on how football is to have all decisions correct.

Lets get rid, go back to the way is was and empower the refs.

I will go back to my original point. 98% + decisions by refs were correct, is all this worth it for the extra 2%? Like some have said is it even possible based on how football is to have all decisions correct.

Lets get rid, go back to the way is was and empower the refs.

We live in hope, sadly i believe those in power who said it would enhance the game will not want to lose face and it will continue to be the farce it is.

The VAR should be required to give a verdict on offside within 60 seconds. If by then he is still not sure then it's too close to call so the decision should be 'not offside.'

All this playing back and forth with replays is sheer nonsense. Football is meant to be something you enjoy not suffer, so ffs just make a decision and get on with the game, put us all out of our misery.

I think they were both ludicrous. The Son one was so crucial. Had we got that one we would have gone 2-0 up, probably gone on to win the game, got the away win monkey off our backs and perhaps built some confidence. Instead Leicester are the ones who have not looked back.
Exactly and don’t forget the penalty on Kane vs newcatsle when Lecselles heads Kane’s legs ...

two massive ones that can changed your momentum straught away

IMO today’s is a goal, as was Aurier vs Leiceter

I think they were both ludicrous. The Son one was so crucial. Had we got that one we would have gone 2-0 up, probably gone on to win the game, got the away win monkey off our backs and perhaps built some confidence. Instead Leicester are the ones who have not looked back.
Suppose the old adage about decisions evening out over the duration of a season applies to VAR too, as had Sheffield equalised so quickly that may have given them the momentum to go on and win today.

Back