• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Christian Eriksen

What tinkles me off is that he's a fantastic player and he's letting us and himself down with his current performances. his own professional pride should drive him to give his best in every game rather than dialling them in.
This exactly.

it’s not a witch hunt, we all know how good he used to be.

Point is he doesn’t want to be here, and is showing that on the pitch. Therefore there are two good reasons he shouldn’t be on the pitch.

When he plays, to my eyes, it also seems like the whole team gets dragged down with him.

Without him we’re so much better. And as a fan of everything he’s been for 5 years, he’s ready to go and we’re ready to let him.

Agreed Jon. Eriksen was absolutely brilliant for years. But for the last x months he has been pap and getting worse.

He is now so insular, so quiet, so introverted, so unlike Peak Eriksen, I wonder if he is suffering psychologically and is depressed on some level.

Agreed Jon. Eriksen was absolutely brilliant for years. But for the last x months he has been pap and getting worse.

He is now so insular, so quiet, so introverted, so unlike Peak Eriksen, I wonder if he is suffering psychologically and is depressed on some level.

I absolutely think you’re right. It is sad.

Its funny really that when Kane scored a goal through the legs of a defender ( in the first leg) a lot of fans wet them selfs about how great a goal it was. Now Eriksen has done the same ( and he did mean it) it was a fluke. :rolleyes: Sad state of affairs that a player who has been so good for us over the past five years is now abused so easily by many, so many fans who feel they have been scorned, its sad really.

Best post i have read since this sad slagging off of one of our best players over the last five years reared its head. Who said fans are not fickle.

Before any one gets their nickers in a twist about me saying that i know he has not been playing well but we have several players who have been doing the same for a while.

Really fair post, ditto Junior’s. Well said gents.

Nowadays it is jarring seeing Eriksen slot that freekick in the top corner, and slot such an incisive, cutting finish, wrong footing the keeper. What a great couple of goals.

I still don't go along with the 'he's not trying because he doesn't want to be here' narrative. Like everyone else I have been exasperated at the way he has been playing but for me it's just too simplistic to jump to the conclusion he is deliberately short-changing us.

Call me naive but I simply refuse to accept that Eriksen is that type of bloke. Anyone who has watched him closely over these past five or six years must surely know that is just not the man. Distracted he may be but lazy and dishonest he is not. For me it just does not compute.

My worry is that there may be something more serious going on with him. That, Just as @Bullet suspects, he is suffering from some form of depression brought about by the way his decision to eschew a new contract and start looking elsewhere seems to have so seriously backfired on him.

Especially as it has resulted in many of the fans turning on him. For someone who has given so much to the club for what nowadays is considered a long time, that must hurt badly.

Depression is one of those things that you may be unaware you are suffering from. And even when you do become aware, you are probably going to do your level best to conceal it.

But to the narrative that he has simply given up trying, my suspicion is that the exact opposite may be the case: that he is actually trying too hard.

Maybe because his mind is so perversely trapped in the vortex of depression, the harder he tries, the more he struggles. Energy and control suffers whilst mistakes increase when the mind is battling too many misgivings and preoccupations.

It annihilates clear-headedness.

Of course I could be totally barking up the wrong tree (or maybe just plain barking :D) but whatever it is that is going on with him, it is happening under the intense gaze of the media and the fans, and that is only ever going to make matters worse.

Poch came out midweek doing his best to stroke his ego with extraordinary statements along the lines that he is just as good now as he's ever been. We all know that is utter rubbish and so no doubt does Poch, but why not give it a try?

Who knows it might just do the trick.

Sadly I'm not holding my breath.

Last edited:
I still don't go along with the 'he's not trying because he doesn't want to be here' narrative. Like everyone else I have been exasperated at the way he has been playing but for me it's just too simplistic to jump to the conclusion he is deliberately short-changing us.

Call me naive but I simply refuse to accept that Eriksen is that type of bloke. Anyone who has watched him closely over these past five or six years must surely know that is just not the man. Distracted he may be but lazy and dishonest he is not. For me it just does not compute.

My worry is that there may be something more serious going on with him. That, Just as @Bullet suspects, he is suffering from some form of depression bought about by the way his decision to eschew a new contract and start looking elsewhere seems to have so seriously backfired on him.

Especially as it has resulted in many of the fans turning on him. For someone who has given so much to the club for what nowadays is considered a long time, that must hurt badly.

Depression is one of those things that you may be unaware you are suffering from. And even when you do become aware, you are probably going to do your level best to conceal it.

But to the narrative that he has simply given up trying, my suspicion is that the exact opposite may be the case: that he is actually trying too hard.

Maybe because his mind is so perversely trapped in the vortex of depression, the harder he tries, the more he struggles. Energy and control suffers whilst mistakes increase when the mind is battling too many misgivings and preoccupations.

Of course I could be totally barking up the wrong tree (or maybe just plain barking :D) but whatever it is that is going on with him, it is happening under the intense gaze of the media and the fans, and that is only ever going to make matters worse.

Poch came out midweek doing his best to stroke his ego with extraordinary statements along the lines that he is just as good now as he's ever been. We all know that is utter rubbish and so no doubt does Poch, but why not give it a try?

A very interesting take, one I hadn’t considered.

As someone who has suffered from depression, I can certainly attest that it can just creep up on you and become all-consuming very quickly from there. It is a horrible disease. If he is indeed suffering, I hope he is able to move forward.

My worry is that there may be something more serious going on with him. That, Just as @Bullet suspects, he is suffering from some form of depression bought about by the way his decision to eschew a new contract and start looking elsewhere seems to have so seriously backfired on him.

This is an interesting take.

If you are correct though would it make sense for him not to be playing, in a usual job he’d be signed off and being asked to perform in front of tens of thousands of people who will react to every touch cannot help the situation?

I have been baying for Eriksen to never play for us again and when I read united would offer 42m for him in Jan I’d drive him up there myself, but now you suggest it it’s made me think of a couple of friends who have been signed off work in the past and I don’t remember anyone being anything other than supportive.

Ive also read a book on Robert Enke, a very sad story of a professional footballer who suffered with depression.

I find that to believe tbh.
The club will have the players monitored, especially after the Danny Rose claims, and if there's signs depression and in particular signs it's in anyway linked to the club he would be helped.
In these days of litigation and image protection it all seems very unlikely to me.

I find that to believe tbh.
The club will have the players monitored, especially after the Danny Rose claims, and if there's signs depression and in particular signs it's in anyway linked to the club he would be helped.
In these days of litigation and image protection it all seems very unlikely to me.

He probably is being helped and maybe (ok total guess) part of that help is to be included in the team and be playing football, normalisation is a big thing when dealing with mental issues.

Manchester United are preparing foolish bid for Tottenham star

by Rucker Haringey
41 minutes ago

If Manchester United actually offer Tottenham 50 million Euros for Christian Eriksen in January, Ed Woodward should be fired on the spot.

There’s a chance that Christian Eriksen can become an important player for Manchester United. That doesn’t mean Ed Woodward is justified to pay Tottenham £50 million for the Danish midfielder in January.

As a reminder, Eriksen’s contract with Spurs will expire at the end of the 2019/20 campaign. That, in and of itself, is enough reason to push the player’s transfer fee down significantly. The fact that Eriksen is in the midst of his worst season as a professional should really allow United to secure him via a bargain price.

Instead, Eldesmarque reports that United are preparing the large offer to make sure they fend off Real Madrid when the transfer window reopens. The Spanish giants are still keeping tabs on Eriksen, but they’ve given zero indication that they’re willing to make a big offer to secure his services in January.

The real question United officials should be asking themselves is whether or not Eriksen should be a transfer target of theirs at all. Any move for the talented Dane must be based on the assumption that his current run of abysmal form is largely due to his contract situation at Tottenham. Spurs have made several large contract offers to their stylish No. 10, but they are not willing to meet the large wage requirements put forth by the Dane’s representatives.

United evidently believe that the combination of Eriksen and Paul Pogba in the middle of the pitch would be enough to vault their side back into title consideration. That’s the only possible justification for paying such a premium for a player who can be had via a free transfer in several months.

To be very frank, United should be putting their money to better use. Tottenham officials would prefer to send Eriksen outside of England, but they might jump at £50 million no matter where the bid comes from. That should be a very telling sign for officials at Old Trafford.

https://playingfor90.com/2019/11/11...ours-foolish-bid-christian-eriksen-tottenham/

giphy.gif

Back