• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Christian Eriksen

I think this drives at the heart of the mkII Poch has wanted to build, and which was cemented after the insipid CL Final defeat. It is my theory that he realized last season that that side -however much it has achieved- was not going to get across the line when it really counted. Too many near misses. I have often wondered whether he looked at talent like Eriksen , around and through whom he built our creativity, and concluded that for whatever reason, he was not going to get us across the line. And I wonder if looking at the CL Final, and the glorious opportunity it gave us, when he saw the likes of Eriksen unable to find the extra 10% their talent suggests they could find to make the difference, he decided it was time to move in this other direction. More dynamic, 4-3-3 than before? With the sort of drive and creativity Ndombele and Lo Celso can offer, which is quality with great passing but of a different nature to the singular, maestro-esque qualities of Eriksen?

exactly

add in some decent FBs and suddenly it’s a very different dynamic

I don’t. I think the goal was as half arsed as his recent output, and if it wasn’t for the defender shanking it onto target it was barely a shot.

He looked like he didn’t give a monkeys when it went it and his performance was equally as ambivalent.
He had one place to hit that shot, and it was through the legs of the defender. He did just that, and it went in. It wasn't a fluke. Yes it got deflected, but he put the shot the only place he could, and it went in. He was well pleased with it, and did a fist pump immediately, but nothing more, as it was 4-0, and he knows himself that he should play better. As all other players, he needs to build his confidence, and that only comes with succeeding with what you attempt. The goal was one step in that direction.

He had one place to hit that shot, and it was through the legs of the defender. He did just that, and it went in. It wasn't a fluke. Yes it got deflected, but he put the shot the only place he could, and it went in. He was well pleased with it, and did a fist pump immediately, but nothing more, as it was 4-0, and he knows himself that he should play better. As all other players, he needs to build his confidence, and that only comes with succeeding with what you attempt. The goal was one step in that direction.
If you look at the angle behind the goal, he was aiming across the keeper - his eyes and body shape show that. It wasn't a piece of genius, it was actually a tame effort. (Much like Eriksen)
But they all count.

He had one place to hit it because he took 2-3 touches to control it. It was a fairly tame effort from there, I'm not sure it goes in without the deflection.

He probably needs to build his confidence. With the contract situation and his performances I'm not sure it's a good idea to let him play his way back to form at the expense of players that are performing better and have longer contracts.

I remember defending letting Eriksen play his way back to form, I think it was in February last season. He still hasn't found it.

Eriksen has a few areas in which he really excels, unlike say Kane who is good but not great at almost everything. He has an excellent pass - and dares to try them, is very mobile and is always an outlet, is very unselfish, and above all he has genuine world class vision and awareness. He is no tackler, no dribbler, poor in the air, pretty slow and his corner taking is no state secret either. He is first and foremost a distributor, not a ball carrier/mover. He has never been those things, this is nothing new.

But when for whatever reason things don't come off for him, he has no fallback. Because he's so limited in what he does. That makes him look much worse than he really is. When the movement up front stops, when the passes miss by a foot and the players in front of you plays poorly as well, he cannot suddenly turn into a defensive force to make up for it. He cannot carry a team or even the ball from the center circle to the top corner, but he is perhaps one of the world's best complementary players. On form. Conversely, Sissoko who also is a limited player suddenly started, also for whatever reason, to succeed in what he does. Which makes him look better than he really is (though recently I've started to see tiny signs of former cloudy skies). We all know what a Sissoko in Eriksen-mode looks like.

His motivation and drive is gone, and it shows. He still tries to do the same things, but at 80%. And moreover, our attack plan has changed - or rather disappeared. There is little room for Eriksen in a Moura- and Son-attack, where you often do things by yourself instead of making clever runs and moving around and into positions. If you pair Eriksen with a Dembele, with a Kane and pre-FIFA-Alli in front, you have a winner. Now we don't.

Last edited:
He's got a good, hard low pass. Eriksen's range of passing (yes, not recently) is obscene, both feet, one touch, no look, short, long .. we don't have a passer in that class (and no that doesn't mean I'm asking to keep him or play him, just as someone who has been accused of revising history re Poch, I think there is a ton of revision being done now re Eriksen)
I genuinely think from what I've seen in the last year Kane is a better passer than CE.

Eriksen is good and accurate but Kane (similar to Ndombele) has more disguise and delivers 'the final' ball, one perfectly, and two unexpectedly.

Ndombele has a great range of passing... a better range than I expected by some way
Eriksen-sen-sen can be genuinely world class with his when he is on it and is massively under rated (sure his current efforts are helping that re write). But NDomvele can pass and drive with the ball. That’s a massive thing to have
Add in Le Celso who can pass too and we then have two options rather than one (we have been too reliant on eriksens brilliance)

I think this drives at the heart of the mkII Poch has wanted to build, and which was cemented after the insipid CL Final defeat. It is my theory that he realized last season that that side -however much it has achieved- was not going to get across the line when it really counted. Too many near misses. I have often wondered whether he looked at talent like Eriksen , around and through whom he built our creativity, and concluded that for whatever reason, he was not going to get us across the line. And I wonder if looking at the CL Final, and the glorious opportunity it gave us, when he saw the likes of Eriksen unable to find the extra 10% their talent suggests they could find to make the difference, he decided it was time to move in this other direction. More dynamic, 4-3-3 than before? With the sort of drive and creativity Ndombele and Lo Celso can offer, which is quality with great passing but of a different nature to the singular, maestro-esque qualities of Eriksen?

I do think Ndombele and La Celso could be perfect for the two side points in a diamond, and maybe Poch thinks this.

Problem I have is I just hate it as a system... especially without our FB situation rectified.

The other point with having sh.it hot passes, killer passes....is I hope Sonny and Dele's touch is up to quality as both have always been a bit loose (some games more than others). That's why City work it so well as nearly all of them are technically A1.

I do think Ndombele and La Celso could be perfect for the two side points in a diamond, and maybe Poch thinks this.

Problem I have is I just hate it as a system... especially without our FB situation rectified.

The other point with having sh.it hot passes, killer passes....is I hope Sonny and Dele's touch is up to quality as both have always been a bit loose (some games more than others). That's why City work it so well as nearly all of them are technically A1.

it can be a diamond or a 4-3-3
The key is effective passing which we have bend poor at and movement again which we have been poor at
add some quality FBs and suddenly there is a real threat there which we normally have

Ffs, leave the poor bloke alone already.

He just can't get any slack at all these days.
Now he didn't celebrate properly??
I bet if he had jumped in the air, run across the pitch and made a knee-slide towards the fans he would have been shouted at for taking the tinkle, over-celebrating, etc.

Christian Eriksen hasn't suddenly become a poor footballer over the last 6 months, but his confidence and levels have dropped.
We've seen this before, a few years back there was the "mental issue"-rumours when he wasn't playing at his best. But guess what? He recovered, and he was friggin awsome, and for long periods of time, our most important creative player, making us tick.
And guess what? He didn't fly into tackles or win headers then either, and unless we moaned about it then we've got very little right to start now! It is not like he has sat down with Pochettino and gone "listen, gaffer, my passing and creativity seems to be a bit off lately, I think i need to rebrand myself as a midfield enforcer instead.."

Just because it is a fan's prerogative to have a short and selective memory, it is not necessary to go totally apebrick and ditch all coherent

Either we fans like it or not, Christian Eriksen is going to play for Tottenham, at least untill January. Potentially untill June. Or, even longer.
But most definitely this november/december period.
It is totally beyond me what good it would do to keep nagging on minor issues such as not celebrating enough, to much, etc.
If he is leaving this winter, I'd rather have him produce magic for us this december, then turds. So if he builds confidence with a goal, fine. I don't care if it was a fluke of a defender, or a well placed shot, but it was a goal, and that is the end of it.

Criticise him for not signing a contract. Fine. I'm sure it was a tough decision, and probably one he got caught up in.
Have high expectations to him when he plays. Fine. He's got them to!
Be disappointed if he does not fulfill them. Fine. So will he.

But give him at least a lifeline when he does succeed with something, such as the goal yesterday, and be happy about it. He will be. And he (and Pochettino) will also know if his efforts were improving or not.

I genuinely think from what I've seen in the last year Kane is a better passer than CE.

Eriksen is good and accurate but Kane (similar to Ndombele) has more disguise and delivers 'the final' ball, one perfectly, and two unexpectedly.
Different types of passes I'd say. When he hadn't resigned himself to leaving Eriksen would often play first time passes that linked defence with attack in one touch. I haven't seen anyone else play those sorts of passes for us.

Its funny really that when Kane scored a goal through the legs of a defender ( in the first leg) a lot of fans wet them selfs about how great a goal it was. Now Eriksen has done the same ( and he did mean it) it was a fluke. :rolleyes: Sad state of affairs that a player who has been so good for us over the past five years is now abused so easily by many, so many fans who feel they have been scorned, its sad really.

I bet if he had jumped in the air, run across the pitch and made a knee-slide towards the fans he would have been shouted at for taking the tinkle, over-celebrating, etc.

Christian Eriksen hasn't suddenly become a poor footballer over the last 6 months, but his confidence and levels have dropped.
We've seen this before, a few years back there was the "mental issue"-rumours when he wasn't playing at his best. But guess what? He recovered, and he was friggin awsome, and for long periods of time, our most important creative player, making us tick.
And guess what? He didn't fly into tackles or win headers then either, and unless we moaned about it then we've got very little right to start now! It is not like he has sat down with Pochettino and gone "listen, gaffer, my passing and creativity seems to be a bit off lately, I think i need to rebrand myself as a midfield enforcer instead.."

Just because it is a fan's prerogative to have a short and selective memory, it is not necessary to go totally apebrick and ditch all coherent

Either we fans like it or not, Christian Eriksen is going to play for Tottenham, at least untill January. Potentially untill June. Or, even longer.
It is totally beyond me what good it would do to keep nagging on minor issues such as not celebrating enough, to much, etc.
If he is leaving this winter, I'd rather have him produce magic for us this december, then turds. So if he builds confidence with a goal, fine. I don't care if it was a fluke of a defender, or a well placed shot, but it was a goal, and that is the end of it.

Criticise him for not signing a contract. Fine. I'm sure it was a tough decision, and probably one he got caught up in.

But give him at least a lifeline when he does succeed with something, such as the goal yesterday, and be happy about it. He will be. And he (and Pochettino) will also know if his efforts were improving or not.

Best post i have read since this sad slagging off of one of our best players over the last five years reared its head. Who said fans are not fickle.

Before any one gets their nickers in a twist about me saying that i know he has not been playing well but we have several players who have been doing the same for a while.

I don't think he's become a bad player. I just think he's playing badly most of the time.

I will be forever grateful for all the wonderful experiences he's given us, all the hard work, all the impact he's had on the pitch. He's made it quite clear that he doesn't want to be here any longer than he has to. In that situation I don't think he deserves to play his way back to form when there are other players who also need game time to find form, settle in and develop.

He's a fantastic player at his best. This run of poor form has lasted a very long time. He deserves some criticism.

I don't care how he celebrates, but if he's going to play he should give us more reasons to celebrate.

Some of the criticism he gets surely is over the top. Just like just about every other player when not performing.

He's got a good, hard low pass. Eriksen's range of passing (yes, not recently) is obscene, both feet, one touch, no look, short, long .. we don't have a passer in that class (and no that doesn't mean I'm asking to keep him or play him, just as someone who has been accused of revising history re Poch, I think there is a ton of revision being done now re Eriksen)

What tinkles me off is that he's a fantastic player and he's letting us and himself down with his current performances. his own professional pride should drive him to give his best in every game rather than dialling them in.

You are effing kidding me.

If you don't think Kane's finishing is better than good and his passing, long and short, has been nothing short of exceptional this last year....I don't know what to say.
At ALMOST EVERYTHING. Point being that he has no weak areas, if that wasn't clear. It sounded right in my head. I have stated numerous times that Kane has no weak areas, but that is of course easier for me to remember as I post so infrequently. He can certainly pick a pass, and of course no one can argue that his finishing isn't on par with the best in the world. I thought that was self explanatory.

I could apologize for the misunderstanding, but I don't feel like doing that regardless of an opinion forwarded on an Internet forum.

At ALMOST EVERYTHING. Point being that he has no weak areas, if that wasn't clear. It sounded right in my head. I have stated numerous times that Kane has no weak areas, but that is of course easier for me to remember as I post so infrequently. He can certainly pick a pass, and of course no one can argue that his finishing isn't on par with the best in the world. I thought that was self explanatory.

I could apologize for the misunderstanding, but I don't feel like doing that regardless of an opinion forwarded on an Internet forum.
Apologies accepted:D

#pedantalert

Me too, though Jon actually used it incorrectly - it’s a common misconception that it means ‘indifferent’, when actually it means ‘mixed feelings’ or ‘contradictory ideas’.

If The Ghost of Christian Eriksen didn’t have “mixed feelings” about whether or not he could be bothered to score, or “contradictory ideas” about if he’d rather be playing for Madrid or Barcelona, then I’m a monkeys uncle! :D

Back