• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT Tottenham Hotspur v Sheffield United

Man of the match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but dier in defence was always going to be a disaster.

Bad enough Aurier is getting so much game time.

Sheffield Utd showed us up for what we really are- a tinkle poor team. Poch will blame it on the poor confidence but the problem is he doesn’t appear to be able to re ignite that confidence. The players are also to blame for not busting a guy anymore for Poch

Think Levy will sack poch if we are just above the relegation zone?

I’m not saying we are guaranteed to win through the strategy, I am simply saying that the tempo we play at is often something that is dictated by the coach, and the extent to which they like and rate players is dictated by how well players follow instructions in that regard.

talk to some top level coaches and see what they say. I promise you I’m not making it up or assuming things. And I’m not saying it means guaranteed wins, I’m simply saying it’s pretty obvious when we are being tasked with playing a high tempo versus not.

I don’t think we were great second half, we are making baby steps after the nadir of Brighton and we definitely need to start picking up League wins. But the tempo was higher. That’s all I’m saying. I’m not trying to offend fans by saying that coaches make decisions based on data and considerations that they may not be making.

I actually agree. In parts.

The manager obviously tells them to play like that. The problem being we're not good enough to play a low tempo game. Never have been.

Which is on the manager.

Actually thought Dele and GLC were on it 2nd half and had started to push them back. The sub ruined us.
I agree with this. Dele made some nice incisive passing. It lead to our goal. Sissoko whilst not doing anything wrong was not adding anything to the team.
Dier always looks dodgy at center back, and that is normally in a three. Let alone a pair with him on his unnatural left. Comes back to playing players in their best positions so they can perform to their best. I think playing Davies there would have made more sense.

I’m not saying we are guaranteed to win through the strategy, I am simply saying that the tempo we play at is often something that is dictated by the coach, and the extent to which they like and rate players is dictated by how well players follow instructions in that regard.

talk to some top level coaches and see what they say. I promise you I’m not making it up or assuming things. And I’m not saying it means guaranteed wins, I’m simply saying it’s pretty obvious when we are being tasked with playing a high tempo versus not.

I don’t think we were great second half, we are making baby steps after the nadir of Brighton and we definitely need to start picking up League wins. But the tempo was higher. That’s all I’m saying. I’m not trying to offend fans by saying that coaches make decisions based on data and considerations that they may not be making.

I only caught the second half but if the tempo was higher in the second half than the first half, we must have been bloody atrocious in the first half.

I don't buy your theory. We were muck because they forced us to be muck. And for me, if Sheffield United can force you to be that bad at home through their sheer hard work and organisation, that raises some serious questions of our team and management who, man for man, are better than them and we had home advantage.

I honestly think you're overthinking this and seeing something that really isn't there.

he is a top top coach
Not sexy because he is English and grey haired but he knows how to get a team to play

Agreed. I hope he either wins something with Sheffield or takes a step up to Everton/Saudi Sportswashing Machine/Leicester (when Rodgers moves on) and wins something there. Been too long since we've had a genuinely good English manager, and Wilder is the first one I've seen in a while that really impresses me. Not chances like Howe or one-trick ponies like Allardyce, but a really tactical, proactive, talented manager.

I think our fans fail to realise that a lot of our first halves our slower tempo before we up it in the second. We can debate whether we like this or not, but I think it’s a pretty clear strategy.

against Bayern (to use an extreme example) we created loads of chances in a first half by pressing high and a fast tempo. We clearly aren’t doing it in the first half of a League game of which there are many. Sometimes we might press high and play fast in the first half, particularly if a team is known to be solid at defending (Palace) but I fully expect us to up the tempo this half and look like a different team.

the players were noticeably and routinely taking the slower tempo option. I think it’s by design.
[emoji38][emoji38][emoji38][emoji38][emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Fapatalk

I only caught the second half but if the tempo was higher in the second half than the first half, we must have been bloody atrocious in the first half.

I don't buy your theory. We were muck because they forced us to be muck. And for me, if Sheffield United can force you to be that bad at home through their sheer hard work and organisation, that raises some serious questions of our team and management who, man for man, are better than them and we had home advantage.

I honestly think you're overthinking this and seeing something that really isn't there.

Ok, you didn’t watch the game and you’re calling what I’m saying - which is in no way controversial or a stretch at all - a theory. Fine. Byeeeeeee

Ok, you didn’t watch the game and you’re calling what I’m saying - which is in no way controversial or a stretch at all - a theory. Fine. Byeeeeeee

I saw the second half which was utter turd. You said you thought that we'd deliberately slowed the tempo first half with a view to raising it second half (I'm paraphrasing but correct me if I haven't got the jist of hit).

On the basis of seeing an utterly awful second half performance, I don't think anything I've posted is unfair or guesswork.

The big issue with the team for me is the quality of our fullbacks. They are so important to the way we want to play and ours just aren't good enough. It gives us less options when playing out from the back, when trying to play possession in midfield and makes us easy to defend against because you can afford to go narrow.

The big issue with the team for me is the quality of our fullbacks. They are so important to the way we want to play and ours just aren't good enough. It gives us less options when playing out from the back, when trying to play possession in midfield and makes us easy to defend against because you can afford to go narrow.
Very true
Serge didn’t do anything wrong but nothing of note right

Davies was poor with the ball and without it thought he was CB

your definitely a brainy fella but sometimes it’s easy to over complicate something that really is quite simple.

The players begin 1st halves slow for a variety of reasons, I’m pretty sure this run of bad performances and results is in no way part of some grand scheme of poch which will finish with us riding into the sunset.

There has been too many changes from the manager, his core message has been lost, the players don’t fully believe in him anymore...more plausible reasons for why we start games slowly and in poor fashion, though our second halves aren’t much better, look at all the leads we have surrendered.

you can write algorithms and paragraphs galore but bottom line we’re brick, and most of us realise it now thank fudge.

time for mopo, to go go

If you don't have FBs capable of playing the game you need, you really shouldn't set the team up to rely on the FBs. Probably a better idea to find an alternative that actually suits the players at your disposal

Or they are seeing the CL as a shop window

We're a team in transition. Our fullbacks aren't good enough, Dier is still playing his way back into form, Kane looked knackered today and can no longer press like he did a couple of years back and N'Dombele struggled with the pace and physicality of the game today. Red Star gave us too much respect and allowed us to play.

Back