• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Paulo Gazzaniga

True but they were all saves you would expect a keeper to make

his passing though is truly world class

It was nerve wracking at the time but yes, he dealt with most Liverpool attempts fairly perfunctorily - although there were probably two pretty good saves in there. If I was a Liverpool fan (spit; wash my mouth out), I’d be pretty critical of many of their shots as they didn’t really test our keeper, they should have done better.

Distribution-wise, he’s a different league to Hugo.

It was nerve wracking at the time but yes, he dealt with most Liverpool attempts fairly perfunctorily - although there were probably two pretty good saves in there. If I was a Liverpool fan (spit; wash my mouth out), I’d be pretty critical of many of their shots as they didn’t really test our keeper, they should have done better.

Distribution-wise, he’s a different league to Hugo.

Their shots reflected the Xg which for once IMO reflected the game

So 2.6 - 1.6 overall (assuming 8 out of 10 penalties are scored). So the game was reflective of the chances overall?
Yeah
It’s rare from what I’ve seen for it to be right

people don’t like it but it’s actually a very simple and effective tool to rate chances
What I don’t know is how it factors in opposition, weather and other variables that can affect a chances likelihood of going in

Yeah
It’s rare from what I’ve seen for it to be right

people don’t like it but it’s actually a very simple and effective tool to rate chances
What I don’t know is how it factors in opposition, weather and other variables that can affect a chances likelihood of going in
It doesn't. It's a pure measure of how good quality a chance is. While it takes into account things like how the chance came about, e.g. whether it was a through-ball, a free kick, a cross from the wing, etc., it doesn't factor in much else. The opposition is sort of factored in by the type of chance, e.g. whether they're sitting back and allowing pot-shots from outside the area vs a defence that's vulnerable to being sliced apart.

Some teams consistently defy xG. For example, Liverpool that season that Salah was absolutely on fire regularly did better than their attacking xG would suggest, as would any team with truly elite finishing. I think that same season saw ManU do much better than their defensive xG suggested, thanks to de Gea having a season-long blinder.

It doesn't. It's a pure measure of how good quality a chance is. While it takes into account things like how the chance came about, e.g. whether it was a through-ball, a free kick, a cross from the wing, etc., it doesn't factor in much else. The opposition is sort of factored in by the type of chance, e.g. whether they're sitting back and allowing pot-shots from outside the area vs a defence that's vulnerable to being sliced apart.

Some teams consistently defy xG. For example, Liverpool that season that Ham Salad was absolutely on fire regularly did better than their attacking xG would suggest, as would any team with truly elite finishing. I think that same season saw ManU do much better than their defensive xG suggested, thanks to de Gea having a season-long blinder.

Makes sense

New number 1? He's getting there.
He is looking good. Not a bad goalie either!

His distribution is better than Lloris's and his shot-stopping seems decent. He doesn't get down low quite as quickly though, I think. He seems to command the area well, which is always a good sign.

What I'm not sure about is how well he organises the defence. Hard to tell with our rather unstable back line at the moment though.

first couple of games he looked bnervous and let in goals i thought he could have kept out

as with anything, he is looking a lot more confident, and so is the defence (whichever line up we are using, which must be a headache) - first half v poo he was unreal, and only undone in open play in the second half by a shot through two players legs

Back