• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Harry Winks

I think its the case that theres more than one way to skin a cat.

Nobody replaces Eriksen as directly as playing the way Eriksen plays. However, there are ways to get the same result by different means.

From what Ive seen of Lo Celso (admittedly not masses) he is a very competent footballer, both dribbling and passing and shooting, and could operate in that Eriksen zone very effectively.

Though my expectation from the summer was always a midfield 3, most likely Winks/NDombele/LoCelso (but with Sissoko/Dier etc as options).

I think its the case that theres more than one way to skin a cat.

Nobody replaces Eriksen as directly as playing the way Eriksen plays. However, there are ways to get the same result by different means.

From what Ive seen of Lo Celso (admittedly not masses) he is a very competent footballer, both dribbling and passing and shooting, and could operate in that Eriksen zone very effectively.

Though my expectation from the summer was always a midfield 3, most likely Winks/NDombele/LoCelso (but with Sissoko/Dier etc as options).
My hope and expectations CM wise were much the same and I'm still hopeful that is somewhat the plan.

I see we are being linked with Fernandes again which is likely just press speculation but if we had brought him in he would be the most direct Eriksen replacement in terms of playstyle. It does make me wonder what exactly the plan for the shape was.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Fapatalk

My hope and expectations CM wise were much the same and I'm still hopeful that is somewhat the plan.

I see we are being linked with Fernandes again which is likely just press speculation but if we had bought him in he would be the most direct Eriksen replacement in terms of playstyle. It does make me wonder what exactly the plan for the shape was.

Same, Alli, Lo Celso, Lamela and Fernandez - somethings got to give...

Same, Alli, Lo Celso, Lamela and Fernandez - somethings got to give...
Lamela I could see being dropped to the bench, he's never really been a consistent starter as yet under Poch. But we know Ali is a favourite and has typically started when for so yeah it's an interesting cunnundum that unfortunately we never got to experience.

Ps. Then you add Dybala and I get really confused. [emoji28]

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Fapatalk

Yeah that's what i was getting at - i thought legohamster was suggesting Winks played a different position/role for England than he has been for Spurs

I think Poch wants Lo Celso for one of the right/left roles in the midfield diamond (N'Dombele in the other). Fernandez would compete with Dele for the place at the tip. Lamela drops to the bench to cover Lo Celso I think.

We still don't have the right player for the base of the diamond, even if that is the thinking. Thats going to be the issue, and Dier isnt the answer!

Speaking to Match Centre on Sky Sports News (15/10/2019 at 10:40 am), former Three Lions coach, McClaren was seriously impressed with what he saw from Winks on Monday.

"Winks coming in gave England more balance in midfield and more mobility," McClaren told Sky Sports. "He was busy. He was aggressive and he got the ball linked.

"And that key thing in that position, I always remember Sir Alex telling me, a key thing about a midfield player is that his first look has always got to be forward. Always got to be forward! And on Friday [against the Czech Republic], Rice got the ball, Henderson got the ball and the ball was square and back. It killed England.

"What Winks did and brought to the party was positive attacking. He was always looking to play that ball forward. I thought he was impressive in terms of that."

Steve Mclaren said:
a key thing about a midfield player is that his first look has always got to be forward. Always got to be forward! And on Friday [against the Czech Republic], Rice got the ball, Henderson got the ball and the ball was square and back. It killed England.

"What Winks did and bought to the party was positive attacking. He was always looking to play that ball forward. I thought he was impressive in terms of that."
Jesus Christ. How about a bit of context Steve?

Against the Czech high press our midfield were pushed backwards. Against a terribly weak Bulgaria team our midfield were allowed all the time in the world.

You can't compare the 2 situations. What a wet idiot.

Back