• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

Did you see Victimpool in that final? They were fudging awful and there for the taking.

They did nothing of note and we somehow contrived to do less.

I read something recently, it may have been on The Athletic, it may have been Jonathan Wilson or Michael Cox, but it talked of the curiosity of Liverpool’s 17 game winning run, when it looked like a lot of games they won through opponents’ mistakes as opposed to necessarily great, dominating play. Particularly since last season where they eased off the pressing but laid more traps deeper.

I’m not saying we played well in the final - and it’s besides the point of the wider debate anyway - but Liverpool’s MO is to force other teams to play their worst game. And they didn’t play that well either, they just had a goal head start and could sit on it. But besides, I don’t think ‘they were there for the taking’ given their form and quality is a reasonable position to take when talking about performances under Poch. And in any case, I think the shape we played lead to a good few breakaways, and our players that needed more composure when it mattered just didn’t bring it. But I don’t think we looked poorly prepared.

I read something recently, it may have been on The Athletic, it may have been Jonathan Wilson or Michael Cox, but it talked of the curiosity of Liverpool’s 17 game winning run, when it looked like a lot of games they won through opponents’ mistakes as opposed to necessarily great, dominating play. Particularly since last season where they eased off the pressing but laid more traps deeper.

I’m not saying we played well in the final - and it’s besides the point of the wider debate anyway - but Liverpool’s MO is to force other teams to play their worst game. And they didn’t play that well either, they just had a goal head start and could sit on it. But besides, I don’t think ‘they were there for the taking’ given their form and quality is a reasonable position to take when talking about performances under Poch. And in any case, I think the shape we played lead to a good few breakaways, and our players that needed more composure when it mattered just didn’t bring it. But I don’t think we looked poorly prepared.

Liverpool’s MO has not changed
Hit the full backs, then hit the wide players to attack centrally
Their not a sophisticated side, their a bloody effective side

unless you genuinely consider hitting the ball at Sisoskos armpit via a defection off his leg as a plan

and they really were there for the taking in the final as they were poor taking post shots and struggling to keep the ball

Liverpool’s MO has not changed
Hit the full backs, then hit the wide players to attack centrally
Their not a sophisticated side, their a bloody effective side

unless you genuinely consider hitting the ball at Sisoskos armpit via a defection off his leg as a plan

and they really were there for the taking in the final as they were poor taking post shots and struggling to keep the ball

that pretty clearly wasn’t the extent of what I was saying.

Mate,
In the spirit of moving on and discussion...

The rift was a culmination of many factors the manager felt had either not been delivered or ignored for some time. It was ugly in the summer for a while. He loves the club, he does, but things were not done. I swear, the whole Netflix thing did not help either, and that didn’t just happen recently.

I understand the reluctance to back him, I really do. Results have been terrible and it is currently a slog. I have my reasons - specified many times- but again, I see why there is a counter-view.

The only thing I ever won’t acknowledge is that “this” is all his fault. Because it isn’t.

As for your Allegri point, he was planning to take a full season out of football and review options this summer (as I was told). Of course he might well change his mind, but that was the thought process...

Speaking only for myself, I dont blame Poch for everything that has occurred, I think there is a number of things, from a number of angles, and certainly a degree of stuff "happening to him".

Where I think he is at fault is in how he has/hasnt handled these issues. For me - regardless of where things came from - much is for him to fix, and I dont see that happening (from my limited viewpoint, of course). THAT is my issue, and pretty much the entirety of my issue.

All I was picking up from your post was the idea Poch wasnt committed, to the degree we were apparently looking to his replacements - if it was that close to the manager leaving - then I think that is far more destabalising than someone like Eriksen playing contract chicken.

I remember the reports of Allegri wanting a year out, but would be surprised personally if he really does see that period out - I think a good opportunity will be impossible to refuse. He has at this point had 5 months off already, could even be getting a bit stir crazy...

Always think the words aren’t massively important, especially as english is not his first language but he doesn’t seem very happy and more confrontational than he used to be.

He is under pressure. Increasingly so. This reflects that.

I dont think its anything mind blowing, pretty expected really.

If we win the next few games he'll be back to happy cheeky Poch.

Always think the words aren’t massively important, especially as english is not his first language but he doesn’t seem very happy and more confrontational than he used to be.

I grant you the second language thing, but words are extremely important in times of crisis, they need to be clear, optimistic, outline a vision and take responsibility. Not create more ambiguity or confusion.

"So, Serge Aurier isn't in the squad due to form?"
"No, just decisions...my decisions"

Due to this forum I instantly thought "lemons" haha
I was pleased Aurier wasn’t taken, until I realised that keeps him fresh for the prem game!

To be fair to him, if I had to sit and be interrogated by the pricks from the press, Id be quite narky even when things were going well.

I dont think he was all that bad really.
Lol. I’d be the same.

Ultimately it’s the performance and results that I care about but I’d just like to be convinced that Poch still wants to fix the situation and has a plan to do so, especially while the performances and results are a way off what we’ve come to expect.
I can accept not refreshing the squad means we have to face a dip, but he’d always used his resources well and placed a strong focus on the collective and squad harmony, I don’t see this with the current rotation and picking players off form who don’t have a future at the club.

I grant you the second language thing, but words are extremely important in times of crisis, they need to be clear, optimistic, outline a vision and take responsibility. Not create more ambiguity or confusion.
It was more about how to interpret the end of an era thing, but yes it would be good to understand what his vision is, as it isn’t clear from what I’ve seen on the pitch this season.

Mate,

In the spirit of moving on and discussion...

The rift was a culmination of many factors the manager felt had either not been delivered or ignored for some time. It was ugly in the summer for a while. He loves the club, he does, but things were not done. I swear, the whole Netflix thing did not help either, and that didn’t just happen recently.

I understand the reluctance to back him, I really do. Results have been terrible and it is currently a slog. I have my reasons - specified many times- but again, I see why there is a counter-view.

The only thing I ever won’t acknowledge is that “this” is all his fault. Because it isn’t.

As for your Allegri point, he was planning to take a full season out of football and review options this summer (as I was told). Of course he might well change his mind, but that was the thought process...

Obviously not EVERYTHING is his fault. However, I totted up recently how many players have been brought in during his term as manager/coach. In 5 and a half years, how many do you think that amounts to? To say he hasn't been backed by Levy is patent nonsense. He knew the parameters he was working under. It was up to him to make the most of it. A staggering 26 players have been signed by him. Yes that is correct - twenty six players bought by Poch.

Many of HIS signings have been absolute duds. To think he has had no responsibility for their recruitment is just naive. Yes he may not have had the funds available to sign recognised superstars (not many teams can!) but overall HIS recruitment has been extremely poor. Remember, the vast majority of our stars were here before his tenure began - Kane, Lloris, Walker, Rose, Dembele, Verts, Eriksen and Lamela. By and large, with a few exceptions, he hasn't improved the quality of our team. The jury is still out with regard to N'Dombele, Lo Celso and Sessignon - but Poch certainly doesn't have a stellar reputation for picking great transfer targets.

Last edited:
Can't help but worried about Pochettino's future as the Spurs manager. It seems like the players have become too comfortable with him and they don't react to his instructions anymore. Want him to continue at Spurs but not sure if we can afford to keep him if we continue to slide down the league table.

Back