• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

His options of bringing in new players are limited if the chairman won't sell unwanted players. I think that he has tried to come up with formations/tactics to cover our weaknesses, with considerable success but at the cost of us playing fudging awful football. If we want to play free flowing, attacking football, we need our new signings up to speed and in the first team, better fullbacks and a new centre back.

It feels like he settled, like he didn’t push back enough, he’s got the squad he accepted, could he have done more to convince Levy to drop prices, could he have done more to make players feel less welcome?

Also, to repeat myself, it’s not just about buying new players, get better performances from what you do have.

The system is reliant on fast attacking full backs (like Liverpool), a press resistant midfielder to move the ball forward, a defensive midfielder to shield the defence and a creative number 9/10.

All top managers have systems that require certain key players. Poch is no different. We have Full backs which are not as good as previously, Skipp, Winks and Sissoko replacing Wanyama, Dembele and Uber Dier. We have a shell of a player in Eriksen.

Ndombele is replacing Dembele, Lo Celso will replace Eriksen eventually but needs time. So we are still short one or two players. I have seen improvement in our defending on the last 3 games which is a start. Poch needs to find a way of compensating for Eriksen's drop in performance.

the system needs to be based on what he has available, anything else is bad management

I was looking at our form last season to see where we trailed off

TAFBDt1.png

I was wondering was there an international break between that Dortmund and Burnley games. But no that was a FA week we had off.
But that Burnley game was the Mike Dean game where Poch completely lost his brick at the end.
We have it seems never recovered from that moment.

The rot started after we got rid of Dembele.

the system needs to be based on what he has available, anything else is bad management
It is. But the top managers need the right players to get the best out of their system. Just look at Mourinho's struggles at Utd, Pep's first season at City before he bought in the players he needed. Klopp too before his success. That's not bad management that is system based elite sport. With the greatest respect your view of what is bad management is outdated.

It is. But the top managers need the right players to get the best out of their system. Just look at Mourinho's struggles at Utd, Pep's first season at City before he bought in the players he needed. Klopp too before his success. That's not bad management that is system based elite sport. With the greatest respect your view of what is bad management is outdated.

None of those guys had their teams at 11th though ..

The circumstances are understandable re not getting the best results or competing with the best teams.

What is not understandable is seemingly not being able to compete with the worse teams ..

your examples are of managers in new surroundings, he’s been here for half a decade, he should have signed the replacements he wants now two years ago

is it a system if you are not prepared for it?

None of those guys had their teams at 11th though ..

The circumstances are understandable re not getting the best results or competing with the best teams.

What is not understandable is seemingly not being able to compete with the worse teams ..
Do you not remember Klopp's first two seasons when his record was compared to Brendan Rodgers' last season, I think over 50 games and it was no better? It was a bit of a joke on here. He only started to improve after he start ed to bring in his own players.

Last edited:
your examples are of managers in new surroundings, he’s been here for half a decade, he should have signed the replacements he wants now two years ago

is it a system if you are not prepared for it?
You're right he should have and it has cost us. But there have been constraints on transfers.
Winning teams are built in cycles. Klopp learnt that at Dortmund. Mourinho learnt at Chelsea and Utd. You have to keep refreshing them. If you can't then it doesn't matter how many years in you are. We are in a down cycle currently.

Do you not remember Klopp's first two seasons when his record was compared to Brendan Rodgers, I think over 50 games and it was no better? It was a bit of a joke on here. He only started to improve after he start ed to bring in his own players.

he didn’t improve, other teams dropped back

It seems clear that Poch is not going to turn this around. He seems to have run out of ideas and now is fully going against his own ideals by playing the likes of Alli and Eriksn no matter what.
The coaching skills he used to show just arent there now, and the background noise about "players having different agendas", "contract issues" etc doesn't bhide the fact that most of the players are now going backwards in terms of their gameplay levels. Is there ANY player who has improved their level of play in the last 18 months?

It's a real shame as i honestly believe he's been "Levy'd" like many a club out there and i think his mind has been frazzled ever since: remember when he wanted the club to do things differently and be brave? Well, they're certainly being brave now, but too little too late (there has always seemed an endless list of excuses to use for not pushing the club onwards from a FOOTBALLING perspective...even when so many things are in the clubs favour...)

Oh well, Spuzy on the picth, Spurzy in the boardroom

Last edited:
I was looking at our form last season to see where we trailed off

TAFBDt1.png

I was wondering was there an international break between that Dortmund and Burnley games. But no that was a FA week we had off.
But that Burnley game was the Mike Dean game where Poch completely lost his brick at the end.
We have it seems never recovered from that moment.

That was indeed a key moment, especially after all the stuff he complained about to the press and FA about ow Dortmund had such an advantage over us because they had an extra day or two to prepare for our game compared to us....the joke being that Burnley had less time to prepare for our game than us as we had a free weekend beforehand after our Dortmund heroics!

Tbh, i actually think his comments after the game about how "it would take 10 years for him to change the player's mentality" was probably what started our malaise - and that just weeks after saying "a trophy is only for egos"...

So it’s gotta be a 3 goal win otherwise the Manager is doing bad? Thems some high standards.

It’s obvious, but goals massively change games. Sendings off massively change games. We’ve had a penalty call and a sending off go against us today. It could have been a comfortable win. I thought for the most part we were solid, we competed well, and most players save for Eriksen and Lucas had ‘good’ games. We are getting the groove back.

Watching MOTD, the pundits thought Son’s was not a penalty but Deles handball and Sanchez on Richarlison were both pens. Apart from Son’s sending off, we rode our luck again today with the decisions.

BoL watching a different game to me if he did. Our XG was something like 0.3 !!!! We only created 4 attempts on goal all game and only 2 on target !!!!
With a bit of luck we could have won it. But we didn't deserve it on the way we played. We were awful in the final third. Poch needs to replace Eriksen's creativity and Wanyama's steel.

When Poch came, he got rid of the old guard, and got better results than now with a worse team. He got the best out of what he had.
Now he's wedded to the old guard.
For anyone saying he couldn't sign the players he needs, he could buy, it was just with a zero net spend, like its always been.

Back